Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
kedogn

Possible Hop Combo

I'm just curious if anyone has used any of the following hops:  Horizon, Legacy or Sterling?  Each of them are described as having "Citrus" and "Floral" with some "Spice".   I have never used any of them, but am hoping to do so in an upcoming IPA.

I've been researching hops that start with H, L and S for this beer.  All beers I do have a story behind them and this is one that an old friend suggested I name a beer, "Hook, Line & Sinker".  I thought it would be cool if I used a hop that started with those letters... on top of that, "HLS" was my office code back in the day with Jackson Hewitt, so double meaning for me :)

Any thoughts on those 3 hops?

Thanks! :)

Sterling hops didn't really wow me. I easily see them being tied to the basic lager category. They lack any citrus punch, IMO. The others sound good, although I don't have any experience with them (in practice or in taste). 

Horizon- sweetly floral with hop spice

legacy- not on the chart I’m staring at

sterling- herbal qualities reminiscent of Saaz, flashes of sweet grass

ive used sterling in a lager before. I think I bittered with Amarillo per recipe but subbed sterling for saaz for a late addition hop. I got no citrus or fruity. Floral, like a noble hop with a subtle American kick to it. That’s how I would describe my experience with it. 

Ok, great.  Thank you for the feedback.  I have a few weeks before I will be able to brew it, so maybe I will have to research a little more.   I don't have to use hops that have the HLS theme, but I would really like too, so let's see what I can come up with. :)

1 minute ago, BDawg62 said:

How about Simco for the "S"

I was thinking the same thing, but that's a lot of high-alpha bittering hops. The "S" hops don't give many of options, particularly for available aroma type varieties.