Mr.Beer Community
MiniYoda

Second Thoughts on a Porter

just ordered three of these,

https://www.mrbeer.com/barleys-brew-chocolate-orange-stout

To make a nice six gallon batch of stout.  Now, I'm having second thoughts.  Each one requires 3 oranges, which means I have to buy nine oranges for this 6 gallon batch.  I'm reconsidering what I want to do.  First, I can do what I did, an buy the oranges.  Second, I can buy orange peal from the spice isle in the grocery store.  Second, I can do "something else", such as PB2, Oregon Cherries, or......I dunno.  Keep the chocolate, but add "something"

What y'alls think?  "suck it up, buttercup" and buy the nine oranges, short cut with orange peal from the spice rack, or some other flavor?

1 hour ago, MiniYoda said:

just ordered three of these,

https://www.mrbeer.com/barleys-brew-chocolate-orange-stout

To make a nice six gallon batch of stout.  Now, I'm having second thoughts.  Each one requires 3 oranges, which means I have to buy nine oranges for this 6 gallon batch.  I'm reconsidering what I want to do.  First, I can do what I did, an buy the oranges.  Second, I can buy orange peal from the spice isle in the grocery store.  Second, I can do "something else", such as PB2, Oregon Cherries, or......I dunno.  Keep the chocolate, but add "something"

What y'alls think?  "suck it up, buttercup" and buy the nine oranges, short cut with orange peal from the spice rack, or some other flavor?

Often I tell myself “the more effort I put into a batch, the better it will be”. It proven itself 100% of the time. I say suck it up and make those oranges your b***h

What these guys said.  I used to make homemade Limoncello.  It required the zest of 15 lemons.  It was a pain zesting them and making sure zero pith got in by mistake.  I'd just sit down in front of the tube with a hockey game on and get busy.  When it came time to taste the liqueur, I was always reminded of why it was time well spent.

8 hours ago, Timelordjason said:

Wondering what some naval oranges would do instead of regular ones or if you could do grapefruit or maybe guava?????? Sorry if this is stupid still a newby lol

Go look at the recipe.  It is the ZEST of the oranges that is used, not the fruit.  

one possible option, which I won't try, is to go to the spice rack of the grocery store and buy orange peel already made.  I've seen it, and lemon peel, and it looks dry.  Probably still has some of the oils needed for flavor, but being dry I wonder how much of the flavor might be lost in the pre-zested stuff.

When it comes to citrus beers, such as orange, lemon, lime or grapefruit, the best is fresh.  But anyone who cooks for a living or love of the art will tell you, fresh is best.

My thing is this.  It isn't about zesting 9 oranges to make three batches of Barley's Chocolate Orange Brew, it's.......how well does orange go with chocolate.  I've had chocolate with cherries, raspberries, and peanut butter.  I'm not so lazy that I won't zest nine oranges, I just wonder if there is a flavor that would be better, and more appreciated by women, who love chocolate and have a stronger sense of taste than I do.

Again, just me overthinking things.

16 hours ago, Timelordjason said:

Wondering what some naval oranges would do instead of regular ones or if you could do grapefruit or maybe guava?????? Sorry if this is stupid still a newby lol

Navels should be fine.  I think that grapefruit would be too tart for a stout (but probably tasty in a pale ale or hoppy brew).  I've never tasted guava peel (only guava paste and guava juice) so can't help you there.

16 minutes ago, Shrike said:

Navels should be fine.  I think that grapefruit would be too tart for a stout (but probably tasty in a pale ale or hoppy brew).  I've never tasted guava peel (only guava paste and guava juice) so can't help you there.

Interesting. I have a long way to go before i jump into recipes like this but i love asking questions and learning and you guys answer are totally helping me learn. 

1 hour ago, MiniYoda said:

one possible option, which I won't try, is to go to the spice rack of the grocery store and buy orange peel already made.  I've seen it, and lemon peel, and it looks dry.  Probably still has some of the oils needed for flavor, but being dry I wonder how much of the flavor might be lost in the pre-zested stuff.

When it comes to citrus beers, such as orange, lemon, lime or grapefruit, the best is fresh.  But anyone who cooks for a living or love of the art will tell you, fresh is best.

My thing is this.  It isn't about zesting 9 oranges to make three batches of Barley's Chocolate Orange Brew, it's.......how well does orange go with chocolate.  I've had chocolate with cherries, raspberries, and peanut butter.  I'm not so lazy that I won't zest nine oranges, I just wonder if there is a flavor that would be better, and more appreciated by women, who love chocolate and have a stronger sense of taste than I do.

Again, just me overthinking things.

https://www.homebrewing.org/Sweet-Orange-Peel-1oz_p_219.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIro2Pmp2c2QIVg7fACh1PggXwEAQYAiABEgLbgvD_BwE