Pantooka

Confused about Australian Sparkling Ale

7 posts in this topic

Just brewed the sparkling ale tonight. Put it away at 64F. I plan to ferment for 3 weeks, cold crash for 24 hours, then bottle. If I understand correctly, I should bottle condition for 3 weeks ... question: after reading several comments at the store site, I’m wondering if I should bottle condition at room temperature for 4-8 weeks ... or, do I refrigerate after three weeks and leave it in the cold for a month or two?  Thanks!

I personally don't see a need for the refrigerate for month or two step.  I generally condition at room temps for 3 weeks, then stick a few in the fridge for a few days and try them out.  If I'm good with the first one I taste...  carbonation is good, doesn't taste green/incomplete, I will start putting more in the fridge as I want to drink them.  I generally just do a sixer at a time.  But that's just me.  But to the question of fridge time, I'm of the opinion that in most cases, a few days is fine.  YMMV JMHO

Pantooka likes this

4 hours ago, Pantooka said:

Just brewed the sparkling ale tonight. Put it away at 64F. I plan to ferment for 3 weeks, cold crash for 24 hours, then bottle. If I understand correctly, I should bottle condition for 3 weeks ... question: after reading several comments at the store site, I’m wondering if I should bottle condition at room temperature for 4-8 weeks ... or, do I refrigerate after three weeks and leave it in the cold for a month or two?  Thanks!

I would stick with what the instructions say. 3 weeks ferment + 3 weeks bottle condition. If they're nice and carbonated at that point you can put a couple in the fridge. If you find yourself particularly desperate to try one, I'd give it at least 24 hours in the fridge. That's what I plan on doing with a couple of mine as well. I'll stick to closer to a week for the rest of them. I think the extended time in the refrigerator is supposed to put the yeast to 'sleep' and make them drop out of solution which helps with clarity. I don't know what other benefit leaving an ale in a refrigerator for a month or more would have. I would think an ale should condition better and faster at room temperature.

Pantooka likes this

I know a MAJOR problem you will have if you keep them in the fridge that long. 
And TRUST ME you DO NOT want to have this problem...

That is....

Having beer in the fridge and having a zero blood alcohol content in your body. IE having beer in the fridge and not drinking them. IT IS AWFUL!!

Shrike and Pantooka like this

"Lager" means cold-conditioning. While it's not required, it helps make a very clear and crisp beer. It's most common for lagers (hence their name), but can also be done for many light ale styles. Higher ABV beers and dark beers generally benefit from cellar conditioning instead (55-65 F).

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

"Lager" means cold-conditioning. While it's not required, it helps make a very clear and crisp beer. It's most common for lagers (hence their name), but can also be done for many light ale styles. Higher ABV beers and dark beers generally benefit from cellar conditioning instead (55-65 F).

Thank you so much for clearing all that up. Makes more sense.