Mr.Beer Community
Jdub

1st taste American Lager

52 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

Jdub,

I wouldn't worry too much about not quite getting to 60.  Fermentation has probably started.  I start my fermentation chamber at an ambient of 58 to 60 and that allows a wort temperature of 62 to 64 in most cases, 66 with a very vigorous fermentation. 

You should be fine.

Dawg

Dawg,

thanks for for the tip. Having basically blown my 1st three batches I’m a little paranoid but glad to be on the cool side now. 

Jdub

46 minutes ago, Jdub said:

Dawg,

thanks for for the tip. Having basically blown my 1st three batches I’m a little paranoid but glad to be on the cool side now. 

Jdub

Don't worry about it too much yet.  About the only thing I DIDN'T get wrong with my first two batches was sanitation.  I fermented way too warm, didn't ferment long enough, didn't condition long enough, over-carbonated, etc., etc.  I still had drinkable beer.  It wasn't great, far from it, but it was drinkable.  It was only after finding this forum that I learned everything I'd done wrong.  Now I'm making beers that I share with family and friends with pride.

8 hours ago, Jdub said:

Dawg,

Jdub

I put my LBK in a cubbyhole that happens to maintain 62 ambient.  I was really worried I didn't have it warm enough until I got through my first batch.  Little did I know I was doing exactly the right thing.  Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart.

I just turned on my digital thermometer and the cooler is holding a steady 60-61. Have the probe sitting on top of the LBK. Nothing very complicated, just one frozen water bottle in the cooler. I’m gonna leave it alone and not open it. Right now is 72 hrs fermenting. Think I’ll just let it warm up a little on its own.

Take a folded piece of cloth or a sponge and put it over the tip of the probe, taping it so the tip of the probe is below the fluid level.  Measuring the air temp isn't what you want to do (but it's better than nothing), you want to measure the wort temp.  However, at 72 hours you're headed toward the end of peak fermentation anyway.

2 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Take a folded piece of cloth or a sponge and put it over the tip of the probe, taping it so the tip of the probe is below the fluid level.  Measuring the air temp isn't what you want to do (but it's better than nothing), you want to measure the wort temp.  However, at 72 hours you're headed toward the end of peak fermentation anyway.

Ok I will do that. So are you saying that I may have had it too cold during the 1st 72? I see foam on top of the wort. I was just trying to see what kind of environment my cooler was creating. 

1 hour ago, Jdub said:

Ok I will do that. So are you saying that I may have had it too cold during the 1st 72? I see foam on top of the wort. I was just trying to see what kind of environment my cooler was creating. 

No, you probably had it just right.  If you have Krausen on top of the wort then you have fermentation.  If you have an active fermentation then you can not possibly have it too cold.  Yeast won't ferment your wort if they are too cold.  @RickBeer is saying you are probably getting near the end of when you need to worry so much about temperature.  He is suggesting that you need to worry about the temperature of the wort and not the ambient.  I actually measure both, it is how my chamber is set up (see https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pimp-my-system/son-of-a-fermentation-chiller/).   I give my beers 96 hours of fermentation and then I start to gradually raise the temperature in my chamber by a degree or 2 per day until I get to 68.  In my case in the winter, I need to use seed mat heating pads to accomplish this feat.  This raise in temperature lets the yeast finish their cleanup before they fall out of suspension.

On 2/21/2018 at 7:29 AM, RickBeer said:

Came home today and checked the temp.....bam! 😢

88E85D1D-07DC-4FCC-8979-A7741A8EF895.jpeg

i have found that 1 frozen water bottle in the cooler keeps it in that low to mid 60’s range for a couple of days if I just leave it alone. Can’t believe that I had 4 bottles in there to start with. Learning curve. 

24 minutes ago, Jdub said:

i have found that 1 frozen water bottle in the cooler keeps it in that low to mid 60’s range for a couple of days if I just leave it alone. Can’t believe that I had 4 bottles in there to start with. Learning curve. 

I'd recommend you do some more reading.  The number of bottle is dependent on:

1- the size of the bottle

2- the point in the fermentation cycle

At peak fermentation (roughly 24 - 72 hours), it generates the most heat, and you'll need more frozen bottles or changing them more often.  At 10 days in, you may need none if the cooler is open and the room is in the 60s.  

