Mr.Beer Community
Dan`s Brew

Octoberfest plus sugar

Enjoying my first brew. The OCTOBERFEST, with 2 cups of sugar added. Followed the 3/4 program. Very happy with the results. My Doctor says if something tastes extra good, chances are it is not good for you. Unless he reads this post he will never know. Just started my second 2 gal. with only 1 1/2 cups of sugar. The first brew with 2 cups of sugar made me fell like a kid with his first bicycle., If you can give me an idea on ABV for OCTOBERFEST with 1 1/2 cups of sugar I would appreciate the input....Dan

I guess I just wanted it to have its own identity. It  sure did add some` Happy `to the Brew, maybe just a little too much.. Will cut it down 1/4 cup each Brew,.so I can have more than one at a time.....Dan

Thanks for the heads-up. The sugar was handy so it went in. The taste is very good , but I would not drink more than one 16 ounce,bottle at a time. I will need to get some LME and Booster and I guess a HYDROMETER would be a good idea. Thanks again...Dan

3 hours ago, Dan`s Brew said:

Thanks for the heads-up. The sugar was handy so it went in. The taste is very good , but I would not drink more than one 16 ounce,bottle at a time. I will need to get some LME and Booster and I guess a HYDROMETER would be a good idea. Thanks again...Dan

Hey Dan, don't mind Rick....I would never add table sugar and neither would Rick and probably most of these guys.  But, and there is always a but, I am a firm believer in "it's your beer, and if you like it, it is the right thing to do".   With that said, mayhaps you try using DME/LME or booster one time and see if you don't like it even more.

I second that. I would look at the MRB site and look for a recipe that sounds appealing to fit your can of HME. 

https://www.mrbeer.com/refills/recipes?brewingextracttype=76

i have an excellent local home brew shop near where I live and I’ll get all the extra ingredients there or order from MRB. I don’t know much but it’s been fun brewing since January. Good luck!

Sugar will add to alcohol level, but not body, so it will thin the beer and add dryness to the "mouth feel". Myself, and many here would advocate adding malt to raise flavor, body, and alcohol. More malt can be balanced with additional hops. 

Brian N. And jdub ,, Thanks for the info... I like what you said. Thanks for taking the  time to educate me. I am looking forward to trying it.. Yes I do enjoy the brew as it is , except for it  being a little on the HAPPY side....Thanks again......Dan

@Dan`s Brew, first welcome to the hobby.

As you can tell there are many different ways to go about things. As some of the others have said, I'd give the LME or booster a try and compare the results. Maybe you can even brew them back to back your original way and with the booster. That way you might be able to drink them at the same time. Many of us on here actually have more than one LBK which would make things even easier to brew and compare. Think of what you are seeing as advice and general guidelines. In the end, you are making beer for you and possibly a few friends. If you like it, keep making it the way you did or maybe look for ways to make it even better! In brewing there are few things that are absolutes, but there are many generally accepted practices. Which ones you choose to follow and to what degree is part of what makes this fun. So, brew your beer and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Brian, that sounds delicious. The sugar idea came from MR BEER over twenty years ago. Sugar, is in my brewing instructions. The way` Barney Fife` got  his panties in a wad , you would have thought I was a  criminal. I never got a chance to use my MR BEER back then. .My work involved travel. We are now in our forever home. MR BEER is now out of the garage and at work.. When I tried to order a replacement TAP from MR BEER, they said it was too old and they replaced the LBK. no charge. Good people. Brian, you represent the Brewing hobby very well much better than some. Thanks for your help.....Dan

edfbrian,  I appreciate the WELLCOME.my taste buds have been put through the mill in my many years. The rations we ate in the 50`s were from WW2. from then on everything taste pretty good .Looking forward to the new brewing suggestions. Brian thanks for taking the time to give advice.....Dan

21 minutes ago, Dan`s Brew said:

Brian, that sounds delicious. The sugar idea came from MR BEER over twenty years ago. Sugar, is in my brewing instructions. 

Sounds like more of a 'welcome back' then. I do remember people previously stating that old instructions used to include references to adding sugar. Makes total sense now! Sugar still has it's place in brewing and can be found in many commercial breweries though usually it's reserved for high ABV beers like double IPAs. Those topics are probably better off being discussed over in the advanced techniques part of the forum. :) 

Thanks Dan - We all agree that beer is a wonderful adjunct to our lives. How we brew it can be so varied. Just think of the many styles of beer around the world. If we all followed the"rules"  we would still be drinking some caveman style of fermented beverage. Good luck with all your brews, may they be tasty and satisfying. 

You all have made me feel more welcome than expected, THANKS for all the advice. I now have 3 pounds DME dark and a REFRACTOMETER  on order. Looking forward to some tasty brews. Thanks for  all the suggestions.....Dan

9 hours ago, Dan`s Brew said:

You all have made me feel more welcome than expected, THANKS for all the advice. I now have 3 pounds DME dark and a REFRACTOMETER  on order. Looking forward to some tasty brews. Thanks for  all the suggestions.....Dan

Welcome! The Refractometer has been an amazing tool for me. Make sure to use a refractometer calculator as found on brewersfriend or seanterrill.com. Good luck!

2 hours ago, dale hihn said:

Welcome! The Refractometer has been an amazing tool for me. Make sure to use a refractometer calculator as found on brewersfriend or seanterrill.com. Good luck!

Is there much accuracy difference between a refractometer and hydrometer? I've used them before in a different application but the idea of taking such a small sampling vs the hydrometer tube is certainly appealing.

Refractometer works fine to read OG.  Once fermentation begins, it has little usage for most people as the presence of alcohol throws it off.  

In a commercial brewery, they'll do multiple readings of OG during the brewing process, then send it to the fermenter.  Readings from the fermenter are done with a hydrometer though.  

Given that your initial sample can be poured back (assuming you sanitized the tube and the hydrometer), there is little need for a refractomer in homebrewing.

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Refractometer works fine to read OG.  Once fermentation begins, it has little usage for most people as the presence of alcohol throws it off.  

In a commercial brewery, they'll do multiple readings of OG during the brewing process, then send it to the fermenter.  Readings from the fermenter are done with a hydrometer though.  

Given that your initial sample can be poured back (assuming you sanitized the tube and the hydrometer), there is little need for a refractomer in homebrewing.

Ah, thanks Rick! I didn't know that it couldn't do FG, so for as few times as its needed, one tool is enough for me.

You actually can do final gravity accurately, you just need to use the refractometer calculators as mentioned. It saves me time (and beer!) and I find it much more convenient. I have no use for a hydrometer now that I have my refractometer. Especially nice for measuring gravity of first runnings or measuring after a few days of fermentation. Cheers.