Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Timelordjason

Storage

I searched the forum and didn't see this asked so if it has and i didn't find it i apologize.
I know the cans of refill can be stored at room temp and i know the yeast can be stored at room temp or in fridge to make it last longer and i know grains and fresh ingredients require the fridge but what about lme? What is the proper way to store lme? I just ordered some and i have had them sitting in my art room for 3 days, it made me question if i am not doing something important.

In short, EVERYTHING lasts longer in the fridge.  However, the reality is that most of us can't fit everything in the fridge.  If you buy sealed products - cans of Mr. Beer HME, pouches of Mr. Beer LME, you can store them at room temp.  If you have OPEN containers, they should be stored in the frig with an airtight seal (plastic wrap, layer of vodka).

Hops should be stored in the frig, or the freezer, especially if they are purchased repackaged (some hops come sealed in vacuum bags).  Ideally, all hops are refrigerated at least.

Yeast should always be stored in the frig, then taken out the night before brewing to warm up.

If you buy milled grains, they should be stored in an airtight container.  They do not need to be refrigerated.

And, in summary, if you're brewing in week or so, all can be left out.

Timelordjason, I know this is not the thread, but you had previously made a comment about your Heavy McWee carbonating slowly. How did that work out? I am having the same experience. The bottles of Voodoo I made a week later are much harder than the Heavy. Just curious.