Dan`s Brew

Octoberfest plus sugar

34 posts in this topic

Except that each calculator gives different results.  Compare side by side with a hydrometer and you won't match up.  

kedogn and Cato like this

1 hour ago, dale hihn said:

I have no use for a hydrometer now that I have my refractometer.

Mine is collecting dust... I went back to the hydrometer.  I don't trust the refractometer or the calcs you need to get the digits.

Cato likes this

To each their own. Brewers friend and seanterril.com are same result and they jive with my hydrometer reading as I verified after calibrating the refractometer. My main use is to know when fermentation has completed. I’m not concerned if I’m out slightly on abv. 

BDawg62 likes this

Dale, The refractometer calculator is great, just  plug your numbers in and it does the work. It gives FG instantly THANKS.....Dan

Jdub and dale hihn like this

When is the best time to add the DME to my next OCTOBERFEST brew ?  I sure don`t want to screw that up.......Dan

Heat water on the stove a bit, then remove the pot and gently stir in the DME a little at a time.  Return pot to stove, bring to boil while constantly stirring.  Remove from heat, add can of HME.

Dan`s Brew likes this

15 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Heat water on the stove a bit, then remove the pot and gently stir in the DME a little at a time.  Return pot to stove, bring to boil while constantly stirring.  Remove from heat, add can of HME.

If you purchase the DME from your local homebrew store, it will likely be in a 1 lb bag. My suggestion is to pour out the amount you want to use into a bowl before trying to adding it to the water. If you don't and try to pour from the bag, the steam will begin forming syrup on your bag. Picture cotton candy on a humid August afternoon. When you add the HME, the water only needs to reach a low boil. High boil risks caramelizing some of the sugars in your extracts. 

Dan`s Brew, Shrike, Jdub and 2 others like this