Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
epete28

Sir Kenneth Blonde Ale

15 posts in this topic

I'm with Brian, I look forward to hearing how this turned out as I'll be bottling my batch tomorrow.

It's really good fellas, I'd make it again for sure. It's on the lighter side, but not lacking in flavor at all. It's an easy drinker, It'd be no problem to knock out a whole batch in a couple days. Lol

youdontknowme311 and Shrike like this

36 minutes ago, epete28 said:

It's really good fellas, I'd make it again for sure. It's on the lighter side, but not lacking in flavor at all. It's an easy drinker, It'd be no problem to knock out a whole batch in a couple days. Lol

Maybe that's why they call it "Blonde"...  ;)

Shrike likes this

11 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Maybe that's why they call it "Blonde"...  ;)

Okay, that's a blonde "DUH" moment on my part, I'll own it!😁😁😁

Cato and Shrike like this

9 hours ago, 76shovel said:

How Blonde is Blonde?  My Sir Kenneth is quite amber.

Nothing wrong with having a ginger from time to time. LOL.

Shrike, Cato and 76shovel like this

On 4/4/2018 at 7:19 AM, D Kristof said:

Nothing wrong with having a ginger from time to time. LOL.

Gingers are great!

My Whispering and Wild Wheat  are both nice and yellow, The Whispering says it has an SRM of 3,  Sir Kenneth also lists an  SRM of 3 but I can tell you mine came out a lot darker than that.  I have Brigid's Blonde conditioning, That is listed as  an SRM of 6, it'll be interesting to see how it comes out.

I know taste is all that matters, just trying to understand it.

While I have not brewed Sir Kenneth, my guess would be caramelized sugars. When I bring my water to "boil", I'm somewhere between 180 and 200 degrees. My beers have been much lighter in color.

76shovel likes this

15 hours ago, D Kristof said:

While I have not brewed Sir Kenneth, my guess would be caramelized sugars. When I bring my water to "boil", I'm somewhere between 180 and 200 degrees. My beers have been much lighter in color.

Good point. I bring it to an actual boil, that should be 212F,  after I have added booster  (when I use a booster)  maybe I should change that sequence up. 

Thanks.

D Kristof likes this

On 4/5/2018 at 7:24 PM, D Kristof said:

I'm intrigued...I might have to try bringing the water to a "high simmer" instead of a boil just to see for myself any difference in color.  I caveat that by adding that color really isn't that important to me.  If my ambers are more brown, it's okay as long as they taste good.  But for some of the lighter recipes clarity of color would be nice.

Cato and D Kristof like this

18 minutes ago, Shrike said:

I'm intrigued...I might have to try bringing the water to a "high simmer" instead of a boil just to see for myself any difference in color.  I caveat that by adding that color really isn't that important to me.  If my ambers are more brown, it's okay as long as they taste good.  But for some of the lighter recipes clarity of color would be nice.

I am interested in knowing if your results are similar.

8 hours ago, Shrike said:

I looked through my stash of supplies and I really don't have any of the more pale recipes in stock right now but yeah, for the next one I will cool the boiled water a touch before any additions and see what happens as far as color.  I suppose to make this a legit test I should do another Sir Kenneth Blonde. Oh damn. ;)

Sorry for the derail epete!

epete28 likes this

6 hours ago, 76shovel said:

I looked through my stash of supplies and I really don't have any of the more pale recipes in stock right now but yeah, for the next one I will cool the boiled water a touch before any additions and see what happens as far as color.  I suppose to make this a legit test I should do another Sir Kenneth Blonde. Oh damn. ;)

Sorry for the derail epete!

I never answered the original question, but mine is really blonde, like almost Bud Light Blonde. After I mashed, I boiled it well, for 5 minutes or so, and I'm talking a rolling boil, so I don't know.

76shovel likes this