Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jrhopkins

Wort Watered Down?

Hi all.  Quick question...While pouring my wort into my carboy, I ended up spilling about 1/2 of it.  It’s only a gallon batch.  In order to get to the gallon marker, I added about 1/2 gallon of distilled water to the wort and then pitched the yeast.  How will this affect the beer?  How will it affect fermentation?  Should I be concerned?  It the batch ruined?

Thanks for the help!!

Think about adding water to your morning coffee, diluting it to 50% of its original strength. Sorry - but this one may be beyond repair. If anything it will be a VERY lite beer. 

Question: What process are you using for the 1 gallon batch? Transfer to a carboy has me confused.

Thanks.  Transfer is From the chilled wort in the kettle to the glass fermenter, which is a 1 gallon carboy jug.  OG was 1.065 before spillage so I am expecting FG to be ~1.03 or so.  Primary Fermentation is going well this morning so I am expecting a very light beer in the end.

watering down your wort wont do squat to your fg. the impact is to your starting gravity. it makes it lower. water is 1.00.   your typical ale starts around 1.04. your typical mr beer without booster is lower. 

dumping half the wort out reduces the sugars available when you add back the water without adding back the sugars.

FG is based on expected yeast attenuation.. . ie how hungry they are.  you will likely have the same fg (ie around 1.01). (unless you added lactose..then it will be a point or so higher). you just made 'near beer'.

next transfer sanitize a ladle and funnel. put funnel in carboy mouth. ladle the wort into the carboy like this until you have a manageable volume to dump without spillage. . . then do a slow pour using the funnel.   a wide mouth funnel that sits a good way into the neck of the carboy helps.

An advantage of the MB LBK and  process is that if you're into smaller batches of beer - it is very easy (just as advertised).  

Questions - Did you use a can of hopped extract to make the wort?  If so, what size can? You said you measured the O.G. at 1.065, which is a healthy number, lots of malt. As I'm thinking about it, what was the temperature of the wort when you measured O.G.? The reason I'm asking is that your beer may have more malt/ fermentable sugars than you think.