Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cato

Santa Catalina Pale Ale-hops question

Looking to make use of some ingredients I have on the shelf, and found the recipe for Santa Catalina Pale Ale.

Base HME's are CAL and American Ale, which I have, but I don't have the Cascade hops and was wondering if I could substitute Mosaic instead??

So far I have made my recipes straight up, and enjoying making them with different hops to see how they influence the flavor. I like the description of Mosaic, better than the grapefruit one of Cascade and Mosaic sounds like it is complimentary to Pale Ales, but don't want to ruin the recipe if Cascade is a must have ingredient.

Mosaic and Cascade are quite different. The best sub for Cascade would be Centennial. With that said, you can still make it with Mosaic and have a great beer. It won't be the same beer as the Santa Catalina, which is our version of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (also uses Cascade hops), but it will still be a great beer.

23 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Mosaic and Cascade are quite different. The best sub for Cascade would be Centennial. With that said, you can still make it with Mosaic and have a great beer. It won't be the same beer as the Santa Catalina, which is our version of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (also uses Cascade hops), but it will still be a great beer.

Thanks Josh, I just brewed Rockets Red Glare yesterday with Cascade hops, so without going mad scientist, wanted to get a little different flavor profile by using the Mosaic.

On 3/21/2018 at 3:41 PM, MRB Josh R said:

Brewed my, not Santa Catalina, yesterday (4-11-18) and did sub the Mosaic and pitched with US-05. My first batch using the mini fridge and inkbird. Perved on it this morning and it's just getting some krausen. Mosaic smelled great when I opened the door. Now I have 3 weeks to come up with a name!