Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cato

Does malt counter act bitterness?

4 posts in this topic

I've added a Diablo IPA to my queue which  might very likely push my limits on hoppiness and bitterness, but I'm going to give it a shot brewed straight up in an effort to expand my taste profiles a bit from just balanced and malty, lol, my safe zone.

If I find that I can handle the hops in this recipe but it's too bitter  for my liking, would adding an LME, or malt grains for some sweetness help counteract the bitterness? 

maltodextrin powder will also sweeten it up without making it more malty. If you add malt you will get more maltiness, higher ABV and not necessarily more sweetness but it will make it seem less hoppy in % in the taste.

Also if you keep it 6 months the hoppiness will fade some.

1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

maltodextrin powder will also sweeten it up without making it more malty. If you add malt you will get more maltiness, higher ABV and not necessarily more sweetness but it will make it seem less hoppy in % in the taste.

Also if you keep it 6 months the hoppiness will fade some.

Thanks, Nick, I've got an NWPA about to cold crash, and Santa Catalina Pale Ale next up. Between the craft IPA's and a pale ale build where I get to control the hops, I'll  figure out what I like the best. Lol, hedging my tasting experiment with LBK #2 with darks and ambers!