Mr.Beer Community
Pantooka

Oktoberfest FG

I am just beginning to use my hydrometer. I didn’t have it when I brewed this batch of Oktoberfest, so, unfortunately, I don’t know the OG. I tested the wort today - just passed 3 weeks: reading was 1.015. Are we there yet?  I fermented pretty cool: 60-64 most of the time. I brought it out at room temperature a couple of days ago to finish: 68-72F. 

As always, thank you to all who give me such great advice!  This forum is wonderful!

RickBeer has it right.  Take another reading.

For what it's worth, I brewed the Oktoberfestivus recipe on 7/29/16 and followed the instructions exactly.  It fermented for 21 days and then I did the cold crash for two days.  I had an OG 1.041 and a FG 1.008.  But your batch may be done at 1.015.

By coincidence (or Providence?) I just finished the last bottle of my Oktoberfestivus this evening.  I had conditioned that bottle for 3 months and it's been in the fridge for 443 days.  It was the best of the batch.  The taste is pretty malty.  Nothing else really spectacular about it.  But, seeing the last one go is still a little tough.

To youdontknowme311: It would be better if one of the more experienced brewers answered this one.  I had kept the LBK in a closet with temps between 58-64. I don’t think the temperature ever reached 65F. Because of that, I wondered if letting it sit just a bit longer at slightly higher temps might help FG. I found that idea in other posts. I’d be interested in others’ take on that. 

Cold crash, then bottle the beer.

You likely read the hydrometer wrong the first time.

58 is too cold.  You want the WORT temp (not the air temp) around 62 - 65.  That means at peak fermentation, it needs to be cooler in the room / fermentation chamber, and as fermentation slacks off it can be warmer, because the fermentation is not generating as much heat.  

Thanks, RickBeer. I’ve been on a slow learning curve re: temp control. Too hot...too cold. The Australian Sparkling Ale fermenting now has been in a room with pretty tight fluctuations...62-65F. High krausen was beautiful to see. 

Also, I did cold crash the Oktoberfest last night (with the spigot end propped up. Sampled this morning out of curiosity. Lots of green apple taste :-(

This hobby requires a few key things.

1) Lasersharp focus on sanitation.

2) Carefully following directions, step by step, not missing any.

3) Patience, patience, patience.

3/4 was developed (3 weeks fermenting, 4 weeks conditioning) because dozens and dozens, if not hundreds of brewers before you tried to speed it up.  You can't.  In fact, years ago Mr. Beer used to say "in as little as 14 days".  Now the instructions say "in 5 to 6 weeks".  That's in large part because of this forum and the feedback they got from us customers.  

On 2/8/2018 at 3:27 PM, RickBeer said:

This hobby requires a few key things.

1) Lasersharp focus on sanitation.

2) Carefully following directions, step by step, not missing any.

3) Patience, patience, patience.

3/4 was developed (3 weeks fermenting, 4 weeks conditioning) because dozens and dozens, if not hundreds of brewers before you tried to speed it up.  You can't.  In fact, years ago Mr. Beer used to say "in as little as 14 days".  Now the instructions say "in 5 to 6 weeks".  That's in large part because of this forum and the feedback they got from us customers.  

I am starting to wonder if 3 weeks fermintation is enough. The instructions say 4 at most and i think if that is the most it can only do better not wrose to push it all the through to the end. I tasted a batch after 3 weeks and was cidery 4 weeks was good and ready to carb. I am also conditioning longer than it says to as many users here have stated it is worth it. It is hard to resist but i would rather have great beer later than sour or lame beer now.

4 hours ago, RickBeer said:

There is ZERO reason to go 4 weeks fermenting.  It won't be better.  The true way to know it's done is with two readings on a hydrometer, but I can tell you that 3 weeks is enough.

Again I tasted it at 3 weeks = cidery
let it go 4 and it was perfect
I do think that is good reason (if it is not perfect keep it going is what I was thinking and at least for me it was the right move. )

and as far as hydrometer I am so confused about them too complicated for me. I almost bought one then watched videos how to use them and my brain started to cramp. When they have something with a simple digital reading to tell you the ABV just by dipping it in i am getting it until then i am afraid i would be struggling to use one.

On 2/8/2018 at 9:20 AM, Pantooka said:

Thanks, RickBeer. I’ve been on a slow learning curve re: temp control. Too hot...too cold. The Australian Sparkling Ale fermenting now has been in a room with pretty tight fluctuations...62-65F. High krausen was beautiful to see. 

Also, I did cold crash the Oktoberfest last night (with the spigot end propped up. Sampled this morning out of curiosity. Lots of green apple taste :-(

Cold crashing my october fest now I had the same green apple sour as all get out taste but I am going to follow RickBeer advice and not get disappointed until 4 weeks of conditioning at least. Btw how did yours turn out after bottling?

On 2/8/2018 at 7:30 AM, RickBeer said:

as fermentation slacks off it can be warmer, because the fermentation is not generating as much heat.  

Wow thanks rickbeer, needed to hear this, I was worried about the temp drop in the keg so I put in warmer place and now I know my instincts were correct

Hi Timelordjason!

The Oktoberfest is conditioning. I may wait past March 9 - 4 weeks - to taste. Interesting tidbit: I had a small amount - maybe 6 or 7 ounces left over. I put it in a container with some priming sugar. At three weeks, I put it in the refrigerator for only 36 hours and then took it with me camping. It didn’t carbonate well. The container wasn’t very good. BUT... the taste, while still a tiny bit green, was really good!  Now I’m looking forward to that first ‘done’ pour!

FF2B2E68-1EE6-4C38-80BF-B996B6961D17.thumb.jpeg.a7abb730039f88c3e0f5b45fd13c6940.jpegThe Oktoberfest is now 7 weeks old...and it is very good!  It had a fuller head, but I didn’t get to the camera right away. The carbonation was perfect. It was a treat on Easter!  I believe the malt will come forward even more in another month, so I’ll let this one continue to condition. Should go from very good to excellent. Again, many thanks to the fine brewers on this forum!  O, I should mention that, while I didn’t have an OG to help me figure out ABV, it must be pretty high: I could definitely feel it after only 12 ounces!