Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billp

Back after a couple of years away

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was a member here years ago and got lots of good advice and made some decent beer. For various reasons involving a year and a half looking for a new house and an inability to control temperatures, I fell out of home brewing. But I always missed it and wanted to get back to it. Well now, I've got a new house, and a dedicated beer fridge with one of those  InkBird digital temp controllers and this past weekend I brewed a couple batches of lager; a 1776 recipe and a Uncle Monkey's Dunkel. They're quietly bubbling away in the fridge at a cool 55F.

For my next adventure, I'm thinking of finding an extract recipe with steeping grains and adjusting it to 2.25 gallons to fit in the LBK and doing my first hop boil.

Any thoughts from the beer collective?

I'm glad to be back

Cato, MichaelL, John K. and 6 others like this

Welcome back!  I'm sure others will chime in later, but first I'd ask what kind of beers do you like to drink? Stouts, porters, IPA's, wheat beers? Maybe putting ina little more info out here will help those making recommendations.

Thanks for the welcome!

I like lagers, generally stuff on the lighter (color and texture) side. Not a big fan of IPAs (too bitter).

The advice I was looking for was on the efficacy of cutting a 5 gallon partial boil extract recipe in half. Will that work? Or is there some factor in the chemistry of the hop boil that is affected by halving the recipe?

Cutting an extract batch in half will work very well.  Just take the 5 gallon recipe and half everything.

2 hours ago, billp said:

Thanks for the welcome!

I like lagers, generally stuff on the lighter (color and texture) side. Not a big fan of IPAs (too bitter).

The advice I was looking for was on the efficacy of cutting a 5 gallon partial boil extract recipe in half. Will that work? Or is there some factor in the chemistry of the hop boil that is affected by halving the recipe?

I don't know if you've looked at MRB's website lately but they now have quite a few partial mash recipes that also use hop additions.
Here's a list of all the PM recipes. 
Here's one that narrows it down to just the lagers.  I've only brewed two of the lagers, the Austin Pils and Chromosbeer.  Both are still conditioning and won't be ready to drink for another week or so, so I can't give a review as yet.

billp, Bonsai & Brew and Jdub like this

Shrike,

I had not looked at any of those. They certainly seem to be what I'm looking for, something in the 2.5 gallon range that is a step up process wise from the "heat, mix, pour, and pitch" that I've been doing with Mr Beer.

I'll check one of those out when I get a free LBK.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, billp said:

Shrike,

I had not looked at any of those. They certainly seem to be what I'm looking for, something in the 2.5 gallon range that is a step up process wise from the "heat, mix, pour, and pitch" that I've been doing with Mr Beer.

I'll check one of those out when I get a free LBK.

Thanks!

MRB's upped their game.  :)  Like you, I took a hiatus from brewing for a while, starting up again in the summer of 2016.  When I went to the MRB website back then I was pretty impressed with all the new recipes.  I definitely enjoy doing the partial mashes.  I'll be bottling a batch of American Resolution Hazy IPA Friday.  It had a 45-minute grain steep and three separate hop additions while in the fermenter.  I definitely feel like I'm more "involved" with my brews with recipes like that.

Welcome back! You will be happy to see that we now have a lot of recipes that use steeping grains and we also sell the grains separately so you can build your own recipes. Happy brewing!

youdontknowme311 and Shrike like this

Welcome back......I didn't start back then, so I only know the good Mr. Beer, but this place is still an excellent source of info

Shrike likes this