Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dunkindog

Temperature Control During Fermentation

As a newbie I want to get it right. So i was wondering if anyone have any advise about temperature control. What about just putting it in a fridge? I know it's a dumb question but why not? Thank You in advanced!!

Dunkin Dog,

Research it on the forum.

Go back to the main forum page and select the "New Brewers and FAQ" forum.

Once open go to the upper right hand corner and type "Temperature Control" in the search box and click on the magnifying glass

You will have all of the information you could want on Temperature control.

Do this for any basic questions you have and then ask if you can't find an answer to your question.

Dawg

41 minutes ago, Dunkindog said:

As a newbie I want to get it right. So i was wondering if anyone have any advise about temperature control. What about just putting it in a fridge? I know it's a dumb question but why not? Thank You in advanced!!

I use these aquarium thermometers placed under a piece of cloth or foam taped to the outside of the keg half way down the liquid line. Temps inside will run a few degrees higher than external temp dur the first few days of fermentation. You can also use the Mr. Beer temp strips that stick to the front or rear of the LBK. https://www.mrbeer.com/stick-on-thermometer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9663GI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Speaking of temp control..... brewed whispering wheat recipe about 6pm last night. Put it in a cooler with my ice bottles. Thought I was doing good. Got home from work today and looked at my temp gauge and I was at 60. I look at the WW instructions and it says 64-75 so I’m like....😳. Now I’m opening the cooler lid trying to warm things up a bit. My question is....did I ruin the yeast? Did I put it to sleep? Will it wake back up when it warms up? Did I blow it? Can’t believe that I let it get too cold. As I type this were at 25 hours since pitching.....thanks y’all. 

Think I might have answered my question. The pic of the yeast pack (safbrew wb-06) on the mrb website expires in 2010. Went to my HBS website and they show a pic of 2017 yeast...same thing and the range is down to 59. Feel better now. Maybe they’ve improved the strain or something? Yeast dummy here. 

47 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

It goes to sleep when too cold.  Most wheats are fermented warm to get flavors from esters(banana) and phenols(clove).  You want it closer to 70 or low 70s.

So my question is......will it wake back up?

3 minutes ago, Shrike said:

The WB-06 yeast's optimum range is 59-75*, so it'll be fine.  But like Rick said, closer to 70* is the sweet spot.

Ok thanks. I was nervous I messed it up. I’m at 67 now and won’t add anymore ice bottles.