Jdub

Recipe suggestion

46 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2018 at 5:59 PM, RickBeer said:

If you put any glass of beer in the sun, it will be skunked within a minute.

A friend of mine stopped at a beer garden in the summer, and went to their patio.  Seeing there was no shade, no umbrellas, he left, because he knew the beer would be ruined.

Here, in AZ, during the hot season, I either drink indoors, or, if out side, I will use a ceramic stein with a pewter top.  Top primary for keeping small flying critters out of my beer because I don't like to share.  Steins can be cooled as desired and help the beer stay cooler.

10620717_10204247408418471_1710465230858287992_n.jpg

Shrike, Timelordjason and D Kristof like this

4 minutes ago, DrMJG said:

Here, in AZ, during the hot season, I either drink indoors, or, if out side, I will use a ceramic stein with a pewter top.  Top primary for keeping small flying critters out of my beer because I don't like to share.  Steins can be cooled as desired and help the beer stay cooler.

10620717_10204247408418471_1710465230858287992_n.jpg

It's too damn hot to be doing anything outside during the summer in AZ anyway! :lol:

12 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Huh? How so? What are they doing to prevent lightstrike of the hop oils? This I would like to know.

https://www.brewsnews.com.au/2010/08/07/beer-bottles-the-answer-is-not-clear/

"Apart from storing beer in light-proof containers, the photosensitivity of beer can be reduced by chemically altering the iso-α-acids so that the chemical precursor to the photochemical reaction responsible for producing the lightstruck flavour is not present within the beer."

And no, this isn't something for the average Mini Yoda

12 hours ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

Ummmmm, when exactly did Miller become beer?

There were a beer for a very long time.  Then came micro brews that showed Miller what *beer* should be

Timelordjason likes this

How do you KNOW for a fact it would happen to a rice beer?
Lucky Buddah is the only rice beer i have ever found and would love to make some but i am telling you it tastes amazing there is no skunk despite the green bottles. I love the bottles they are artistic.

I mean They use completely different yeast and ingredients.

It would only happen to rice beer if it has hops to cut down the sweetness of the malt.  Based on this thread

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/rice-beer-from-scratch.25338/

and going out on links on it, it does not appear that true rice beer uses hops, so I doubt the green bottle is an issue here.  Plus, considering Asian cultures love jade, the green bottle does make a nice effect.  Still brewing rice beer doesn't sound very easy. 

D Kristof and Timelordjason like this

On 2/13/2018 at 5:46 PM, MRB Josh R said:

Huh? How so? What are they doing to prevent lightstrike of the hop oils? This I would like to know.

For those of you who are new to the internet. There's something known as a search engine. 

Let me google that for you.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=miller+hops+skunk

As an aside: Seriously? You didn't know this?

10 hours ago, bpgreen said:

For those of you who are new to the internet. There's something known as a search engine. 

Let me google that for you.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=miller+hops+skunk

As an aside: Seriously? You didn't know this?

No, I did not know this because I don't drink Miller, nor do I have any desire to research their recipes. I have heard of tetra iso-extract, but didn't realize Miller was using it. I assumed they were using some sort of chemical treatment. Again, I don't drink Miller.

The reason I ask here is because this is a FORUM, which is intended for discussion among the forum members. These discussions wouldn't happen if everyone just went to Google.

gophers6, Shrike, dale hihn and 4 others like this

I have to agree with Timelordjason, Lucky Buddha is pretty good. That was the first beer my wife asked if I could replicate with MB. They don't have any Asian style beers. 

Timelordjason likes this

On 2/15/2018 at 11:45 AM, Marius said:

I have to agree with Timelordjason, Lucky Buddha is pretty good. That was the first beer my wife asked if I could replicate with MB. They don't have any Asian style beers. 

MR. BEER
Please develop some asian style beers
PLEASE? PRETTY PLEASE? @MRB Josh R PSST PASS IT ON?

On 2/15/2018 at 9:21 AM, MRB Josh R said:

No, I did not know this because I don't drink Miller, nor do I have any desire to research their recipes. I have heard of tetra iso-extract, but didn't realize Miller was using it. I assumed they were using some sort of chemical treatment. Again, I don't drink Miller.

The reason I ask here is because this is a FORUM, which is intended for discussion among the forum members. These discussions wouldn't happen if everyone just went to Google.

I apologize for my previous post. I was trying to be humorous, but I should probably pay more attention to my daughter, who often says, "Dad, you're just not funny." 

I was unnecessarily snarky.

I've never tried (or wanted to try) to clone Miller, either. I just thought it was pretty common knowledge that they used hop extracts instead of hops. 

What I should have posted was something along the lines of:

Miller uses a hop extract (different from hop oils) that has had the compounds that react with sunlight to produce the skunk smell removed. 

I thought that was common knowledge, but it seems that it isn't as well known as I thought.

Here are some links that will explain that (links without the lmgtfy snarkiness)

MRB Josh R and SilverBrewerWI like this

7 hours ago, bpgreen said:

I thought that was common knowledge, but it seems that it isn't as well known as I thought.

Nah, I thought they were just normally bad.  Had no idea they go through extra trouble to be less bad than the next guy, cause in my book, bad is bad no matter the level.  Just saying.

Having spent 5 years Singapore, I drank a goodly numbers brews, including rice beers Yes, Buddha too..  I am on the other side of taste preferences.  Even the national brew, Tiger, struck me as a bit too water for me.  But to each their own.  And I hope you get the taste you desire

Timelordjason likes this

2 hours ago, DrMJG said:

Having spent 5 years Singapore, I drank a goodly numbers brews, including rice beers Yes, Buddha too..  I am on the other side of taste preferences.  Even the national brew, Tiger, struck me as a bit too water for me.  But to each their own.  And I hope you get the taste you desire

Yes I guess everyone has different taste buds. I never tasted it as watery in Lucky Buddah, sapporo, nor Hanamachi. That is all the ones I have tried I think but I feel im forgetting one. Anyway they all taste very deep and rich to me yes they are light but rich not watery to me. In fact i it is a paradox in my head as they taste rich like a dark dark ale but light like Horchata. (Wrap that around your brain, it is hard to imagine i know) They also have a pretty good ABV not associated with watery beer like bud light.