Mr.Beer Community

Here's your mission for the weekend, should you choose to accept it.

I'm getting ready to bottle my first lager since I borrowed the second fridge from my landlord.  Got me to thinking, I could do a lot of lagers this summer when it's too hot in my apartment to do ales at room temp.  There are some great ale recipes at Mr. Beer, and I'm wondering:

1)  In addition to changing the yeast and brewing temps, what else would I have to change to convert an ale recipe to a lager?

2)  Most recipes use Safbrew T-58, S-33, US-05 and S-04 ale yeast, and W-34/70 and S-23 Lager yeast.  Is there a rule to use when switching from one ale yeast to a lager yeast?  In order words, if the recipe calls for ale yeast X, should I always/only/never select lager yeast Y?

3)  Are there recipes (high hop?  wheat?) that should not be switched from ale to lager?  I know that I would lose the ability to call a porter a true porter if I brew it as a lager.  I would just have to call it a Porter-style Lager

Thoughts?

Crazy Yoda

4 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

Here's your mission for the weekend, should you choose to accept it.

I'm getting ready to bottle my first lager since I borrowed the second fridge from my landlord.  Got me to thinking, I could do a lot of lagers this summer when it's too hot in my apartment to do ales at room temp.  There are some great ale recipes at Mr. Beer, and I'm wondering:

1)  In addition to changing the yeast and brewing temps, what else would I have to change to convert an ale recipe to a lager?

2)  Most recipes use Safbrew T-58, S-33, US-05 and S-04 ale yeast, and W-34/70 and S-23 Lager yeast.  Is there a rule to use when switching from one ale yeast to a lager yeast?  In order words, if the recipe calls for ale yeast X, should I always/only/never select lager yeast Y?

3)  Are there recipes (high hop?  wheat?) that should not be switched from ale to lager?  I know that I would lose the ability to call a porter a true porter if I brew it as a lager.  I would just have to call it a Porter-style Lager

Thoughts?

Crazy Yoda

1- nothing at all

2- depends on what you want. Some yeasts like 34-70 i find it gives a slightly floral / fruity taste. I think S-33 has a little more of these esters. Try different ones, see which you like best

3- ive seen stout lagers. I dont think is a style except maybe a saison or any belgian beer. They make bavarian lager yeast right? Thats what id use on my wheats. Certain styles change... loosely. A blonde would now be more like a pilsner or a kolsch or maybe even a helles depending on ingredients.  A dark wheat ale is now a dunkel. Im no expert on styles by any means. But I’d say brew your favorite MRB recipe and chuck some 34/70 in it. Itll just be a smoother, easier to drink beer. Anything you add will shine through more.