Mr.Beer Community
MOODY

New Brewer

4 hours ago, Shrike said:

I have two LBKs.  I stagger them so I'm bottling/brewing a batch midway through the next batch's fermentation , meaning I brew every 10-11 days.  I almost always bottle a batch, clean the LBK, then brew my next batch right away.  I alternate brews between ones with short conditioning times and ones with long.

That too is my aim in getting the second LBK, plus I'd like to be able to use one for batch priming.

I am just getting towards-the midpoint my first full year. I have 2 LBK in use.  For now, I have done a staggering of  brews every 10 day, but I have also brewed two different types at the same time.  For the start the big frustration was having enough bottles available for use and filling.  Depending on the type of brew, I bottle in the 750 PET, regular 12 oz bottles and  1/2 lliter flip top bottles.  (Be sure to know how much priming sugar each size uses)  Avoid screw top bottles at all costs.  Because I like to mix what types I am consuming, it is nice to have variety.  Now that I have a good mix of bottles, I have made more that one beer requiring  6 months  minimum conditioning (my office in the house is now referred by my wife as the brewery.  Next up, two partial mashes.  Will be getting a 7gal conical so I am able to make a double batch or two.  Yes, more costly than a 36 pack of major national rands, but more fun and a more enjoyable beer.  Cost does drop a bit when you have a good bottle supply!

show_me_brewing_beer_results_low.png

#showmeyourstash

The man cave stash:  left to right are the fermentation fridge, bottled beers, empties on the floor, the "to brew queue" in the closet with more bottled beer, the beer fridge itself where I put beers for three days before drinking (whose top shelf is where hops, grains, and yeast are stored), and wine fridge where two batches of lagers are conditioning at 54*.

25614662807_4be7a68f20_z.jpg

We have a third bathroom that I use for recently bottled beers just in case of bottle bombs.  I've got about seven batches conditioning in it.

40442810542_31ce10ca45_z.jpg

15 hours ago, Shrike said:

#showmeyourstash

The man cave stash:  left to right are the fermentation fridge, bottled beers, empties on the floor, the "to brew queue" in the closet with more bottled beer, the beer fridge itself where I put beers for three days before drinking (whose top shelf is where hops, grains, and yeast are stored), and wine fridge where two batches of lagers are conditioning at 54*.

25614662807_4be7a68f20_z.jpg

We have a third bathroom that I use for recently bottled beers just in case of bottle bombs.  I've got about seven batches conditioning in it.

40442810542_31ce10ca45_z.jpg

Lol, looks like your amp felt uncomfortable around so much CO2 and beat feet to another room!

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Lol, looks like your amp felt uncomfortable around so much CO2 and beat feet to another room!

Lol!  It's in the opposite corner of the room, but there's no room there for the guitars.  I really need to re-organize.

Yesterday was my first bottling day.

Everything went smoothly I believe. Looking at at small sample before I started bottling, it seemed to have the color and smell of a Blue Moon. It had a flat beer/cider smell to it, and the taste at first reminded me of a Blue Moon, but it wasn't until I opened a Budweiser later that night that I changed my mind about what I thought it reminded me of.  Looks like the 27th I will start putting them in the fridge. I plan to start my 2nd Batch (Octoberfest)probably next week. Too much going on yesterday so I will wait until my next day off to start my 2nd brew.

1) Please refrain from using obscenities on the forum, it's a violation of the Terms of Service and could get you banned.  Words like "Budweiser" are offensive to many.

2) If you bottled on 3/6, then you shouldn't put any into the fridge until 4/3, 28 days from then.  And only put in 1, let it sit for 3 days, then try it.  

On 3/7/2018 at 1:17 PM, Shrike said:

There's nothing wrong with the occasional Budweiser.  Coors Light or Michelob Ultra, on the other hand...  :) 

My late father-in-law used to call Coors light "redundancy beer"

Had my first taste of my first homebrew last night. (Classic American Light)

It's like everyone is saying, it was drinkable, but nothing wow. I didn't gag which is all i was shooting for. It had no head at all, but was well carbonated. I could tell it was suppose to taste like a bud or miller, but it did have a slight cider smell and taste to it which I'm guessing is due to letting it get a little to warm during fermentation. 

My 2nd batch (Octoberfest-Apple Brown Beery) was fermented the same way so I'm sure I'll have similar results. I'm hoping because I did use apple cider in that batch, that it will turn out a little better.

Also wanted to add that I now have a fermenting fridge (4.4 cu ft)

Started my 3rd batch (first with proper temp control) on April 3rd (Aztec Mexican Cerveza-Boysenberry Tart)

and WOW!! the difference fermenting at a lower temperature. I had overflow several times during the first 2 days of fermentation. It has finally settled down and the fridge says 61 degrees, but I'm guessing the LBK is about 66 degrees.

Thanks everyone again for their help and support!

IMG_0513.JPG

You shouldn't be guessing at the temp of the LBK, since with a temp controller you know exactly what it is.  My guess is that you haven't properly setup the probe against the LBK, below the liquid line, and insulated by a folded rag or paper towel, then taped in place.

No, I haven't gotten a temp controller yet. the digital display on the fridge says 61....but the stick on thermometers  i have on the LBK and inside the fridge are reading about 66.