Jim Doherty

3g FastFerment warning when dry hopping

12 posts in this topic

Not sure where to post this, but wanted to warn about not using muslin sac for dry hopping in the 3g FastFerment, which is in the revised instructions. I brewed the American Resolution Hazy IPA, which uses 3 dry hop additions. I emptied the 4 oz jar twice because it filled up fast. After the second time I emptied it, I decided to use an 8 oz jar, because I could see there was still quite a bit of trub/hops caught above the valve at the bottom of the conical tank and I figured the 4 oz wouldn't hold it all. Had to tap on the fermenter to get it to unclog the valve aIso. I did this a week prior to bottling. See the picture below for how much was in the 8 oz jar after the week. I thought I would be good to go and wasted beer by using a larger jar, but was wrong . The glass next to jar in the picture was what I was finally able to get out after filling the glass 3 times and unclogging the bottling wand 2x. Pics of the wand and the glass show how much hops were still in the fermenter. In the pic of the fermenter, you can sort of make out what was still stuck to the inside surface (pic doesn't show it too well, sorry). The other pictures of the glass show just how much crap was still left at the bottom of the fermenter. That glass is 12 oz btw, so you can imagine how much wasted potential beer there was. Needless to say, by the time I got a clear flow, I wound up with only 15 twelve ounce bottles. Not a great yield for the price in my opinion. I didn't take any samples to check gravity, and even slightly overfilled the fermenter. I recommend going back to using the muslin sacs and remove them on bottling day with sanitized tongs or something, which is what I did with the Horse's Ass Ale, and it came out great. Anyway, rant over, just thought I would share. Other wise, I really like the 3g FastFerment..........

20180309_090843.jpg

20180309_090847.jpg

20180309_091024.jpg

20180309_091107.jpg

20180309_092330.jpg

MRB Tim and youdontknowme311 like this

Thanks for the feedback, we're always looking for ways to improve. It looks like we may have to revise those instructions for beers with inordinate amounts of sediment. 

I think the main trouble is that the opening is too small to let all the hops go thru. It was clogged each time I put a new jar on. I had to tap on the valve to get everything to flow again. 

I used to drop about a half of a tablet of Whirlfloc in a 2.5gal batch, and in my second batch in my FF3G, I scaled that back to maybe a third or less of a tablet.  Even so, it drops a lot of gunk.  So much so that after emptying the jar after about a day, the neck (or is it the colon) of the fermenter is clogged to the point where not even tapping the sides will get the clog to clear.   I had to crack open the top of the fermenter and use a sterilized bottling wand to break the clog. In my next batch, I probably won't use any Whirlfloc and see if that helps.  Just being vigilant about emptying the jar for the first few days may be enough.

I am trying the American Resolution Hazy IPA again, just brewed it this morning. This time I will put the hops in the Muslin sacs and remove at bottling time like I did with the Horse Ass Ale. Will update this post in three weeks to let everyone know if it helps. 

I started to brew the American Resolution Hazy IPA this morning and discovered that I was NOT supplied with the Imperial Barbarian Yeast with my order.  I received this order right before I left to travel overseas a month ago.  I placed everything in the box from Mr. Beer in the refrigerator with the plan to brew when I got back.  Now I'm out of luck.

I checked my order form and the yeast isn't even listed on it.  But, it's on the recipe instructions.  Now, Mr. Beer shows that this recipe is "Out of Stock".

My local Home-brew Supply store doesn't carry this yeast.  So, I guess I'm really out of luck.

I guess the White Labs 095 Burlington yeast is equivalent to the Barbarian yeast but I hate to change the recipe and my local store doesn't carry that either.

Suggestions?

Contact Mr. Beer on Monday, get the yeast by next weekend.  It's a liquid yeast, so it would have been in your frig if you got it. 

I've sent an email to Mr. Beer.  However, since it's now shown as "out of stock", I'm not expecting them to have the Imperial Barbarian yeast on-hand to send to me.  

I found the yeast at a shop 22 miles from me for $10.  The weather is nice today in Austin, Texas.  I could put the top down and drive there and get the yeast but fighting the SXSW music festival traffic this weekend makes it a "no"....  And I had Virginia on my bracket going to the Elite 8....and the Longhorns are out of the tourney....so, I might as well work on my taxes this weekend.....!

D Kristof and Creeps McLane like this

3 hours ago, K5WX said:

I've sent an email to Mr. Beer.  However, since it's now shown as "out of stock", I'm not expecting them to have the Imperial Barbarian yeast on-hand to send to me.  

I found the yeast at a shop 22 miles from me for $10.  The weather is nice today in Austin, Texas.  I could put the top down and drive there and get the yeast but fighting the SXSW music festival traffic this weekend makes it a "no"....  And I had Virginia on my bracket going to the Elite 8....and the Longhorns are out of the tourney....so, I might as well work on my taxes this weekend.....!

Dam. I thought I was having a bad day until I read this.

4 hours ago, K5WX said:

I started to brew the American Resolution Hazy IPA this morning and discovered that I was NOT supplied with the Imperial Barbarian Yeast with my order.  I received this order right before I left to travel overseas a month ago.  I placed everything in the box from Mr. Beer in the refrigerator with the plan to brew when I got back.  Now I'm out of luck.

I checked my order form and the yeast isn't even listed on it.  But, it's on the recipe instructions.  Now, Mr. Beer shows that this recipe is "Out of Stock".

My local Home-brew Supply store doesn't carry this yeast.  So, I guess I'm really out of luck.

I guess the White Labs 095 Burlington yeast is equivalent to the Barbarian yeast but I hate to change the recipe and my local store doesn't carry that either.

Suggestions?

Does your LHBS have any suggested substitutions for the yeast which they do carry? 

Just wanted to give an update. I brewed the American Resolution Hazy IPA again in the fastferment, only this time, I used the muslin bags for the hops. I only emptied the small jar twice before bottling day, no issues or clogs. Got a 21 twelve oz bottle yield. Still waiting on carbonation to see if the hop flavor is any different. Tasted a little while bottling, seemed to be good. Seemed a little less hoppiness than the other batch, but it may be too early to tell. Bottom line, I guess, is use the muslin sacs to prevent clogs. Just remove with sanitized tongs when ready to bottle. Got a Velvet Velociraptor in there now, Brewed it before in the fast fermenter, and everyone that tried that one has said it is the best beer I have brewed so far.