Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Creeps McLane

Grain Mill Problems 😞

I have a cereal killer mill. I’ve been having some serious problems with it. So I decided to spend some time tonight and adjusting it, testing it, adjusting it, and finally being happy with my efforts. So I decided I would post a little anatomy of a grain mill to prevent people from having my problems. First of all, http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/CrushEval that should help.

Lets look here first cuz I think this was the root of my problem. The eye bolts are what lock the rollers to the set gap. The nuts are what lock the eye bolts in place thus reinforcing the roller setting. The process to set the gap is as follows: loosen eye bolts and the nuts should loosen with it. I then loosen the nuts a little further to ensure the eye bolt tighten up first. Next, I adjust the rollers. I have wooden shims that I kinda eye up and just make sure both sides are even. If both sides are not adjusted evenly then you’ll get grains that are more chopped than crushed. Find your setting, tighten eye bolts, tighten nuts. Go ahead and test. 

894C95C4-70A6-4039-AE01-9AA2770C9275.thumb.jpeg.6829544ead7e819550f55ce40e2654b3.jpeg

these are the roller gap setting knobs.  The numbers are there more as guides. Mine don’t match up but the rollers do. However if you don’t monkey with it as much as I do then these should align correctly. 05C43BB4-5135-4611-A239-573C0D4921CE.thumb.jpeg.4844afcb33c626fa19136845da733392.jpeg

when you’re done, both rollers should be perfectly symmetrical. I set mine pretty tight cuz I am a big fan of wheat and rye in my beers and the grain is a little smaller than normal 2 row. Plus I mash in a sack.  When I test mine, I make sure I have grain on both ends on the mill and then I look and make sure both ends are crushing the same. 

ADE24989-B470-4C0E-AC68-9D52F94D0E0E.thumb.jpeg.f8dc69522569dd99916f537460876d48.jpeg

like me I said. I was having problems. I did a little research and saved myself from buying another set of rollers. After every brew day I just spray mine out with some condensed air. Boom, done. I hope this helps some one at some point. 

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Will try my barley crusher this week. I'll have to check a little wheat in there to see if I need to tighten it up for the smaller grains.

Had some issues at my buddies house yesterday too. He has a three rolled miller and we had to take out the third one just to start brewing 

LOL, I had issues of my own today. Learning curve that its better to have the roller spinning prior to pouring grain in. Drill just torqued the HD bucket and the mill onto the table and about 8 oz of dark wheat grain on the garage floor. Of course it went everywhere so it was time to reboot and clean up.

Ground down the flat spot on the shaft as it had some rough edges to it that made the drill wobble a bit.

The factory setting seemed to be fine for the wheat kernels which were smaller and harder than the pilsener that I tried after that. It definitely crushed the grain finer than my suppliers crush.

I didn't run but about half a pound of each through it but it works and it was smoother for me to put a couple large clamps on to stabilize against torque, and I kept a steady feed of grain but not too much at once for now.

I'll check to see how fine it comes out running those grains back through again.

On 11/5/2018 at 2:54 PM, Cato said:

LOL, I had issues of my own today. Learning curve that its better to have the roller spinning prior to pouring grain in. Drill just torqued the HD bucket and the mill onto the table and about 8 oz of dark wheat grain on the garage floor. Of course it went everywhere so it was time to reboot and clean up.

Ground down the flat spot on the shaft as it had some rough edges to it that made the drill wobble a bit.

The factory setting seemed to be fine for the wheat kernels which were smaller and harder than the pilsener that I tried after that. It definitely crushed the grain finer than my suppliers crush.

I didn't run but about half a pound of each through it but it works and it was smoother for me to put a couple large clamps on to stabilize against torque, and I kept a steady feed of grain but not too much at once for now.

I'll check to see how fine it comes out running those grains back through again.

@Creeps McLane, zipped thru 9.5 lbs. of grain in just a couple of minutes today. Much better crush for my BIAB!

13 hours ago, Cato said:

Dawg, I sure hope so! Crush I was getting from suppliers was leaving a lot of grains uncrushed. 

When I was buying grain crushed my recipe efficiency was all over the place.  It was unusual to hit my numbers.  Most grain suppliers and homebrew stores crush with a larger gap which equals a lower efficiency.  They do this because you need more grain to achieve the same OG at 65% than at 75%.  That allows them to sell more grain and thus make more money.

After I got my own mill began doing my own crush, my general recipe efficiency is now set at 75% and I always come within a percent or two of that number.  Most recipes in books or magazines are usually set at 70% so I have to adjust them to my percentage.  Water to grist ratio, grain makeup, mash temperature and overall OG make a difference in your efficiency.  I used to really freak out if I was off but now I just go with my numbers and adjust if I do the recipe again.  I have noticed that in general, the higher my percentage of base malt the higher my efficiency.  That makes sense since base malt is where the enzymes come from.  I also adjust recipes for big beers (over 1.080) down to 70% efficiency and that helps me get closer to my numbers on those beers.

Everybody's system is different and you just need time to figure out your efficiency on your system. 

This ^^^.

Keep in mind that for BIAB, "pulverize" is fine.  If you're not doing BIAB, then you don't want a bunch of flour.  You want the inner meal of the kernel separated out, and the husk left mostly intact.    Too much flour can result in a stuck sparge (for non-BIAB), and and intact husks reduce astringency and provide a good filter bed.  

Info provided for the benefit of those that don't know yet.

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

This ^^^.

Keep in mind that for BIAB, "pulverize" is fine.  If you're not doing BIAB, then you don't want a bunch of flour.  You want the inner meal of the kernel separated out, and the husk left mostly intact.    Too much flour can result in a stuck sparge (for non-BIAB), and and intact husks reduce astringency and provide a good filter bed.  

Info provided for the benefit of those that don't know yet.

Going with a double crush today! BIAB