Mr.Beer Community
wdanny

Mix IPA and Stout?

42 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

could make for a VERY interesting flavor......a very hoppy stout.   The only thing I'd worry about is the amount of malt for an LBK. 

Nah, that's nothing to worry about. Burleywine and Lock/Stock recipes both have more malt than that.  Just keep the temp at the low end of the recommended range.

12 hours ago, wdanny said:

I have a can of Diablo IPA and a can of St. Patrick's Irish Stout and I'm thinking about mixing the two.  What do ya'll think about that combo?  Bad idea or not?

Why?  

People post things like this and never give the reason.  Why?  Do you think that the flavor and aroma of an IPA and an Irish Stout belong together?

Diablo IPA is "A fiendishly hopped American IPA. Fiery amber in color with intense mouthfeel, displaying a blend of floral spice and stonefruit aromas with a firm and lingering bitter finish. ".  Irish Stout is "a rich, dark brew exhibiting coffee and chocolate aromas, a perfectly balanced, roasted bitter character and dry finish."

There would be zero reason to combine these two.

A dark malty beer with lots of hop bitterness - why not, give it a try! But, are you going to use the gold packet of MB yeast from both? This one could be a monster with the dark malts. Not sure if I would substitute the yeast or not, or if you should pitch both packets. Requires some thought and perhaps input from others on the forum.

4 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Diablo IPA is "A fiendishly hopped American IPA. Fiery amber in color with intense mouthfeel, displaying a blend of floral spice and stonefruit aromas with a firm and lingering bitter finish. ".  Irish Stout is "a rich, dark brew exhibiting coffee and chocolate aromas, a perfectly balanced, roasted bitter character and dry finish."

So it could be a fiendishly hopped Irish American Stout IPA that is a rich, dark brew with a fiery amber color and displaying a blend of floral spice and stonefruit and chocolate aromas with intense mouthfeel and roasted bitter character and dry finish. Not even MrB has attempted this. Good luck and keep good notes for us. Brew on!

6 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Why?  

People post things like this and never give the reason.  Why?  Do you think that the flavor and aroma of an IPA and an Irish Stout belong together?

There would be zero reason to combine these two.

Wow. WOw. WOW! Eat a Snickers, Rick! You're being a real buzzkill. 😝

5 hours ago, Bassman said:

Sounds similar to this, if you add some hops:

https://www.mrbeer.com/gila-monster-black-ipa-recipe

Apparently there's a much >zero reason to combine them.  :)

(I knew MRB had a recipe along those lines but hadn't had a chance to search for it.  Thanks for sharing it...and poking the bear.)  :):)

On 2018-03-17 at 10:20 AM, DEFbrewer said:

So it could be a fiendishly hopped Irish American Stout IPA that is a rich, dark brew with a fiery amber color and displaying a blend of floral spice and stonefruit and chocolate aromas with intense mouthfeel and roasted bitter character and dry finish. Not even MrB has attempted this. Good luck and keep good notes for us. Brew on!

One thing I would bet is that it won’t be fiery amber colored. 

On 3/17/2018 at 2:31 PM, D Kristof said:

Wow. WOw. WOW! Eat a Snickers, Rick! You're being a real buzzkill. 😝

Just saw this thread guys, and I am on the side of @RickBeer.  Why on earth would someone take two styles of beer that are so far apart and mix them?  I am not opposed to experimentation (remember my Cool Ranch Doritos Cream Ale), but this is just wrong.

Put me on the buzzkill bandwagon.

PLEASE keep us updated on ALL your brewing notes on this one I am a total supporter and if this turns out for you ill try it too. If people in history would have been scared to pair things that didn't go together we would have missed out on  many wonderful things. In fact i have learned a few mixing things in my life that are so amazing such as plain fritos on ice cream and ketchup on mashed potatoes in fact i made some amazing christmas chili from experimenting once lots of nutmeg and cinnamon and cumin, fresh peppermint and ceyan... it was a hit at the pot luck  at work but i bet if i told anyone i was doing it before hand people would have naysayd me so DONT LISTEN 

20 minutes ago, Timelordjason said:

PLEASE keep us updated on ALL your brewing notes on this one I am a total supporter and if this turns out for you ill try it too. If people in history would have been scared to pair things that didn't go together we would have missed out on  many wonderful things. In fact i have learned a few mixing things in my life that are so amazing such as plain fritos on ice cream and ketchup on mashed potatoes in fact i made some amazing christmas chili from experimenting once lots of nutmeg and cinnamon and cumin, fresh peppermint and ceyan... it was a hit at the pot luck  at work but i bet if i told anyone i was doing it before hand people would have naysayd me so DONT LISTEN 

👍

image.jpeg

HEck I am doing something people on here told me not to do with a brew but I was like heck I am going to do it because no one else had so how does anyone know how itll turn out and a taste before bottling it tasted pretty good . I am too worried to say what I did to an oktoberfest because I know I am new at this and experimenting so soon in is taboo but it is in my blood i cannot help it. If it does turn out i will tell my little dark secret lol

11 hours ago, Timelordjason said:

HEck I am doing something people on here told me not to do with a brew but I was like heck I am going to do it because no one else had so how does anyone know how itll turn out and a taste before bottling it tasted pretty good . I am too worried to say what I did to an oktoberfest because I know I am new at this and experimenting so soon in is taboo but it is in my blood i cannot help it. If it does turn out i will tell my little dark secret lol

Again, to quote the awesome @Bonsai & Brew.......... if you don't brew it, who will??

On 3/23/2018 at 9:12 AM, hotrod3539 said:

Again, to quote the awesome @Bonsai & Brew.......... if you don't brew it, who will??

Well I tasted the half full trub bottle last night. It was really nice (if the trub is good the rest should be better) what I did so I will say it. I know rick beer and other will cringe but i was curious and it seems to have worked out. 

I read over and over on these forums and other forums people asking about adding brown Kayro to their beer and I read also the same about adding straight table sugar to fermentation. Everyone kept saying NO NO NO! the Kayro has sodium and preservatives but it seems no one ever said don't do it because they tried, it was all speculation. 

So since my previous brew (classic american light) did not turn out well I thought i would sacrifice my octoberfest to experimentation and then the rest of my brews i would follow instruction and advice. I mean what could it hurt? I had one can of octoberfest no booster or LME so I didn't think I wanted to do a straight can again.
So I added to the hot wert 1 full cup of brown Kayro 2 tablespoons of white table sugar and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. The yeast did not die and I had a healthy krausen during the 3 week fermentation.

*CRINGE*

Well after 3 weeks in the bottle, the trub bottle was great. It had a smooth taste with a soft caramel undertone and a very tame aftertaste. Nothing overwhelming and no off flavors to speak of, no cider taste and no sour taste. Tiny bit of bitter at end, so tiny it could easily be ignored. This was not bad at all.  No maple taste as forewarned just a soft toasted caramel flavor. The head was to be desired but it carbed perfect with drops.

SO to those who always say no to something they never tried, I say try it first then criticise. 
Experimenting is after all within the history of beer itself. 

Putting half of the bottles to chill this evening. 

In the meantime I am trying to name it but out of ideas. 

also looking forward more and more to hearing about the results of the IPA / Stout Gene Splice experiment. 

45 minutes ago, 76shovel said:

When you order a Black and Tan in my favorite pizza joint they mix a Stout and an IPA, it's good enough for the girls I date.

My apologizes to the Irish but "Black and Tan" is on the beer list.

Mississippi Mud! Used to love that stuff! Not ashamed to admit it!