Mr.Beer Community
Marius

Apricot Amber Ale

I am going to make the Apricot Amber Ale for my wife. I can only find apricots in light syrup rather than heavy. Will this make a difference? Is there a type of sugar I can add so that the beer does not lose anything such as ABV? Thanks

2 hours ago, Marius said:

I am going to make the Apricot Amber Ale for my wife. I can only find apricots in light syrup rather than heavy. Will this make a difference? Is there a type of sugar I can add so that the beer does not lose anything such as ABV? Thanks

@MiniYoda, didn't you post something last year about a fruit supplier?

I must live in a city that is into healthy canned fruit. Could not find apricots in heavy syrup in a store. I ended up draining the apricots and using the heavy syrup from a can of peaches. So, I've brewed my first fruit beer. I'm not sure about Cardamom and cinnamon in a beer but I'm going to trust the Mr. Beer creators. 

Bottled the Apricot Amber Ale today and still on the fence. I am hoping that conditioning mellows out the spiciness. A little taste at bottling worried me that the flavor is overpowered by the cardamom and cinnamon when I was hoping to get a more pronounced apricot flavor. I gather that when fruit is added in the beginning, much of the flavor gets eaten away. I will have to wait and see. I guess it's true, you brew and you learn.

One teaspoon is way too much cardamom for me. This is the first beer that I would not serve to a friend. I cannot say that it is undrinkable, but the spice is overwhelming. However, I am not going to quit trying. Next time I might use a quarter if any at all. The fruit probably needs a little help to bring out the flavor. I would like to do something with mangos. Anyone have suggestions for a mango wheat ale?

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:42 PM, D Kristof said:

@MiniYoda, didn't you post something last year about a fruit supplier?

A long time ago I posted a link to Oregon Fruit, but it looked like they only sold wholesale from the web site.

I used dried apricots, scaled in boiling water and whizzed in a blender to puree.. 1/2 lb got a good flavor in an LBK. I added after  1 week of fermentation.

You can figure the equivalent sugar by the sugar content in label so you can adjust other fermentables to suit.  I did get lots of bits in the beer though despite bagging it. But they tasted good. 

On 6/8/2018 at 6:53 AM, Nickfixit said:

I used dried apricots, scaled in boiling water and whizzed in a blender to puree.. 1/2 lb got a good flavor in an LBK. I added after  1 week of fermentation.

You can figure the equivalent sugar by the sugar content in label so you can adjust other fermentables to suit.  I did get lots of bits in the beer though despite bagging it. But they tasted good. 

Ok, I was worried about small pieces of fruit that are floating around in the bottled beer. I used canned fruit. Do you think that this fruit will cause any spoiling or flavor problems?

4 hours ago, RickBeer said:

See post above yours...

"I did get lots of bits in the beer though despite bagging it. But they tasted taste good."

I was going to make the same comment, but I figured @Nickfixit had more of a right to reply. Especially with a reassurance about spoilage.

10 hours ago, RickBeer said:

See post above yours...

"I did get lots of bits in the beer though despite bagging it. But they tasted taste good."

The bottles with bits made them taste even more apricotty. So it looked a bit strange to have fruit floating the beer, (beer cocktail?) but it tasted good.

I got no off flavors.

I got no infection ( dried apricots are usually sterilized anyway using some chemical or other.)

Or you could boil the whizzed slurry if worried.

And after fermentation before bottling, if you were concerned, you could probably filter it using a sterilized strainer and additional container.

But I figure the less vessels/tubes etc. the beer contacts the safer it is.

12 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

And after fermentation before bottling, if you were concerned, you could probably filter it using a sterilized strainer and additional container.

But I figure the less vessels/tubes etc. the beer contacts the safer it is.

Do NOT filter fermented beer.  You will aerate it.  

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:41 AM, RickBeer said:

Do NOT filter fermented beer.  You will aerate it.  

Oooh  - I forgot about that. I suppose you have to filter it inline so no oxygen gets in. Industrial process only - not for amateurs = lol.

I know this is a bit late to the original post. I'm making the same style recipe and found apricot in cans, pureed, no syrup - just water, ready to be added, at my local homebrew store.  Maybe this is still relevant? If not, apologies for the addition! This was a single 3lb can and I got it for 23$.

Apricot Front label.jpg

Apricot Nutrition.jpg