Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fire Rooster

What Now ?

Started Oktoberfest 2 days ago in basement, thought it was low 60's, but it was mid 50's.

No fermentation activity, just moved back to spot mid 60's.

Is that all that I should do ? Shake LBK ?

Raising the temperature should work, no need to shake your LBK.  Was the mid 50's ambient temp or wort temp?

You say no fermentation activity, do you have a layer of trub on the bottom of your LBK?  If you do, then there is fermentation.  All fermentations look different.  I have had them without any visible krausen on top of the wort one day but yet I can see bubbling from below and then have 4 inches of krausen the next day.  Yeast are living creatures that have their own agenda.

BDawg62:

Ambient temp, guessing wort temp, stick on temp gauge had no color.

I'm baffled, there is trub, is this possible all within 48 hours ?

I used the Oktoberfest deluxe kit with LME.

23 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

BDawg62:

Ambient temp, guessing wort temp, stick on temp gauge had no color.

I'm baffled, there is trub, is this possible all within 48 hours ?

I used the Oktoberfest deluxe kit with LME.

If you have trub then you have fermentation.  Yeast will ferment above and below their recommended temperature range.  Recommended ranges for yeast are their optimal range, above this range will result in off flavors and below may result in a sluggish fermentation. 

RDWHAHB

Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew

Checked LBK this morning.

It has light foam on surface that wasn't there last night.

I think it likes its new location

Did test with Long Play IPA.

It is much better stored @ 55 and poured into a frozen mug.

The bitterness was much mellower and the hoppy taste was caramel like.

When Long Play was in fridge for days and poured into room temperature

mug it had a lingering harsh bitter bite to it with no enjoyable hoppy aftertaste.

1 hour ago, Fire Rooster said:

Did test with Long Play IPA.

It is much better stored @ 55 and poured into a frozen mug.

The bitterness was much mellower and the hoppy taste was caramel like.

When Long Play was in fridge for days and poured into room temperature

mug it had a lingering harsh bitter bite to it with no enjoyable hoppy aftertaste.

That's because the frozen mug is numbing your taste buds.  Hops don't taste "caramel-like".  Using a frozen mug also introduces the possibility of off-flavors from being in the freezer that are stored in the ice crystals.  A CHILLED mug is fine.  

Storing at 55 also lowers the carbonation, because the gas escapes from the liquid at warmer temps.  A less-carbonated brew means less hop aroma is released, so you don't notice it as much.  

Clearly an IPA is not on your list of preferred brews.

RickBeer:

Caramel was possibly a poorly chosen word to describe it.  Molasses, honey, hoppy, not sure on

proper word to use, but I do know its good.   The 3 day fridge thing doesn't work for me, put them

back in basement.  Is that pic of yours Niagra Falls from the Canadian side ?

Yes, that is Niagara Falls from the Canadian side.  Took the pics to show that Mr. Beer is "everywhere".  

Just be aware that by not refrigerating your brew you're lowering the carbonation level, and you're also running the risk of it foaming out when you open it warm.  

As I stated, I think that the IPA is simply not your style.  When you do other refills, try refrigerating as well as not using a frozen mug, you'll get much more accurate flavors.  Also, pour down the side of the glass for the first 1/2, then down the middle for the second half, being careful NOT to disturb the layer of trub at the bottom of the bottle.  And NEVER drink bottle carbonated homebrew from the bottle.

Because you don't want to stir up the trub at the bottom of the bottle.  And secondly, beer of any type should always be put into a glass, because you then get the full aroma of the beer and hops, which you can't get from a bottle.  That's why there are now cans that open the entire top of the can, not just a pouring opening.  

7 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Because you don't want to stir up the trub at the bottom of the bottle.  And secondly, beer of any type should always be put into a glass, because you then get the full aroma of the beer and hops, which you can't get from a bottle.  That's why there are now cans that open the entire top of the can, not just a pouring opening.  

There is also the benefit of seeing your beer.......we eat (or drink) with our eyes first and actually seeing the beer in the glass can change your perception of the flavors.

When I go out and I order a beer I always ask for a glass. Most places give you one no matter what. Not a single homebrew goes in my belly without first going in a glass. I bottle from a keg so i have no sediment and i still pour that baby out. I really like the english style pub glasses but i most frequently use a snifter. I like tulips also. God i just love beer. So much 😭 im getting emotional...