Mr.Beer Community
Timelordjason

cold yeast need advice

I forgot to take my yeast out of the fridge yesterday to start brewing churchill today. I am ready to brew this and everyone says to take it out 24 hours before you brew. Can I just let it warm up to room tem a couple of hours or is there a a special way to get it ready to brew in a few hours?

Don't know who says 24 hours.  It needs to be room temp.  Otherwise, you're shocking the yeast when you put them in 70 degree wort.  Sitting out a few hours is fine.  I take mine out the night before, along with a cans of anything, to allow them to come to room temp.

yeast are living things. imagine if you just spent a week locked in a freezer and then jumped into a tub of hot water.  thermal shock is a real thing.  you want the yeast to gradually acclimate to both gravity and temp of the wort.  ideally your pitching temp and your yeast temp should be not more than 15 f different i think i read somewhere.

an example of a less than optimal pitch:  you rehydrate the yeast in water of 98f. by the time you go to pitch it has cooled to say 85f. your wort temp might be for example 65f. 85-65 = 20f difference.  not exactly optimal. dry yeast has come a long way though in improvements. you might get a little thermal shock die off if there is such a thing, but surely it will be insignificant.

i put my dry yeast on the counter when i start brewing. if i'm just tossing it in, by the time i'm ready for it the yeast is at room temp which is just fine.

yeast are incredibly hard to kill accidentally. the more common homebrewer 'mistakes' merely slow it down because it has to reproduce to a level sufficient to do the job. you get more lag time. or you piss them off and they pee out goofy esters.

27 minutes ago, Timelordjason said:
wow I am inpressed how asking for simple advice about beer yeast can open such dark and ugly doors. There for a minute i thought this was Reddit.

We already have one buzzkill, right @RickBeer? 😀

Don't try to be a second.

My yeast infection was in my hair on my head u know the head that sits on my shoulders....... a bad case of dandruff and the scalp flakes would fall on my body and cause irritation and swelling. The skin doc told me it was a yeast infection.... so there’s no dark and ugly door here unless I’m staring in a mirror drunk and naked lol