Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
epete28

Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout at 4 weeks

5 hours ago, epete28 said:

Tasted the 1st one of these beers and I can say even at 4 weeks that this is one of the best I've made. I'm impressed, this beer is plain ol delicious!

I bottled a batch Nov 17, put 2 in the fridge mid January.  You sir have prompted me to go grab one for later this evening.

2 hours ago, Lorenzai said:

I'm not usually a fan of beers with any kind of adjuncts in them, but this seems like a really solid recipe and a great way to step up into partial mash. I'm definitely considering it based on the description.

You won't be disappointed, it's quite tasty.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:25 PM, Lorenzai said:

Actually I am a little disappointed. They're out of stock!  Hope they get some more in soon.

The chocolate malt is out of stock, but the warehouse should have received the new shipment today. It should be back in stock by tomorrow or Saturday.

On 3/18/2018 at 7:42 AM, 76shovel said:

Mine is 4 months in and it's just getting better. This is a good beer.

I just got mine in the mail yesterday evening. I ordered an extra LME 'robust' packet and also a packet of booster to add to it. Does this recipe lack in body? I want to add more body and flavor without fundamentally changing the flavor of the beer. Also, did you guys follow the recipe exactly, or did you use all of the grain? I don't know what I'm going to do with 2oz of chocolate and 2oz of 2 row laying around, but I don't want to upset the balance of the beer by using it all.

I have to agree with @RickBeer on this one.  The oatmeal will add body and the smooth LME will also add body without adding the dark malt bitterness that Robust LME would do.  A good Oatmeal Stout doesn't have much of that dark grain bitterness and I think you will be sorry if you mess with the recipe.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dawg

10 hours ago, Lorenzai said:

I just got mine in the mail yesterday evening. I ordered an extra LME 'robust' packet and also a packet of booster to add to it. Does this recipe lack in body? I want to add more body and flavor without fundamentally changing the flavor of the beer. Also, did you guys follow the recipe exactly, or did you use all of the grain? I don't know what I'm going to do with 2oz of chocolate and 2oz of 2 row laying around, but I don't want to upset the balance of the beer by using it all.

I made it as per the recipe and it's great.

As to what to do with the extra grains:

- put them in a muslin sack and steep in four cups of water for 30 minutes at 155*.

- stir in that extra booster you ordered

- bring to a boil, stir in 1 cup brown sugar until dissolved

- remove from heat and stir in the extra Robust LME you ordered along with one can of St Pat's HME

- ferment in the LBK as normal.  After one week use a very clean spoon to add 2 TBS vanilla extract.  Don't stir, just open the lid, add the vanilla, and close the lid.

-  at bottling, add one shot of cold-brewed coffee to each bottle.

It'll be a nice coffee stout with a hint of vanilla and a little extra ABV.

13 hours ago, Lorenzai said:

Since it was my first time with this brew I went with the recipe.

21 hours ago, 76shovel said:

Since it was my first time with this brew I went with the recipe.

Yeah, I decided to stick with the base recipe instead of adding anything to it. My brew 'day' went well! The wort is pitch black. I eyeballed the amounts of the grain. The only scale I have is in a moving box somewhere and I can't be bothered to go digging for it - lol. I think I accidentally used a little more than half of the chocolate malt, but it'll be just fine I'm sure. I didn't add the booster or the robust LME. I'll save those for the next round.

Now I have to wait for the wort temp to come down before I pitch the yeast. The water I topped off with wasn't as cold as I had hoped, so my wort is still at about 85F. I tossed it in the fridge for awhile and now I'm playing the waiting game. I had meant to take a video of the whole process but I remembered when I was already halfway through. Whoops. Maybe next time.

As far as temp control goes I have recently been putting my fermenters in a dorm type fridge controlled by an inkbird controller set at 65. I tape the probe on the inkbird to the fermenter below the wort level and allow that to dictate the cooling action in the fridge. I leave it there for the first week as I am really only concerned about the high Krausen period.  The basement runs 65-68 most of the time but I'm reading here the wort could go as high as 10F over air temp during High Krausen, hopefully my arrangement will counteract that.

On 3/22/2018 at 4:26 PM, MRB Josh R said:

You want to add more body to the beer, yet have never had the beer? :huh:

I have a problem with not being able to leave recipes alone. lol.  It's a serious condition! Some might even say dangerous. I managed to fight the temptation though, I didn't use the booster packet in it.

1 hour ago, 76shovel said:

As far as temp control goes I have recently been putting my fermenters in a dorm type fridge controlled by an inkbird controller set at 65. I tape the probe on the inkbird to the fermenter below the wort level and allow that to dictate the cooling action in the fridge. I leave it there for the first week as I am really only concerned about the high Krausen period.  The basement runs 65-68 most of the time but I'm reading here the wort could go as high as 10F over air temp during High Krausen, hopefully my arrangement will counteract that.

I'm going to be using ice packs in the vicinity to make sure that my ferment temps stay under control. My first beer (which was only a can of HME) turned out to be a total esterfest. It's got more yeast character than malt lol. That was fermented somewhere between 68-72F room temp and I think that was too high. My second batch turned out good having been fermented at the same temp, but the hop character is so pronounced that I think it might be hiding any imperfections.  I'm hoping to keep it around 65F in the fermenter this time.