Mr.Beer Community
robo1

Total noob question about zest

Ok, so I've been making basic Mr. Brew beers to get myself started.  Now, I want to take the Bavarian Weissbier kit, and add some orange zest to create a light fruity aroma.  So, this will be my first time adding something to my brew.  It appears that maybe the zest of 1-2 oranges would be enough for 2 gallons, correct?  And when is the best time to add the zest?

Thanks in advance.  I am a huge fan of delicious beer, but making my own is still new to me.

Robo1,

You want to make sure you only get the orange part of the peel.  The zest and not the pith.

This is very similar to what I use. 

https://www.amazon.com/Chefn-Zester-Citrus-Grater-Stainless/dp/B00OLV1VUW/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1522257925&sr=8-19&keywords=orange+zester+tool

Put the zest in a sanitized muslin bag to keep it from going everywhere in the beer.

29 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

Robo1,

You want to make sure you only get the orange part of the peel.  The zest and not the pith.

This is very similar to what I use. 

https://www.amazon.com/Chefn-Zester-Citrus-Grater-Stainless/dp/B00OLV1VUW/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1522257925&sr=8-19&keywords=orange+zester+tool

Put the zest in a sanitized muslin bag to keep it from going everywhere in the beer.

Sweet.  Thanks!

pick oranges without blemishes or signs of bugs.  lightly scrub with unscented dish soap and water, and a clean scrubby. LIGHTLY scrub. rinse.

peel your zest onto a clean plate. as mentioned dont get the white pith unless you like extremely bitter flavor.

put zest into sanitized hop sack . to help sack stay submerged, put a sanitized shot glass in the sack too. tie the end closed. gently lower into your fermenting beer. ideally add zest after the vigorous fermentation is done  (after a couple days), otherwise the fermentation will carry away aromatics. 

I’m gonna make tangerously hoppy ipa next week. It requires mandarin zest. Instructions aren’t very clear. 1/2 of the zest goes in the boiling pot....ok that’s sanitary. But then after 1week it says to add the rest of the zest and mandarin juice? How is this zest supposed to be sanitized? I’m reading here on the forum to put in muslin sacks. Again doesn’t say that in directions. Any help thanks. @MRB Josh R any thoughts about that 2nd zest addition and sanitizing? 

On 4/3/2018 at 9:52 PM, Jdub said:

I’m gonna make tangerously hoppy ipa next week. It requires mandarin zest. Instructions aren’t very clear. 1/2 of the zest goes in the boiling pot....ok that’s sanitary. But then after 1week it says to add the rest of the zest and mandarin juice? How is this zest supposed to be sanitized? I’m reading here on the forum to put in muslin sacks. Again doesn’t say that in directions. Any help thanks. @MRB Josh R any thoughts about that 2nd zest addition and sanitizing? 

It calls for two tangerines, so here's what I'd do:

1)  Zest both tangerines.  Add half to the boil as per instructions.  Put the remaining zest in a small container with enough vodka to cover it completely.

2)  After a week when it's time to add the zest, you can pour the zest - vodka and all - straight into the LBK.  However, there is always a chance that some of the zest can clog the spigot, so using a sanitized muslin sack is an option.

3)  For the juice, use two new tangerines and juice them using a sanitized juicer.  I would do it this way because fresher juice is just better.  Juicing the original two and storing the juice in a sanitized container in the fridge is an option.  But after a week, it just won't be as good as fresh (I've seen some places that recommend storing fresh squeezed juice for no more than three days).

Again, this is just my $0.02.  If someone has a better method ( @MRB Tim ?) please share.

1 hour ago, Shrike said:

1)  Zest both tangerines.  Add half to the boil as per instructions.  Put the remaining zest in a small container with enough vodka to cover it completely.

2)  After a week when it's time to add the zest, you can pour the zest - vodka and all - straight into the LBK.  However, there is always a chance that some of the zest can clog the spigot, so using a sanitized muslin sack is an option.

3)  For the juice, use two new tangerines and juice them using a sanitized juicer.  I would do it this way because fresher juice is just better.  Juicing the original two and storing the juice in a sanitized container in the fridge is an option.  But after a week, it just won't be as good as fresh (I've seen some places that recommend storing fresh squeezed juice for no more than three days).

Again, this is just my $0.02.  If someone has a better method ( @MRB Tim ?) please share.

@Shrike as usual solid advice. Hadn’t considered the vodka. That spirit is in no short supply at mi casa. Yes all along I knew I would use fresh juice when it’s time for addition rather than storing it. Thanks again. Bottling whispering wheat and brewing tangerously this weekend. Jdub. 

2 hours ago, Jdub said:

@Shrike as usual solid advice. Hadn’t considered the vodka. That spirit is in no short supply at mi casa. Yes all along I knew I would use fresh juice when it’s time for addition rather than storing it. Thanks again. Bottling whispering wheat and brewing tangerously this weekend. Jdub. 

I look forward to hearing how it turns out.  It's in my brew queue but I won't get to it for a couple of months.

20 hours ago, Shrike said:

Not to sound totally stupid (I’m the OP noob), but when do you add the juice? At the same time as the vodka/zest? 

1 hour ago, robo1 said:

Not to sound totally stupid (I’m the OP noob), but when do you add the juice? At the same time as the vodka/zest? 

Yep.  And we were all noobs at some point, so questions aren't a problem.