Mr.Beer Community

I have a leftover yeast packet from a mr beer recipe where I didn't need it, am a so interested  in cleaning used yeast just afraid it is above my head right now. 

I want to take my extra yeast packet and make a very very basic meade recipe 

Problem is all the recipes I find are for 1 gallon or 6 gallon and none use the lbk.

Does anyone have a mead recipe that has few ingredients,  be ready quickly ie not 9 months from now and I can use my 2 gallon lbk???

google:  Joe's ancient orange mead recipe.

it is a simple show mead or quick mead.  just substitute the bread yeast with the beer yeast.  wine yeast works better / cleaner but you can try it with beer yeast.

JOAM mead is ready in about 2-3 months. my first one came out a little bready but not bad. the oranges floating in the mead before racking looked disgusting , covered with a grey slime film... but it's fine. just yeast colonies and such.  

this recipe is a down and dirty quick mead. it violates tons of rules used by professional mead makers. it isnt meant to make perfect ooooo gonna win a medal for this mead. it makes a drinkable, fast one.  . . that tastes good.  my second one i used a cuvee yeast and it came out incredibly complex in flavor. 

suggestion:   if the instructions dont say so do this -  take the orange(s) and wash them with an unscented dish soap. use a clean scrubby and very lightly buff the outside peel while washing it. you want to get any insecticide, bacteria, yeast etc off.     rinse very well.

note - the bread yeast has a low alcohol tolerance and typically dies off leaving a little residual sweetness. . . and a slight bready twang. 

note 2 - if using beer yeast and the recipe doesnt mention it, ( i think it does ) add a generous handful of raisins to provide some more  nutrient.  what i did was heat some water on a stove to about 160f. flame out and remove from heat.  add your raisins. cover. let it come to room temp. this will kill any stray yeast that might be in the raisins.. or dont bother and just toss them in.  it isnt meant to be a perfect mead.

there are tons of forums out there with threads on this mead. it is super easy.

45 minutes ago, Timelordjason said:

Wow you are amazing thank you so much gonna do this.

Newby question what does flame out mean?

"Flame out" is the point in the recipe when you kill the heat under your pot of wort.

You'll see it most often used like "I tossed in some hops at flame out".  This means the heat gets turned off and the hop sack is put in the wort.  Then for MRB recipes this is when the HME gets stirred in.

1 hour ago, Shrike said:

"Flame out" is the point in the recipe when you kill the heat under your pot of wort.

You'll see it most often used like "I tossed in some hops at flame out".  This means the heat gets turned off and the hop sack is put in the wort.  Then for MRB recipes this is when the HME gets stirred in.

Since this is a 1 gallon recipe would I double every thing and would this effect time to make 2 gallons in the lbk?

2 minutes ago, Timelordjason said:

Since this is a 1 gallon recipe would I double every thing and would this effect time to make 2 gallons in the lbk?

You can do a one gallon batch in the LBK.  Or double it.  The time should remain the same either way.

4 hours ago, Shrike said:

You can do a one gallon batch in the LBK.  Or double it.  The time should remain the same either way.

Do you keep the fermentation in the lbk the entire 2 plus months as he says or do you do the 3 week fermentation then to bottles for the rest of the fermentation  time?

I am not going to carb btw 

if you are talking about JAOM recipe... read it carefully. he says leave it alone for the whole 2 months. dont jiggle it. dont rack it. dont feed it nutrients. just follow the instructions to the letter.  if you mess this one up then you might need to reconsider brewing as a hobby.  he wrote it to be virtually foolproof. that is why he says the recipe will violate all manner of standards and best practices of mead or wine making but dont worry. it is to get you a quick result that is drinkable.

if he gives you a 1 gallon recipe and you want to double it? go ahead.

the oranges will float on top almost the whole time it is fermenting. it will  look like everything stopped but it hasnt. the oranges will start to look really gross but that is ok.

since you wont be removing the pith of the peel if you follow it to the letter, you can expect some bitter notes in your mead too.  i did my first exactly to the recipe. my second i peeled the orage, sectioned it. i removed using a sanitized spoon, as much pith as i could and added the peel to the mix. do not use more than a single clove for flavor unless you really like the astringency of cloves. i think he adds a clove to his but cant recall atm.

do not bottle it until the full couple months time is up.

you can use really cheap Sue Bee honey.  i have had good results using walmart's 5# bottle of honey...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pure-N-Simple-Honey-80-oz/19857743

it's cheap. it's real honey. 

some ppl suggest lightly boiling the honey and water to purify it. i never have. boiling drives off the stuff that makes honey taste naturally good.  the only thing i did when concerned about rogue yeasts in honey was to bring water to about 145f-160f, turn off the heat... add the honey , cover and let it cool naturally to room temp. this will kill off yeasts or any bacteria... but again. with JOAM follow it to the letter. if he says just dump honey into water? do it. i havent looked at the recipe in awhile.

excuse any repeated info here... im tired. been getting little sleep so i tend to talk in circles.

