Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community

Recommended Posts

I brewed right after I got mine. I read the instructions for temperature and brewed at room temp of 70-72. (within range but maybe not ideal.)

The instructions (2013)  gave a wide range  e.g. 59-75 def F and sometimes an ideal ambient temp. e.g. 67F.

My first attempts were varied some cidery, some meh, some quite good. I have got more consistent after learning more.

But I can certainly empathize with the urge to get going and try it.

As said above probably keeping it cool is the best advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

If only it were as simple as you state to make good beer.  You didn't mention anything about maintaining a good temperature.  Nor did you mention making sure that the wort you are pitching into is both aerated and the correct temperature for pitching yeast.  Yes, you can just follow the directions and make mediocre beer and then get discouraged and quit the hobby.  Or you can take a week to read and get as much useful information before beginning a hobby that can last a lifetime.  I think I would rather do the latter at the cost on 1 week of time.

well then,  I guess you're saying perhaps Mr Beer should make better directions, yes? not saying your opinion was wrong, or saying mine was right...its just an opinion. its not as hard as some of you make it seem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, C-Note 1959 said:

I might add to keep a log book of some kind to help you replicate your successes. Also lets you know if you changed ingredients(hops, LME, grains, booster additions) etc. 

 

Never hurts to give yourself reminders on brew day.

Lol, plus one on the log book! I keep mine in Excel and find that works great for not only the recipe but inserting my comments and notes on OG, FG, yield, temps, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cato said:

Lol, plus one on the log book! I keep mine in Excel and find that works great for not only the recipe but inserting my comments and notes on OG, FG, yield, temps, etc.

I use a 3 ring binder with work sheets from Brewers Friend that have templates for All grain, extract, BIAB, partial mash recipes. That along with a regular old spiral wound 8-1/2" X 11" notebook for extra notes. Hey what ever works. Right?

 

Happy Day for me today. I get to finally try my take on the Spiced Chili Porter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, C-Note 1959 said:

I use a 3 ring binder with work sheets from Brewers Friend that have templates for All grain, extract, BIAB, partial mash recipes. That along with a regular old spiral wound 8-1/2" X 11" notebook for extra notes. Hey what ever works. Right?

 

Happy Day for me today. I get to finally try my take on the Spiced Chili Porter. 

Nice, that one or Abbey Dubbel will come up in my queue  in a week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dunkindog said:

Question... I’m 2 days in and I was wondering.. are you supposed to be able to smell it while it’s fermenting?

Shit yeah! My wife says to me tonight “you need to clean your brewery, it smells funky down there”. I says, “shit yeah it does. That’s called mosaic hops babe”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dunkindog said:

Question... I’m 2 days in and I was wondering.. are you supposed to be able to smell it while it’s fermenting?

I ferment in coolers. When I open the lid I get a fermentation aroma blast! So absolutely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Shit yeah! My wife says to me tonight “you need to clean your brewery, it smells funky down there”. I says, “shit yeah it does. That’s called mosaic hops babe”. 

 

Thats hilarious but eases my concern. I got worried for a second the something was wrong with my lbk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jdub said:

I ferment in coolers. When I open the lid I get a fermentation aroma blast! So absolutely.

After doing some research I ordered a cooler to ferment in as well.  For a second I thought something was wrong with my lbk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dunkindog said:

What are you thoughts on a beverage cooler that gives you the ability to control the temps easier?

Not certain what you have in mind, but I'll bite. Controlling temperatures will allow you to brew better a beer and do it again. The easiest way is a cooler with ice bottles and chilled water bottles. Each cooler, your home and your beer will determine the number of bottles. That said, you need to know what the actual temperatures were. Some here will recommend taping a remote read thermometer to your LBK. Keeping the wort temperatures within the ranges for your yeast will bring the best results. 

Heading for my morning coffee. Others will no doubt expand upon this answer and suggest you read earlier posts in this forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dunkindog said:

What are you thoughts on a beverage cooler that gives you the ability to control the temps easier?

Wort temp rises above ambient during that first week of high krausen, so whether in a cooler with a 16oz frozen bottle and thermo probe taped below the wort line or in a dedicated fridge with inkbird controller, most on here will shoot to maintain wort temp of 65F.

 

My Coleman extreme camping cooler, with above setup will hold 64F for 12-15 hrs with one full frozen bottle that first week, second week after high krausen is done I drop back to 1/2 a frozen bottle and maintain same temp. 

 

My US-05 yeast works very well at those temps and doesn't get stressed. Stressed yeast can produce off flavors.

 

20180228_152551.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cato said:

Wort temp rises above ambient during that first week of high krausen, so whether in a cooler with a 16oz frozen bottle and thermo probe taped below the wort line or in a dedicated fridge with inkbird controller, most on here will shoot to maintain wort temp of 65F.

