Mr.Beer Community

If Bewitched was brewed 3 times, using different yeasts each time, would there be a taste difference ?

I've read users here that double/triple the yeast, why ?

I've only used the yeast that comes with the refills.

13 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

If Bewitched was brewed 3 times, using different yeasts each time, would there be a taste difference ?

I've read users here that double/triple the yeast, why ?

I've only used the yeast that comes with the refills.

To simplify an answer to your questions:

1. Each yeast strain has its own taste profile.

2. The early stages of fermentation include yeast multiplication. Pitching more yeast shortens that lag period before the feeding frenzy commences.

3. In anticipation of a future and yet unasked question: Brew the kits straight up. Practice the process. Don't try to rush the learning experience. Remember the importance of sanitizing, temperature control, and patience. If your beer doesn't cause you to say WOW!, in most cases, let it condition longer.

Great database - 

No need to double or even triple the pitch. Sprinkling the small packet of dry yeast into the wort, without re hydrating, more than enough yeast cells will survive the shock (for the 2 gallon LBK). Lag time can be improved by aerating the wort.- gives the yeast a good start before they begin their anaerobic phase. Pitch at the correct temperature  - not too hot.

D Kristof, Brian N. :

Will do, thanks.

I have great attention to detail (Wife calls it OCD) call it as you wish, properly sanitizing

and pitching yeast won't be an issue.  First brew Long Play was OK, and all gone.  Second batch

Diablo was getting close to wow on the last 2 bottles.  I'm starting to think that 2 months conditioning

might be my new norm.  (in order) Long Play, Diablo, Bewitched, Ocktoberfest, Northwest & St Pat Irish stout.  Bewitched has

another month before reaching 2 month conditioning.  LBK has been busy, once a brew is bottled, another is started.  Oktoberfest

gets bottled Monday, and Northwest or the Stout will begin same day.

Updated

I am making Bewitched using Irish Ale yeast (currently fermenting) with added Cascade hops. Similar to the Rockets Red Glare recipe except I put 3/4 oz Cascade in that I had and 8 oz Wheat DME instead of an LME pack.

Why that yeast?

Because I used 1/2 pack for Irish Red Ale (see Rick Beer on overpitching) so had 1/2 pack left to use up and it being WLP004 liquid yeast, I felt the need to use it quickly.

2 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Updated

I am making Bewitched using Irish Ale yeast (currently fermenting) with added Cascade hops. Similar to the Rockets Red Glare recipe except I put 3/4 oz Cascade in that I had and 8 oz Wheat DME instead of an LME pack.

Why that yeast?

Because I used 1/2 pack for Irish Red Ale (see Rick Beer on overpitching) so had 1/2 pack left to use up and it being WLP004 liquid yeast, I felt the need to use it quickly.

Have Rockets in my LBK now and boy it smells great. Two more weeks to go before cold crash and bottling.

19 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

Nickfixit:

Thoughts of getting another LBK crosses my mind often.

The price is good. You may have to wait for a free shipping deal. Or get a kit on sale that includes LBK + Refill.

Check on Amazon.....if you have Amazon prime - free shipping....

These are not really cheaper, but you can get free shipping maybe with a smaller outlay.

For the Mr B you have to spend $60 to get 20% off but for $67.95  you can get a couple of LBKs and a couple refills.

But Amazon has Oktoberfest refill (basic - no booster or LME)  now at $11.82 and  Porter refill at $11.97

Or Amazon prime - free shipping  for $49.99 you get ALL THIS  - really not a lot cheaper but save on shipping.

Mr. Beer Premium Gold Edition 2 Gallon Homebrewing Craft Beer Making Kit with Two Beer Refills, Convenient 2 Gallon Fermenter, Bottles, Caps, Carbonation Drops, Sanitizer and Brewing Instructions

•  

55 minutes ago, Fire Rooster said:

Nickfixit:

Oxygen Pet bottles are preferred, that's where the real cost would be.

Currently enough bottles to age/condition 4 batches.

PETS are nice, but expensive! I have a couple boxes but building up a supply of single serving 12oz glass bottles.