Fire Rooster

PET Bottles

10 posts in this topic

Not doing glass.

Are Oxygen 740ml bottles worth the extra cost over regular PET bottles, if you don't intend to condition longer than a year ?

Are Oxygen 740ml bottles worth the extra cost just for their durability ?

How do you prep/clean PET bottles to be reused.

Thanks

Thanks, currently that are my thoughts.

Inquiring before I jump in with both feet, and buy

enough bottles for a pipeline to sustain my drinking.

Cato likes this

Regular PET brown bottles are fine. I rinse them after the beer is done, shake with a few drops of dish washing liquid, rinse and repeat. As Rickbeer said, sanitize before filing. BTW - let them dry and store without the caps on (unless you like mold).

Kevin Caffrey likes this

Agree with Rick and Brian N.  Been using the PET bottles for 3 years and have had no issues.

Best of luck!

Kevin

Been buying the oxygen barrier bottles all along so I don’t get em mixed up. Really not needed?  Even for the 12 + month conditioning brews? 

7 hours ago, 76shovel said:

Been buying the oxygen barrier bottles all along so I don’t get em mixed up. Really not needed?  Even for the 12 + month conditioning brews? 

I've stored for as long as 1 1/2 years in regular plastic w/o problem many times. I really don't know what the oxygen barrier bottles are for. Maybe there's people who store forever?

76shovel likes this

1 hour ago, gophers6 said:

I've stored for as long as 1 1/2 years in regular plastic w/o problem many times. I really don't know what the oxygen barrier bottles are for. Maybe there's people who store forever?

Thanks,  I may never need to buy more but if I do I'll save some money on them.