Mr.Beer Community
JoshR

The Real Mr. Beer - Live Stream Thread

3 hours ago, pocketjr said:

Learned lots from yesterday (Surly Dog), thanks guys.

What's the brew for today?

Today will be an intro to all-grain. I will be explaining the 1st step in all-grain brewing: the mash. The beer I will be brewing will be one of my competition beers, Cryonic Suspension IPA. It is a hazy New England style IPA that uses local Sonoran unmalted wheat, a lot of flaked oats, and all late-addition Cryohops.

6 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Today will be an intro to all-grain. I will be explaining the 1st step in all-grain brewing: the mash. The beer I will be brewing will be one of my competition beers, Cryonic Suspension IPA. It is a hazy New England style IPA that uses local Sonoran unmalted wheat, a lot of flaked oats, and all late-addition Cryohops.

Hopefully you explained how to make it using Mr. B components or gear?

I hope I didn't create something that has made @MRB Renae uncomfortable.  What I was hoping is to have the folks at Mr. Beer appear on camera so we can meet them.  So far we've had @MRB Josh R and @MRB Rick.  If she, or @MRB Tim want to make a guest appearance, that would be cool

Regardless, hopefully I can meet everyone in person if I can pull off my planned trip to Tucson in late September.

yoda

2 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

I hope I didn't create something that has made @MRB Renae uncomfortable.  What I was hoping is to have the folks at Mr. Beer appear on camera so we can meet them.  So far we've had @MRB Josh R and @MRB Rick.  If she, or @MRB Tim want to make a guest appearance, that would be cool

Regardless, hopefully I can meet everyone in person if I can pull off my planned trip to Tucson in late September.

yoda

No worries. Everyone had a laugh about it...lol.

3 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Hopefully you explained how to make it using Mr. B components or gear?

The only gear you can use for AG would be the fermenter, but I did mention that it is great for all-grain test batches or small batches. I also stressed how much easier it is to use MRB products than all-grain. Not trying to deter people from MRB because it's our "bread and butter", just simply showing them the processes involved in all-grain.

Is there a way to do an all grain recipe for just the 2 gallon LBK? Any recipes out there? Or should I just stick with partial mash extract recipes? Thanks

2 minutes ago, Jdub said:

Is there a way to do an all grain recipe for just the 2 gallon LBK? Any recipes out there? Or should I just stick with partial mash extract recipes? Thanks

You could probably do BIAB with Mr. Beer for not much investment in extra equipment, if you already have a large enough pot to fit it in.

BIAB = Brew in a bag.

6 minutes ago, Jdub said:

Just scale the recipe to the LBK.  For example, many AG recipes are for 5 gallons of beer.  If you want two gallons, scale it back by 40%.

Also, there were rumors floating around here about a year ago that MRB might be putting out some AG recipes made for the LBK.  Any word on that, @MRB Josh R?

8 minutes ago, Jdub said:

I've been doing 2-gal. mash-in-sack batches in a 10 qt. T-Fal stock pot.  If there is a particular style that you're interested in, let me know and I'll check the archive. :)

25 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I've been doing 2-gal. mash-in-sack batches in a 10 qt. T-Fal stock pot.  If there is a particular style that you're interested in, let me know and I'll check the archive. :)

Thanks! I like ipa’s and hefe’s. I really like all beer, hence the hobby. I really like the partial mash recipes but just curious about AG. Just brewed up a whispering wheat Hefe this afternoon. Can’t wait to try it. With the mash sack is that something I can buy from mrb? I have a great local HBS as well. 

1 hour ago, Jdub said:

If the recipe is for a 5 gallon batch, you would use 2/5 the grain bill, and hops(40%) to scale it for the LBK.

I use a stock pot on my electric range and sparge with a Tupperware collander. It's not as difficult as it seems.

2 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

No worries. Everyone had a laugh about it...lol.

Glad to hear. I meant for it to be a joke and playful teasing of @MiniYoda. My wings have been clipped for over 30 years while he, from what I understand, is trying to flex his. LOL.

9 hours ago, D Kristof said:

@Jdub, Photos from two of my Rauchbier brews. Actually seeing a hot break was interesting. I attempted a BIAB mash. Much easier. Quite pleased with the results sparging with a colander

That is same as I do with partial mash, bag in a colander and use hot water on it.

This is just higher % grain and maybe a bigger colander - lol.

Last one I did there was a pound of grain (mixed kinds) in it.

There are also BIAB 1 gal kits refills you can buy. You could put 1 or 2 of those in also , but likely not economically desirable.
Although these don't look bad - 3 gal kits. You can put them in My Beer's taller 3G Fast Ferment fermenter or the other 2G tall one maybe squeeze it in.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/recipe-kits/all-grain-biab-kits

They also have 1G kits

Prices are not bad.

This is a fun video

Cooling a full boil I think Is maybe one of the more difficult aspects without a cooler although he has a way..

11 hours ago, D Kristof said:

@Jdub, Photos from two of my Rauchbier brews. Actually seeing a hot break was interesting. I attempted a BIAB mash. Much easier. Quite pleased with the results sparging with a collander.

Message_1502643916236.jpg

Message_1509829658772.jpg

Message_1502582792394.jpg

Very nice! This is what I'm planning to do. BIAB looks like a really nice alternative to expensive equipment for all grain brew.

14 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Cooling a full boil I think Is maybe one of the more difficult aspects without a cooler although he has a way..

I place my pot into a sink of ice water and start a whirlpool with my sanitize plastic brewing spoon. Within 15 minutes the wort is cooled to the mid 90's.

13 hours ago, Lorenzai said:

Very nice! This is what I'm planning to do. BIAB looks like a really nice alternative to expensive equipment for all grain brew.

As with fermentation, temperature control during your mash is very important.

I'll have to catch today's and Thursday's episodes on delayed tape.  Possibly Wednesday's as well, and most of the future ones.  I'm back to helping my landlord rehab apartments, which means being busy from 4 until 6:30 every week day, unless for some reason he can't make it.