Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fire Rooster

Conditioning

I have a location where its a steady 72 degrees.

Would it be ok to leave all beer there until ready to be consumed ? (possibly many months)

Or move beer to basement (55 deg) after a certain amount of time ?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Fire Rooster said:

I have a location where its a steady 72 degrees.

Would it be ok to leave all beer there until ready to be consumed ? (possibly many months)

Or move beer to basement (55 deg) after a certain amount of time ?

Thanks

If they're ales, leave them at 72; it's just about perfect.

If they're lagers, leave them there for three weeks to carbonate, then move them to the basement.

3 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

I would say after 4 weeks move them to the 55 degree area.  Heat is one of the biggest enemies to beer.  55 is much better to store than 72 IMHO.

From everything I've read on here, 70 is optimum for conditioning ales.  They can be stored below that but it will slow the conditioning quite a bit.  If I remember correctly, @RickBeer once mentioned that ales stored at 65 could take twice as long to condition as those stored at 70.

As far as heat is concerned, the room in which I store my ales stays at 75 from May-November and the beers are just fine.

1 hour ago, Fire Rooster said:

BDawg62:

Please explain "Heat is one of the biggest enemies to beer"

Thanks

A beer stored at 75 degrees will degrade quicker than one stored at 55 and a beer stored under refrigeration will last even longer.  That is the reason Coors used to (may still) ship their beer only in refrigerated trucks.

10 minutes ago, Shrike said:

From everything I've read on here, 70 is optimum for conditioning ales.  They can be stored below that but it will slow the conditioning quite a bit.  If I remember correctly, @RickBeer once mentioned that ales stored at 65 could take twice as long to condition as those stored at 70.

As far as heat is concerned, the room in which I store my ales stays at 75 from May-November and the beers are just fine.

Yes, you should carbonate your beers at 70 or above (I carbonate mine at 75), but then I store them in my basement where it is right around 60 in winter and 65 during the summer.  I haven't gone the extra step but a dedicated refrigerator for storage has been recommended to me by several judges of my beers as they have tasted them immediately after conditioning and then 6 months later.  While the beers have not gone bad they have degraded enough to be noticed.

9 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

Yes, you should carbonate your beers at 70 or above (I carbonate mine at 75), but then I store them in my basement where it is right around 60 in winter and 65 during the summer.  I haven't gone the extra step but a dedicated refrigerator for storage has been recommended to me by several judges of my beers as they have tasted them immediately after conditioning and then 6 months later.  While the beers have not gone bad they have degraded enough to be noticed.

Interesting.  All of the beers that I've had sitting long term (9 months+) - Lock/Stock, Burleywine, BBP, Bovine, Calavera, Heavy McWee, and Nilla Porter - have all gotten better with age.  And that's in a 75 degree room.  I have noticed, however, that my hoppier beers do degrade after about three months, but that's normal...and why I make sure my hoppy beers don't stay around too long.  :)