MRB Josh R

The Real Mr. Beer - Live Stream Thread

96 posts in this topic

We've got another Beginner stream today. We will be brewing a Bavarian Weissbier and I will be talking a bit about wheat beers in general. Join us at 2:30 pm PDT - 5:30 pm EDT.

Cato likes this

Hey guys, there will be a last minute schedule change today. I'm stuck at home with a bad case of bursitis in my knee so I won't be doing an intermediate stream today. Instead, Rick, Robert, and Matt will be doing a live beer tasting and discussion. It's something a little different we've been wanting to try. They will all be available to take your questions. I will also be in the chat from home to help out a bit and answer any of the more advanced questions.

We will do the unhopped malt extract batch next Wed. Hopefully, if my knee is better, I will be in tomorrow for part 2 of the all-grain intro.

Cato and youdontknowme311 like this

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

Hey guys, there will be a last minute schedule change today. I'm stuck at home with a bad case of bursitis in my knee so I won't be doing an intermediate stream today. Instead, Rick, Robert, and Matt will be doing a live beer tasting and discussion. It's something a little different we've been wanting to try. They will all be available to take your questions. I will also be in the chat from home to help out a bit and answer any of the more advanced questions.

We will do the unhopped malt extract batch next Wed. Hopefully, if my knee is better, I will be in tomorrow for part 2 of the all-grain intro.

Wow dude. That sounds painful. Rest up!

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

Hope the knee recuperates quickly. Looking forward to next Weds.

Had to watch the stream after work but enjoyed this one even if it was a last minute topic. I wish I could've tried some of those beers myself! There's a brewery 45 minutes from me in Everett Massachusetts called Nightshift that I wish I could send to Josh. lol I just love what they're doing and how they started out. 

I hope you guys keep the live streaming going. I'm still fairly new to homebrewing and I've learned a lot of new things just in the past couple weeks. Keep up the great work!

MRB Tim and MRB Josh R like this

Hey guys! Unfortunately, I'm still at home recovering from a really bad case of bursitis in my knee so I will be postponing part 2 of the all-grain intro stream for next Thursday. Instead, @MRB Tim will be brewing our Thunder bay IPA recipe. This has a grain steep and a short hop schedule, so as far as MRB recipes go, it is one of the more advanced ones. I will still be available in the chat for any advanced questions Tim might not be able to answer. See you there!

KCullison86, Shrike, Jdub and 1 other like this

Hop on the stream today guys! Tim will be going through bottling, carbonating, and conditioning! I will be in the chat to answer questions.

Wish I could figure out how to watch the archives. Are they on YouTube by chance? That twitch doesn’t seem very user friendly or maybe I’m just dumb!

@MRB Josh R, I was watching your video on sparging and there were questions about definitions. In German the verb laufen has two meanings, to step or to run. The prefix vor, means, before, prior or pre. Therefore, vorlauf literally means the step preceding lautering. 

MRB Josh R likes this

@MRB Josh R, lauter has a more obscure definition. The commonly used meaning in modern German is "loud". Not exactly meaningful to brewers. LOL. An older definition more appropriate is "pure". So lautering means purifying.

MRB Josh R likes this

12 hours ago, D Kristof said:

@MRB Josh R, I was watching your video on sparging and there were questions about definitions. In German the verb laufen has two meanings, to step or to run. The prefix vor, means, before, prior or pre. Therefore, vorlauf literally means the step preceding lautering. 

12 hours ago, D Kristof said:

@MRB Josh R, lauter has a more obscure definition. The commonly used meaning in modern German is "loud". Not exactly meaningful to brewers. LOL. An older definition more appropriate is "pure". So lautering means purifying.

Thanks! This is pretty much what @MRB Renae told me after the show. She's our resident German language expert.

MiniYoda and D Kristof like this

12 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Thanks! This is pretty much what @MRB Renae told me after the show.

Good to know after 39 years, my 4 years of high school German and two summers in Germany caused something to stick. LOL

MiniYoda and MRB Josh R like this