Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vfwrider316

Newb First try this wekend. Horse's Ass Ale

21 posts in this topic

Hello all been reading on and off for couple years now. Between the Harley and the Ol' Lady always was told nope. Now I am finally going to give it a go. I have found a lot of great info on here and await your feed back if a problem arises. Wish me luck

Marius, Kevin Caffrey and dale hihn like this

1 hour ago, Vfwrider316 said:

Hello all been reading on and off for couple years now. Between the Harley and the Ol' Lady always was told nope. Now I am finally going to give it a go. I have found a lot of great info on here and await your feed back if a problem arises. Wish me luck

Welcome to the hobby!  There's a lot of great info on this forum; it's helped my brewing immensely.

18 hours ago, Vfwrider316 said:

Good luck!  Horse's Ass Ale was one of the first recipes I brewed with Mr. Beer and really enjoyed it!  I found that adding 1oz of Brewer's Best Grapefruit Seed was a nice addition as well.

Kevin

Cato and Vfwrider316 like this

Got up and running Monday. Temps perfect 68, Tuesday night could tell fermenting is going. Last night room temp 67 kegs showing 66 no bubbling from top.  Raised temp this morn keg temp 68 no bubbling and it feel cool to touch. I am using 2 gal conical. Any ideas?

dale hihn likes this

I suggest you spend some time reading.  Neither bubbling nor temperature determine whether fermentation is happening.  

Leave it alone, stop checking it, and come back in 18 days.   ;)

Vfwrider316 likes this

Bottled last night lets see what 4 more weeks bring. Started another batch Horse's ass last week lets see which comes out better. 

dale hihn likes this

Welcome to the hobby and the community. Feel free to ask any questions. Might want to check out some of the links in RickBeers signature. The link cover a lot of the basic stuff to get newcomers going.

Thanks KC. I reread his links before I start another batch. Which will hopefully be Saturday making #3 Watermelon Wheat.

1 hour ago, Vfwrider316 said:

I think I am addicted. LOL!

Question - Do you think about brewing beer more than you think about sex?  If so you are addicted.  If not, you are not quite there yet.

:lol::lol::lol:

On 2/27/2018 at 0:55 PM, Vfwrider316 said:

Bottled last night lets see what 4 more weeks bring. Started another batch Horse's ass last week lets see which comes out better. 

Hey how did the horse’s ass ale turn out? Have you tried it yet? I have a batch of it and I’ve been trying a bottle per week and it keeps getting better. Gonna brew that again. 

Jdub  first batch is complete one in fridge and was ok.  2nd a week later and taste some improvement. I had issues with this first one. I have another batch in bottles now and waiting for results. Thinking second will be better than first since this was my very first try.

Shrike, Cato and Jdub like this

On 4/4/2018 at 6:00 AM, Vfwrider316 said:

Jdub  first batch is complete one in fridge and was ok.  2nd a week later and taste some improvement. I had issues with this first one. I have another batch in bottles now and waiting for results. Thinking second will be better than first since this was my very first try.

2nd will undoubtedly be better. I’m in the same boat. Just brewed my 2nd round of HAA this past weekend. Added a pale LME to the recipe and steeped 4 oz of honey malt as per some forum suggestions. Also used US-05 yeast. I have the temp control down tight now. Should be better batch. We’ll have to compare notes. Did you have that apple cider taste on your 1st batch? Good luck!

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:04 AM, Jdub said:

2nd will undoubtedly be better. I’m in the same boat. Just brewed my 2nd round of HAA this past weekend. Added a pale LME to the recipe and steeped 4 oz of honey malt as per some forum suggestions. Also used US-05 yeast. I have the temp control down tight now. Should be better batch. We’ll have to compare notes. Did you have that apple cider taste on your 1st batch? Good luck!

My 2nd is finished and going to try one out this weekend. From my first batch  let the other bottles rest sit for about 6 weeks and BIG difference not too bad for my first try I must say. My 2nd I was low on honey so only about half of a cup was used and added a booster pack. No cider taste at all on 1st

Jdub and dale hihn like this

good for you! the one thing i really like about this hobby is that i can still drink nearly all of my mistakes.  unlike the time i was making a cake and decided to try using coffee mate instead of milk in the batter. god that was awful. one piece and i had to pitch the thing.  it was THAT bad... and this coming from someone so uptight about waste that it kills me to throw anything away. 

Shrike, Jdub and Vfwrider316 like this