 

My Coleman extreme camping cooler, with above setup will hold 64F for 12-15 hrs with one full frozen bottle that first week, second week after high krausen is done I drop back to 1/2 a frozen bottle and maintain same temp. 

 

My US-05 yeast works very well at those temps and doesn't get stressed. Stressed yeast can produce off flavors.

 

20180228_152551.jpg

Perfect. I used US-05 yeast in Coleman Belted Stainless cooler with frozen water bottles and have been able to maintain it 64. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, D Kristof said:

Not certain what you have in mind, but I'll bite. Controlling temperatures will allow you to brew better a beer and do it again. The easiest way is a cooler with ice bottles and chilled water bottles. Each cooler, your home and your beer will determine the number of bottles. That said, you need to know what the actual temperatures were. Some here will recommend taping a remote read thermometer to your LBK. Keeping the wort temperatures within the ranges for your yeast will bring the best results. 

Heading for my morning coffee. Others will no doubt expand upon this answer and suggest you read earlier posts in this forum. 

The reason I was thinking of a beverage cooler was because I also have a 2 gallon priemum kit that stands upright nd won’t fit in a cooler. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Dunkindog said:

Perfect. I used US-05 yeast in Coleman Belted Stainless cooler with frozen water bottles and have been able to maintain it 64. 

There you go! Just a sentence or two in the OEM instructions regarding temp control might have saved a lot of batches and retained some brewers IMO.

Now, there's plenty of posts regarding cleaning and sanitation that are worth reading to see if you spot any weak points in your process.

 

Lol, I just got back from HD with two more covered plastic totes to store carbing/conditioning bottles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dunkindog said:

What are you thoughts on a beverage cooler that gives you the ability to control the temps easier?

My bad @Dunkindog ! I misunderstood and now reading your replies concerning your current cooler, you must have meant a dedicated electric type of beverage cooler for your other fermenter that won't fit in a camping style cooler?

 

If so, its likely that you should measure that fermenter and see if it would fit in an inexpensive dorm fridge or small chest freezer. Those can be controlled with an inkbird. They sell them here on the MB site or Amazon carries a number of different controllers. I'm using two coolers right now for my LBKs, but considering getting that exact set up and putting it in my garage workshop. No ice bottles to monitor and change and you can go out of town without worrying about temps during krausen!

 

Many here use that set up and I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post. LOL, I though maybe you just had your LBK sitting in a closet and no other way of controlling the temp on it, so my bad!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cato said:

My bad @Dunkindog ! I misunderstood and now reading your replies concerning your current cooler, you must have meant a dedicated electric type of beverage cooler for your other fermenter that won't fit in a camping style cooler?

 

If so, its likely that you should measure that fermenter and see if it would fit in an inexpensive dorm fridge or small chest freezer. Those can be controlled with an inkbird. They sell them here on the MB site or Amazon carries a number of different controllers. I'm using two coolers right now for my LBKs, but considering getting that exact set up and putting it in my garage workshop. No ice bottles to monitor and change and you can go out of town without worrying about temps during krausen!

 

Many here use that set up and I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post. LOL, I though maybe you just had your LBK sitting in a closet and no other way of controlling the temp on it, so my bad!! :)

Lol. It’s all good. I do have a cooler setup but the other fermenter is way to big and was wondering if anyone had any success. Also it gets very humid in my place... I need 2 acs just to cool the living room in the summer time so I’m looking to make life a little easier for the brew. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dunkindog said:

Lol. It’s all good. I do have a cooler setup but the other fermenter is way to big and was wondering if anyone had any success. Also it gets very humid in my place... I need to acs just to cool the living room in the summer time so I’m looking to make life a little easier for the brew. 

I remember  seeing a cooler jacket for one of the conical style fermenter but not sure whether you're is a bucket or conical style. Whatever the style you can be sure others must use it too, and have to temp control it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Cato said:

I remember  seeing a cooler jacket for one of the conical style fermenter but not sure whether you're is a bucket or conical style. Whatever the style you can be sure others must use it too, and have to temp control it.

It’s the bucket style. If I choose to go that root I’ll update on how it works out and share my experiences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 7:15 PM, Dunkindog said:

So it has been five weeks and I finally bottled. Sampled it yesterday and was surprised that I had no green apple taste and I’m on the right track. Here’s a few picks... imageproxy.php?img=&key=c4b820ad04ea323fThe Coleman cooler has been my wingman during this process. 

1A420AF5-98CD-4809-9369-F58009B1BFEB.jpeg

5A25FDFC-4A1C-4590-8443-6541152DCE1C.jpeg

2CAF49BF-B7ED-4C7B-B8C0-9A891964938D.jpeg

96476855-5689-4E0D-BB8E-0D31C09EA3BD.jpeg

E349457C-3AF2-48E3-B402-1CB52FD93FD3.jpeg

Are those bottles laid on their sides? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×