Mr.Beer Community

Hello,

Looking forward in my upcoming brew schedule, I want to make an easy drinking summertime fruity beer.  I have an extra can of Canadian Blond HME, and plan on using that.  I have really liked the partial mash recipes that I have been doing.  I haven't decided on the fruit to be used yet, but am leaning toward strawberry or perhaps Boysenberry.

My thought for the recipe is to partial mash 4oz of Pilsen Malt, 2 oz of Carapils, 4 oz of 2-Row, and 2-4 oz of red wheat flakes.  This would get added to the canned HME.  (note:  regular LBK size 2-1/2 gallon recipe).

I am not looking to make a super strong beer, but not sure how much the above will add to the OG.  If necessary, I could add some DME, but don't think that will be needed.  I would brew this with either Mt. Hood hops or Glacier Hops.  After 3 weeks in primary, I would rack to secondary and add the fruit for another 2-3 weeks.  I would use a clean yeast such as WLP001, WLP051 or WLP029.

In regards to the fruit, i plan on washing real good, then soaking the outside for a few minutes in sanitizer.  I would then blend the fruit into a nice slurry in a sanitized blender, and add the beer on top.

Anybody have any other suggestions?  Does this recipe seam to be too much going on, or am I on the right track?

I have noticed that, some go up to about 12 oz of grains, but almost all add DME or LME.  If I don't include the additional extract, I would think this would be within the normal range.  I could cut back on the amounts and add the extracts if necessary.  That is why I am coming on here for suggestions.

The first question is WHY?  What is the purpose of each of the grains - 4oz of Pilsen Malt, 2 oz of Carapils, 4 oz of 2-Row, and 2-4 oz of red wheat flakes?  If you cannot answer that question, then you shouldn't be using them.  Free software like QBrew will show you the impact to ABV, color, etc, but I'm more asking - why those 4 specific grains?

Second - there is ZERO reason to do a secondary.

Third - soaking fruit in sanitizer?  Never heard of that.  Soaking in VODKA, yes.  

As to using fresh fruit?  Not a wonderful idea, they make fruit ready to go into a recipe.  Checkout Oregon Fruit.  They are ASEPTIC, and PASTEURIZED.  You always want to use pasteurized fruit.  

My reasoning for the malts:  Red wheat flakes will give the beer a wheat like taste/flavor.  Most fruit beers that I have enjoyed are a wheat based beer.  From my research, you can't just add an abjunct (like wheat) without an equal or larger amount of a malt.  I chose to split my malts between 2-row and Pilsen.  I don't want a really dark beer, and I think this will help with the body and light taste I am looking for.  The smaller amount of carapils, will be added to enhance foam retention to accentuate the fruit flavors in the beer.

Many other brewers use fresh fruit for the additions.  Vodka is probably a better idea than sanitizer, I will do that.  I want to use fresh because in general, I think fresh ingredients are better than processed ingredients.  If the fruit is washed clean, then sanitized in vodka, I would imagine the threat of contamination/infection would be small.

I am not familiar with Qbrew.  I will try that.  Thank you.

I know you have the Canadian Blonde already, but why not  use the Bavarian Wheat HME if you want a wheat flavor, and use the Canadian Blonde for something else?

If you are going to buy grain anyway  you may as well get the wheat HME I figure. But The Canadian Blonde will make a fine drinkable beer too.

If you have Amazon Prime you can get it for under $17 in 2 days.

21 minutes ago, Bad Andy said:

My reasoning for the malts:  Red wheat flakes will give the beer a wheat like taste/flavor.  Most fruit beers that I have enjoyed are a wheat based beer.  From my research, you can't just add an abjunct (like wheat) without an equal or larger amount of a malt.  I chose to split my malts between 2-row and Pilsen.  I don't want a really dark beer, and I think this will help with the body and light taste I am looking for.  The smaller amount of carapils, will be added to enhance foam retention to accentuate the fruit flavors in the beer.

2 to 4 oz of flaked wheat is not going to make much of a difference.  If you want a wheat like beer you need to make at least 40% of the fermentables be wheat.  I would use a wheat LME or DME instead of flaked wheat in an extract beer.  I don't understand both Pilsen and 2-row unless that is what you have on hand.  I would choose one or the other but neither is really necessary if you add more wheat.  The carapils will help with head retention but so will the wheat.

Many other brewers use fresh fruit for the additions.  Vodka is probably a better idea than sanitizer, I will do that.  I want to use fresh because in general, I think fresh ingredients are better than processed ingredients.  If the fruit is washed clean, then sanitized in vodka, I would imagine the threat of contamination/infection would be small.

Fresh fruit is fine once it is sanitized and pureed but with the concerns about infection even after you take precautions, I would go with the prepared purees that @RickBeer referred to.  These are made for beer and wine making and thus are not processed as you would think.

I am not familiar with Qbrew.  I will try that.  Thank you.

9 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

2 to 4 oz of flaked wheat is not going to make much of a difference.  If you want a wheat like beer you need to make at least 40% of the fermentables be wheat.  I would use a wheat LME or DME instead of flaked wheat in an extract beer.  I don't understand both Pilsen and 2-row unless that is what you have on hand.  I would choose one or the other but neither is really necessary if you add more wheat.  The carapils will help with head retention but so will the wheat.

Fresh fruit is fine once it is sanitized and pureed but with the concerns about infection even after you take precautions, I would go with the prepared purees that @RickBeer referred to.  These are made for beer and wine making and thus are not processed as you would think.

I would figure that any other non fresh fruit (that is sealed up) is also sanitized - especially if they have a far off use by date. So dried, or canned or frozen is also probably fine.

Citrus peel is also an easy flavoring sweet/bitter orange, lemon, tangerine, grapefruit, lime. That can make a very refreshing summer beer andf now is a good time for brewing it (reminds self - oh I see a Wit beer in my next month's brewing list already. Hmm - what flavor? :lol:)

e.g. I used dried apricots whizzed up with boiling water and that was good.

If you hare fruit with seeds like berried, don't blend them. I did that with blackberries and it cut up the seeds and it made a bitterness I did not like.

But watch out for preservatives, esecially any that might inhibit the yeast.

This was a lovely fruity beer, with a lot from the hops.

Zest here is just the outside colored peel grated with the X grater pattern, not taking off any white pith,

Fruity Wheat 2
HME Bav Weissbier
Extra Malt - 8 oz Wheat DME
4 oz Instant Oats steeped 30 min ( I know one is supposed to put in enzyme rich grain too but it turned out OK)
5g Coriander, 1 orange zest boil with 1st hop 5 min.
(mix up 0.5 oz Galaxy Hop/0.5 oz Nelson Sauvin Hop . )
    Boil 0.5 oz of hop mixture 5 min. leave in fermenter.
    add the other 0.5 oz hops at flameout
Use saved WLP40  yeast or similar.

Here is another

Citrous Wit
BavWeissbr HME, 12 oz wheat DME  ~ 4.5%
Grains 30 min - 4 oz Flaked Wht, 4oz 2 row, 4 oz inst oatmeal, strain and drain and rinse and make up liquid to 4 cups approx.
add zest from 3 mandarins, 1 lime and
 Hop 0.5 oz Amarillo in a bag and boil 5 min

juice the fruit and add it.
Blend/whizz a can of Mandarin oranges and put in the  in same bag with  0.5 Mandarina Bav hop at flameout (bring to boil to sterilize with juice from Limes and Mandarins. then add HME/DME),

I moved the hop/fruit bags into the LBK before dissolving the extract.
WLP400 yeast
0.5 Mandarina Bav  (2 wk dryhop)