Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Richard A

Kegging

I want to start kegging my beer. My question is after I carbonate the beer does this have to stay chilled while it ages? Can it sit on a shelf in a basement that may reach 75 deg. Until I get ready to use it

Yes, and no.

It will carbonate just fine warm, and 75 is fine.

HOWEVER, beer degrades unchilled.  So it comes down to how long it's going to be sitting.  Ideally, all beer gets chilled for long term storage, but ideal isn't possible for most of us.  

Thanks RickBeer it would probably sit for 1-2 months would this be an issue and should I carbonate it chilled then take it out or would it be better to carb without chilling it? I’m new to this so these questions probably seem pretty basic to some but don’t want to ruin a good batch of beer but hate to tie up the mini fridge if I don’t have to.

I don't keg, I bottle, so I'm no expert in kegging.

Many people have a keezer, i.e. a chest freezer with all their kegs of beer in it, and a temp controller to keep it at the temp they want.  They put in both the kegs on tap and the not-yet-tapped kegs.  

Some people are more sensitive to different tastes than others.  I am currently drinking 1-2 year old beer I made.  I gave 3 of them to a friend with the labels removed so they would not know the age of the beer.  They knew I was an extract brewer.  They said "your beer was made with old extract".  They could taste the age.  I don't notice it as much, but again I'm not comparing them to fresh batches side by side.

I would say 1 - 2 months should be ok.

On 2/14/2018 at 7:40 AM, Richard A said:

I want to start kegging my beer. My question is after I carbonate the beer does this have to stay chilled while it ages? Can it sit on a shelf in a basement that may reach 75 deg. Until I get ready to use it

Think of a keg as a very large bottle of beer. If it is a style of beer that ages well then, yes, you can leave it at room temps, but cellar temps are always preferred (55-65). But as Rick said, a couple of months at 75 should be fine. Just be sure you are purging the headspace with Co2 just before carbonation (while pulling on the pressure relief valve, add some Co2 for a few seconds to allow it to push oxygen out of the tank, then release the valve and let it carbonate at your desired pressure).

Always store your IPAs and lagers cold.