Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fire Rooster

Suggestions-Thoughts ?

39 posts in this topic

Scientific fact that the colder the temp, the less taste can be sensed.  Plus that ice crystals cause foaming, and ice absorbs freezer odors.

Also a fact that we taste with mouth and nose.  If you drink out of standard can, or bottle, you are decreasing taste.  Compare for yourself.  There are now new beer cans with wide open.  That is expressly so that your nose can get aroma which impacts taste.  

Try this experiment.  Take your favorite beer (craft beer, not tasteless beer).  Open the bottle.  Drink some.  Now, pour the rest in a glass.  Drink some.  See if you don't taste more.  

Years ago I always ordered beer in frosted mug.  That's because I didn't know better.

I always prefer Bud in a frosty glass. :lol: But it still gives me a headache.

Definitely agree with the big glass idea. In testing my latest Irish Red against Smithwicks, there was a big difference in aroma. (Smithwicks in a big wide glass, mine in a narrow small glass)

When I put mine in a big glass, the aroma was much closer.

16 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

Two sealed gallons of refrigerated spring water are used for the LBK process.

There is a small amount of water left in 2nd gallon when filled to second line.

Is there an issue if filled a little over the 2nd line on the LBK ?

I have been doing that overfill too.

The new LBKs are so dark I have trouble seeing the line. So I put some thin black tape over the line and that made it more visible when looking through the fill hole.

Thanks all

Budweiser was a guaranteed headache, maybe I'm allergic to beechwood.

Many thoughts shared on beer serving temperatures.

My thoughts:

1. What is the actual temperature of beer as it hits your lips ? Warmer beer decreasing in temperature due to a cooler glass

vs cooler beer increasing in temperature due to a warmer glass.  May not be as much temperature difference as assumed.

2.  Time is a factor, everything wants to get to room temperature, whatever it may be

3.  The degree and length of cooling or warming, by the size and thickness of serving glass.

4. Different types of beers, different serving temperatures.

5.  Personal preference

If a citation is received, can it be paid by mail, or is there a mandated appearance before the tribunal ?

Ordered the Oktoberest lager deluxe refill kit.

Considering the first week of fermentation

to be in a location where air temp is constantly between 59-61.

Is this too cold ?

Thank You

You want the temperature of the wort to be around 65 degrees.  Yes, 59 would be too cold.  However, check the temperature higher up - sometimes on a shelf a few feet off the floor it may be a few degrees warmer.  I'd want around 62 for a minimum.  

RickBeer:

That's what I thought, being deceived by the word Lager.

61 is the warmest spot on a shelf in the basement I can find, only goes lower from there

I'll just use the usual spot where wort temp stays between 62-69.

61 should be fine, because it will warm up from the yeast.

"Lager" should be removed from any product that's actually an ale.  All of Mr. Beer's base refills are ales, and most of everything else is an ale.  They will note in the instructions if it's a lager, and provide special directions.

SilverBrewerWI likes this

When Lager is ever read I can't help but think of how cold can I get it.

Since were talking Ale's I think I found a sweet spot for fermenting.

The spot I use high peaks @ 68-69 for the first few days, then 64-66 for reminder of 3 weeks.

Have bewitched fermenting now. A couple of days it had tons of activity of foam and bubbles.

More activity than previous brews (Long Play, Diablo), but did notice expiration of 2020 on bottom of Bewitched can.

Long play had late 2018, Diablo had early 2019.

Closely monitored stick on thermometer and it seems it peaked @ 68-69 and only several hours.

We keep our house 62 at night so morning wort is around 64 rises to 68-69 first few days, then never goes above 66.

10 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

When Lager is ever read I can't help but think of how cold can I get it.

Since were talking Ale's I think I found a sweet spot for fermenting.

The spot I use high peaks @ 68-69 for the first few days, then 64-66 for reminder of 3 weeks.

Have bewitched fermenting now. A couple of days it had tons of activity of foam and bubbles.

More activity than previous brews (Long Play, Diablo), but did notice expiration of 2020 on bottom of Bewitched can.

Long play had late 2018, Diablo had early 2019.

Closely monitored stick on thermometer and it seems it peaked @ 68-69 and only several hours.

We keep our house 62 at night so morning wort is around 64 rises to 68-69 first few days, then never goes above 66.

I think you have this backwards. During high krausen / peak fermentation is when i would be fighting to keep the temps around 64ish to avoid unwanted esters. Then once it calms down let it get up to 68 to kind of kick the yeast in their pants and let them know their jobs not done yet. Honestly, personally, i never want anything even near 70 unless im chasing esters. All my pales and ambers would be kept at 64 for the entire fermentation in my house. But i have a temp controller. 

Shrike likes this

Creeps Mclane:

64-65 for fermenting keeps coming up.

Oktoberfest deluxe kit is on its way.  Big cooler in the basement

with the ink-bird & seedling pad is keeping temp @71-72 for conditioning.

Once all conditioning is done it will be set at 64-65 for fermenting.

There will be a six week wait period since Long-Play, Diablo &

Bewitched are all in the pipeline for conditioning.  Bewitched currently

has 2 more weeks fermenting, then 4 weeks conditioning.