Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Timelordjason

Excess yeast

17 minutes ago, Timelordjason said:

Just wondering you guys that use the advanced recipes what are some creative ideas you do with the yeast you have left over from under the lid that you didn't use in the recipe? 

Put it in a yogurt cup, eat the yogurt, go on a bender. Supposedly it keeps you sober. Science says thats bull. I tried it, i think i agree with science

But more practical, people kill it and use it for food... for other yeast. Yeast nutrient. Most dry yeasts have nutrients in them already though so if youre using dry yeast id maybe skip that all together and just chuck them in the garbage.

oh oh. Pregnant ladies seek out yeast for its nutrients. My wife used to dump some US-05 in a smoothie when she was with child. I was at the LHBS one time and a lady came in and bought some for the same reason

yep.. i put it in about a quart of water and boil it on a low boil for about 10 minutes. when doing mead...   i will flame out and add a handful  of raisins and a couple table spoons of grape nuts* cereal if i have it. cover... let it cool completely.

i sometimes also add a tiny quarter piece of a centrum vitamin before covering.  by the time the temperature of the water has gone from 200 to room temp, nothing is left alive in it.

if i am making hobo wine which is just welches juice and sugar, there isnt a lot of nutrient in that so i will add frozen fruit to the must ,and the above. when i dont, the yeast complain by making horrible sulfur smells.

* dont boil grape nuts cereal. it produces clove like flavors when boiled in my experience that have no place in many beers or wines.

the grape nuts cereal goes in a hop sack btw...  

grape nuts is essentially malt and vitamins. dead yeast provide an assortment of vitamin b and other nutrients.  i dont know what it is about raisins but yeast imo love them.  when i go to bottle my hobo wine, the raisins are fat and full of gas from the yeast. i rinse these and then boil the raisins with some other fruit to make preserves. no waste. the spent grape nuts is about the only thing that gets tossed.  when i do all grain, my spent grains get dried in the oven and turned into coarse flour. i use it to supplement white flour for breads. again.. no waste.

i pamper my yeasts. they make booze for me so it's the least i can do for them.

18 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

the grape nuts cereal goes in a hop sack btw...  

grape nuts is essentially malt and vitamins. dead yeast provide an assortment of vitamin b and other nutrients.  i dont know what it is about raisins but yeast imo love them.  when i go to bottle my hobo wine, the raisins are fat and full of gas from the yeast. i rinse these and then boil the raisins with some other fruit to make preserves. no waste. the spent grape nuts is about the only thing that gets tossed.  when i do all grain, my spent grains get dried in the oven and turned into coarse flour. i use it to supplement white flour for breads. again.. no waste.

i pamper my yeasts. they make booze for me so it's the least i can do for them.

I dried the spent grains from brewing American Resolution Hazy IPA this morning.  Some will go into the bird feeder, some into dog treats, and some are sitting on the counter in and on a loaf of beer bread my wife made, waiting to be sliced up and eaten with dinner.

39409496755_7c686f6208_z.jpg