SuperBoyd

No Foam?

18 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

So first let me say I am new to brewing so bare with me.  I did a search for foam and couldn't find any results.  My wife got me a Mr Beer 2g kit with the Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner Recipe.  So, I followed the instructions to a T.  I was worried about the spigot at first because I thought it was leaking but it ended up working fine.  Then comes my worry part of the brewing process.  I started this on Wed the 21 of Feb and I never saw any foam.  Should I be worried?  My temperature is 72 degrees.  It did have the milky look to it and so from what I gathered that is good.  Sunday the milky look was done and was sorta clear.  So I removed the Collar and quickly put the lid on it.  What I want to know is if you guys think I'm ok?  Thanks in advance for the advice.

Your beer is fine.  However, in the future you want to get that temp down somewhat.

The "foam" you refer to is called krausen.  It may last a long time, or not a long time.  It could have been at high krausen while you slept.  

If there is a layer of trub on the bottom, you're fine. 

Go 21 days, then bottle and let it sit for 28 days.

And do some reading between now and then.  

Not sure really how I can get the temp down.  I'm keeping it in a pantry and my house is usually between 70-72 degrees.  However, I did notice on Sunday the temperature was 70 degrees.  I hope you're right about me missing it foaming over night :)  I do have another question if you're reading this.  What are these booster packets I notice the site sales along with their refills?

11 minutes ago, SuperBoyd said:

Not sure really how I can get the temp down.  I'm keeping it in a pantry and my house is usually between 70-72 degrees.  However, I did notice on Sunday the temperature was 70 degrees.  I hope you're right about me missing it foaming over night :)  I do have another question if you're reading this.  What are these booster packets I notice the site sales along with their refills?

They boost alcohol without affecting taste or color.  It's basically a form of corn sugar.

Read about temperature control during fermentation. There are some low cost and pretty easy ways to get the temp down. I use an Igloo ice chest and place a frozen bottle or two of water. That is super important. If your beer comes out tasting like apples, you will know it was too warm. But if you like hard cider, you may not even mind. 

image.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Marius said:

Read about temperature control during fermentation. There are some low cost and pretty easy ways to get the temp down. I use an Igloo ice chest and place a frozen bottle or two of water. That is super important. If your beer comes out tasting like apples, you will know it was too warm. But if you like hard cider, you may not even mind. 

image.jpeg

Great Idea however, I dont have this kind.  I have the High Capacity Fermenter.  Coolers like for mine are a little harder to come by.

Screen Shot 43.png

Yet, that's like a 5 gallon bucket size, and would take a big cooler on end to fit it.  That's why I didn't suggest ice bottles.

I saw a video of people who place the fermenter in a base that can hold some water. Place a wet towel or some kind of fabric over the fermenter and touching the water. Then have a fan blowing on it. The fabric will wick the water through the fabric and cool as it evaporates. I have not tried it, but some people have used that method. I know sounds like a mess and a lot of work. If all else fails, stronger beers might cover off flavors, and some specialty yeasts work better with warmer temps. Do some more research. I'm sure there are other more experienced guys on here who are going to help you out. Good Luck.

Welcome to home brewing SuperBoyd. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm getting ready to brew the Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner again. First batch I made was good. Room for improvement but good.

2 minutes ago, KCullison86 said:

Welcome to home brewing SuperBoyd. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm getting ready to brew the Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner again. First batch I made was good. Room for improvement but good.

I made the Grand Bohemian Czech Pils too. My first sample had a little apple taste despite controlling the temperature. Do you think that is part of the flavor profile? Not a bad taste but a little fruity. I plan to condition that one for 6 weeks before I sample again. 

7 hours ago, SuperBoyd said:

I do have another question if you're reading this.  What are these booster packets I notice the site sales along with their refills?

6 hours ago, Shrike said:

They boost alcohol without affecting taste or color.  It's basically a form of corn sugar.

What Shrike said.....however (there is always a however).....as you read you will see there are better ways to accomplish what the boosters do....just read, read, read

KCullison86 likes this

15 hours ago, Marius said:

I made the Grand Bohemian Czech Pils too. My first sample had a little apple taste despite controlling the temperature. Do you think that is part of the flavor profile? Not a bad taste but a little fruity. I plan to condition that one for 6 weeks before I sample again. 

When I removed the Collar I sure did smell apples LOL :)

On 2/26/2018 at 1:06 PM, SuperBoyd said:

Great Idea however, I dont have this kind.  I have the High Capacity Fermenter.  Coolers like for mine are a little harder to come by.

Screen Shot 43.png

if you are handy with tools and have some bucks to blow...  go to hardware store. get some wood and some styrofoam sheets.. make a box lined with styrofaom to accomodate the fermenter.   you can put the lid on the top like a lift off lid.  add a cheap thermometer with a probe to put inside.  add a bottle of ice..tada.

it would be easy enough to make unless you have no coordination, are almost blind and have the shakes like me.  :)

or

get a cheap mini fridge tall enough to fit the fermenter.  remove shelves. insert fermenter. add thermometer probe.   find the setting that keeps it around 60-64f for ale.

SuperBoyd likes this

another relatively easy solution for tall fermenter temp control..  

get one of these

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-30-Gal-114-L-EZ-Carry-Flat-Gray-Spicy-Lime/111488611

one that is tall enough to accomodate the fermenter and airlock if any.

line it with reflectix insulation inside and out...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reflectix-Insulation/38752784

you will have room enough for probably 2 buckets and ice bottles.

then add one of these...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HDE-LCD-Digital-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Thermometer-Terrarium-Marine-Temperature-Black/178909155

probe in the box,  display outside the box. you can shut the lid on the wire with no problems.

that's how i do mine.  it isnt air tight but i can keep a ferment at 58f easily by swapping out bottles of ice on a schedule.

Unless you are in the market for a dedicated fermentation refrigerator, I'm still thinking the cheapest and easiest solution is to get a brown keg for $10 on Mr. Beer and cool it in an ice chest you probably already have in your garage. Just saying.