You have to experiment and watch if using frozen water bottles.  

24 minutes ago, Jdub said:

Nice to know as I have  nearly the same cooler ready for my next batch, so thanks for sharing.

@RickBeer thanks for the info. I’ve actually been reading a ton.  I understand what you’re saying. I didn’t mean to imply that 1 will be good under all conditions. Just talking about normal water bottles. Rick you should do a mr beer podcast. I listen to some of the home brew ones and they are waaaaay over my head. Would be nice if there was one out there just talking mr beer. I’d listen. 

1 hour ago, Jdub said:

Rick you should do a mr beer podcast. I listen to some of the home brew ones and they are waaaaay over my head. Would be nice if there was one out there just talking mr beer. I’d listen. 

@Jdub,

Please do not stroke the ego of @RickBeer.  Everytime that a new forum member does this, it takes at least a month to get his head back down to normal size.  You should have seen when he won brewer of the month.  That took forever to get him back to normal.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dawg

15 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

@Jdub,

Please do not stroke the ego of @RickBeer.  Everytime that a new forum member does this, it takes at least a month to get his head back down to normal size.  You should have seen when he won brewer of the month.  That took forever to get him back to normal.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dawg

Stop spreading lies.  27 days is not a month.  Head looks normal sized.

post-57583-0-22155900-1424464746.jpg

4 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Can't do it.  RickBeer's identity has to remain anonymous, otherwise the press will surround my house and not give me a moment's peace.   

It'd be like Beatlemania, except you'd have a bunch of beer-swiggin' dudes throwing their underwear and hotel keys at your front door.  :)

On 2/23/2018 at 8:17 AM, Cato said:

Nice to know as I have  nearly the same cooler ready for my next batch, so thanks for sharing.

@Cato how’s the cooler working out? What temp are you shooting for? 

6 hours ago, Jdub said:

@Cato how’s the cooler working out? What temp are you shooting for? 

Jdub, so far cooler seems to be working great. I brewed yesterday and it held 62F from yesterday afternoon to this morning with just one frozen water bottle it. I have my digital probe taped to the back below the wort line. I pitched with US-05 for this recipe and I like the fact that it has a much wider temp spread than the MB yeast packet.

Shooting to stay in that 62-64 range this week during high krausen.

Nice......I don’t think the cooler method requires much maintenance. One or two normal size water bottles last quite a long time. I went away for the weekend and came home to a 68 degree cooler. 

Update.....bottled my Black Beer’d Porter tonight. The sample I tasted actually tasted good 😂. Coffee and chocolate hints.  I was impressed. It had fermented 3 weeks in my 70-ish degree closet upstairs. Last closet batch. Also my 1st partial mash. Cold crashed for 3 days.  Domino dots to carb. See you in May. 

Turned right around and cleaned the lbk with the BW and brewed up the Munich Malt Monster! In the cooler now with a temp probe taped to the lbk and just 2 frozen water bottles (normal size). Had an oh 🤬 moment when I slipped a little while taking out the hop sack to gently place the hop sack into the lbk instead of plopping it in there like I had before. Almost spilled my wort kettle. Dang. Almost....that would have been ugly. 

J-Dub

On 12/02/2018 at 9:15 PM, Jdub said:

Finally.....tried my American Lager tonight after 3 weeks fermenting, 3 weeks bottling, and 3 days in the fridge. 1st batch ever.  Daughter and wife both said tasted like apples. Was fairly flat. Was disappointed that there wasn’t more of a sound opening bottle (750 ml mr beer bottles, brand new). Taste was good. Didn’t taste very high abv. Low carbonation. Used 2 coopers carb tabs in each bottle. Everything I’ve read says that the beer will get better with age. Waiting a week to put another in the fridge and test that theory. Overall not gonna lie was a little disappointed about the low carbonation and apple taste. 

I have 2 other batches different flavors in bottles now which are aging and 2 more fermenting (I have 2 LBK’s). 

Any suggestions other than than give it more time?

Ferment at around 62-65F. The apples are prb from fermenting too high. Or it may just be a issue with the American Lager, not unlike the Mexican cerveza...