Mr.Beer Community

Hey folks,

I'm sure this has been asked before but is it wise to add Booster and LME? What would be the advantages/disadvantages? Will this affect flavor?

Cheers!

10 minutes ago, Jmix324 said:

Hey folks,

I'm sure this has been asked before but is it wise to add Booster and LME? What would be the advantages/disadvantages? Will this affect flavor?

Cheers!

First off, Welcome to the Forum, and if you are new to brewing, welcome to the hobby!

Depending on what you are looking for in your finished product will depend on what you do.... Booster only ups the ABV% and adds just a tiny bit to head retention. LME (depending on which you are using) will add color, flavor, and up the ABV% some. You can use both in a batch no issues. Some folks do not use booster and use only LME. Some use just the Booster, and some use both. It is completely up to you in what you do.

As for me, my opinion, I would skip the booster and use a LME or two to match what you are brewing, if a light beer, go for golden and/or pale, if a darker beer, go for robust and/or smooth. 

Thank you bud. I actually ordered a recipe kit (Sunday Morning Coming Down) and had a booster left over from my first batch. I was always told to chase flavor not abv. However was wondering if the recipe would be affected, as far as flavor, if I did add the booster.

2 hours ago, Jmix324 said:

Thank you bud. I actually ordered a recipe kit (Sunday Morning Coming Down) and had a booster left over from my first batch. I was always told to chase flavor not abv. However was wondering if the recipe would be affected, as far as flavor, if I did add the booster.

No, flavor wise, it will not be affected, just abv%. I agree with chasing flavor not abv.

On 3/1/2018 at 3:25 PM, Jmix324 said:

Hey folks,

Cheers!

It depends on what I am chasing.  I have a number of recipes I add both in differing amounts.  Some need to add a lot more malt flavor to reach my desired tastes and ABV.  The most important things is to keep a record of everything you do.  You may find the additions that make a flavor you love and the next time you may readily have forgotten what you did to make it so great. Again Booster adds to ABV, LME and other malt grains also add flavor!