Timelordjason

Heavy Mcwee Carbing Question

6 posts in this topic

So, 
My heavy Mcwee has been bottled for two weeks now. The bottles are not completely firm, they are firmer but not hard like a rock like my other brews have been. I followed the directions for using table sugar for priming.  Just wondering if it takes longer for this recipe, IF not I may need to question the caps on my brand new PET Bottles? Or does using table sugar change the process as far as time or anything? It was the first try at table sugar as i used the drops before.I search for my answer but did not find anything recipe specific. 

56 minutes ago, Timelordjason said:

Just wondering if it takes longer for this recipe,

The usual culprit with extended carb time is low temperature, in my experience. Style usually doesn't have much to do with it. Have you ever used these bottles before?

Timelordjason likes this

Recipe makes no difference.

Table sugar carbs faster than anything, IF there was a difference that you would notice (there is not).

Agree on the low temp.  Make sure they are 70 or higher.  

Based on other posts, leaky caps are noticeable by liquid coming out when gently turned, or CO2 noticed when you squeeze.  

27 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

The usual culprit with extended carb time is low temperature, in my experience. Style usually doesn't have much to do with it. Have you ever used these bottles before?

Well I havent used these particular ones they were just unboxed the day of bottling. I will check the temp tonight but they were in the same place with the last bottles i carbed.

MRB Tim likes this

Just now, RickBeer said:

Recipe makes no difference.

Table sugar carbs faster than anything, IF there was a difference that you would notice (there is not).

Agree on the low temp.  Make sure they are 70 or higher.  

Based on other posts, leaky caps are noticeable by liquid coming out when gently turned, or CO2 noticed when you squeeze.  

I will also do bottle tests tonight too.

MRB Tim likes this

Usually I double check that the caps are tight an hour or two after bottling. Funny how often I find one that is not fully tight, although I would swear that I had screwed then down very tight at the time. 

D Kristof and Bonsai & Brew like this