11 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

if you are talking about JAOM recipe... read it carefully. he says leave it alone for the whole 2 months. dont jiggle it. dont rack it. dont feed it nutrients. just follow the instructions to the letter.  if you mess this one up then you might need to reconsider brewing as a hobby.  he wrote it to be virtually foolproof. that is why he says the recipe will violate all manner of standards and best practices of mead or wine making but dont worry. it is to get you a quick result that is drinkable.

if he gives you a 1 gallon recipe and you want to double it? go ahead.

the oranges will float on top almost the whole time it is fermenting. it will  look like everything stopped but it hasnt. the oranges will start to look really gross but that is ok.

since you wont be removing the pith of the peel if you follow it to the letter, you can expect some bitter notes in your mead too.  i did my first exactly to the recipe. my second i peeled the orage, sectioned it. i removed using a sanitized spoon, as much pith as i could and added the peel to the mix. do not use more than a single clove for flavor unless you really like the astringency of cloves. i think he adds a clove to his but cant recall atm.

do not bottle it until the full couple months time is up.

you can use really cheap Sue Bee honey.  i have had good results using walmart's 5# bottle of honey...

some ppl suggest lightly boiling the honey and water to purify it. i never have. boiling drives off the stuff that makes honey taste naturally good.  the only thing i did when concerned about rogue yeasts in honey was to bring water to about 145f-160f, turn off the heat... add the honey , cover and let it cool naturally to room temp. this will kill off yeasts or any bacteria... but again. with JOAM follow it to the letter. if he says just dump honey into water? do it. i havent looked at the recipe in awhile.

excuse any repeated info here... im tired. been getting little sleep so i tend to talk in circles.

All this info is great thank you guys so much I have a couple batches of mr beer I already bought then I'll do this since one of my lbk will be tied up for 2 months I'll post when I start 

14 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

This is super good to know. So cheap versus the expensive raw stuff ...using the cheap doesn't affect the taste ? As long as it's pure honey I know some honew claims to be pure but isn't so if you say Sur bee is pure I'll trust that

there are manufacturers of 'honey' in america of 'fake honey'. it is basically honey flavoring added to corn syrup or other crap.  cheap ingredients make cheap / meh product. if you can afford spending a ridiculous amount on grade a tupelo unfiltered etc or organic single pollen yadayada honey, go for it.  my taste buds arent that sophisticated. 

the JOAM is not meant to win awards. it is to show you mead making in its most primitive and simple form. it will make a good approximation of mead in a short time.  ive made both joam and real quality mead. both came out good.  the joam is surprisingly  good for how you make it.

you can make mead as complicated as you want.. just like beer.  i made a blueberry mead (melomel) with quality honey and a quality wine yeast. i racked it about 4 times over a handful of months before bottling.  i ended up making an 18% abv mead that actually tasted good , because the yeast were very very healthy and went beyond the expected attenuation.  

the walmart honey has a good flavor for cheap. it is a mix of many nation's honey so each bottle will be slightly different depending on sourcing. 

I am thinking of going with some local honey from my local fruit stand it wont be as cheap as the walmart but it isnt that expensive but i am wondering if i got the jars with the comb should  put the comb in too or is that a bad idea?

10 minutes ago, Timelordjason said:

I am thinking of going with some local honey from my local fruit stand it wont be as cheap as the walmart but it isnt that expensive but i am wondering if i got the jars with the comb should  put the comb in too or is that a bad idea?

VERY bad idea. Honey needs to be pasteurized before use. You cannot pasteurize a honeycomb because it is wax and will melt into your mead. If you don't buy already pasteurized honey, you will need to pasteurize it yourself.

13 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

VERY bad idea. Honey needs to be pasteurized before use. You cannot pasteurize a honeycomb because it is wax and will melt into your mead. If you don't buy already pasteurized honey, you will need to pasteurize it yourself.

Josh,

Sorry to question you but the Mead world has a very different opinion of pasteurizing honey.  In the Mead world it is a sin to heat honey because it drives off the aromatic compounds that create a great mead.  It wasn't always this way but has become the new standard for Mead.  Everything that I have read and heard (listened to hours of mead podcast) say if you have raw honey you can do the following.  Either just mix it up in your must and pitch plenty of yeast and nutrients and don't worry about it because the yeast that you pitch will outcompete any undesireable wild yeast and bacteria both through fermentation and the drop in PH.  The other option is to mix your must and then add Potassium Metabisulfate to kill the undesirables and then pitch your yeast 24 hours later (this method is commonly used when fruit is involved).

I personally have not heated any honey that I have used and have had no problems.

Dawg

3 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

Josh,

Sorry to question you but the Mead world has a very different opinion of pasteurizing honey.  In the Mead world it is a sin to heat honey because it drives off the aromatic compounds that create a great mead.  It wasn't always this way but has become the new standard for Mead.  Everything that I have read and heard (listened to hours of mead podcast) say if you have raw honey you can do the following.  Either just mix it up in your must and pitch plenty of yeast and nutrients and don't worry about it because the yeast that you pitch will outcompete any undesireable wild yeast and bacteria both through fermentation and the drop in PH.  The other option is to mix your must and then add Potassium Metabisulfate to kill the undesirables and then pitch your yeast 24 hours later (this method is commonly used when fruit is involved).

I personally have not heated any honey that I have used and have had no problems.

Dawg

This is only true if heated past a certain temperature (typically 170 F - never boil). I have been making mead for longer than I have been making beer and have had some award-winning meads that were pasteurized. And I have had infected mead before. Mead-making is no different than any other wine or beer. It needs the same amount of sanitation and care.

Man,

Thank you gus for all yo ur advice. I have a lot to learn about all this stuff.

I will keep it simple and easy and I will try to tell my brain to stop trying to make things better before o even do the simple way first. 

I will be using the cheap walmart stuff and just get some experience in 

I plan on starting this mead at the end of the month I'll keep you updated

4 hours ago, MRB Tim said:

He was earlier this week, and now he's catching up on the work that accrued while he was on his couch in a fever haze, but rest assured, he has plenty of peeps on the subject when he has a free moment. 

Glad you are feeling better!