Mr.Beer Community
youdontknowme311

Sticky Wicket S-04 Question

I recently purchased the Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout recipe and I wanted to use Safale S-04 instead of the included yeast. It says that this yeast can be split into 2 batches. Would I be over pitching if I used the the whole packet or should I split it in half? 

you can over pitch.  11g in 2.25 gallons just means  shorter lag time before it takes off.  dont even bother to rehydrate. sprinkle on. dont even have to stir. just make sure you have already agitated the wort to aerate. you will have some cell die off due to osmotic shock but you are still overpitching and will be fine.

note:  us 04 is a monster. put a cake pan or something under the lbk in your cooler.  KEEP YOUR TEMPS AROUND 58-62f ambient.  this yeast produces apple like fruity esters when it gets hot. when you start hitting 68f ambient it will start throwing off fruitiness that you might not like in your ale.

if at high krausen you see foam shooting out the vent in the lbk leave it be.  when things start to subside you can take a spray bottle full of sanitizer or star san water, spray the outside of the lid, the underside, the lbk... take a sanitizer soaked power towel to clean up the mess in the cooler and on the outside of the lbk.  either swap the lid for a clean and sanitized one or rinse and sanitize.  make sure your vent holes arent clogged... then screw it all back together again, lid on..

i have seen us04 literally act like a volcano, nearly blowing the lid off my fermentation buckets.   even expired or past the best by date uso4 has done this for me.

side note- you can get a gram scale and a coffee filter and split it into two batches but why? too much effort. too much risk of picking up something on your yeast.  yeast is cheapish. 

Overpitching will not affect the flavor of the beer. 

In addition to keeping it on the cool side during high krausen you want to make sure that as fermentation starts to die you let the temperature increase.  English yeast are notorious for dropping out early if the beer begins to cool as fermentation starts to wind down.  By letting go of some of your temperature control, not needed by then, you can prevent this from happening and the beer will get to its proper FG.

yep.. ester production typically happens during the most vigorous part of fermentation and during the reproduction / budding phase. only ie the first 3-4 days.  now and then i'll have a yeast go nuts for over a week before settling down.

oh and with us04... at bottling time if you see little floaty flecks on top this is common. it's just yeast that have linked together on the surface to form 'rafts'. us04 has always made rafts for me for the last 3 plus years.