Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
teampaul

Labeling

9 posts in this topic

very new to the home brewing group. Only have brewed 2 batches and I am trying to build up a supply of different beers. What is the best way to label the bottles, but still be able to reuse the bottles for different brews without having the bottles all scribbled up??? 

When attaching an actual label, I print the label on regular printer paper, run a glue stick over the back, and affix it.  The glue stick provides enough adhesive to keep the label on, but not so much that it makes a mess when taking it off.  Just running some warm water over the label is enough to remove it.

I usually only put labels on four-six bottles of a batch.  For the rest I write what's in the bottle on the cap with a Sharpie.  For example, I have caps with "SIR" for Sir Kenneth Blond Ale, "SW" for Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout, "Nova" for Novacaine, etc.  For PET bottles I do the same but use a piece of masking tape on the cap to write on.

As an aside, for the labels I use beerlabelizer.com.  Here's a previous post I made about them.

TonyKZ1, Jdub and hotrod3539 like this

I also print my own on regular paper. I use a edited .pdf file from Brooklyn BrewShop and also Beer Labelizer. I print them, then cut them out, and attach to the glass bottles with milk, when I still used the plastic 1 Liter bottles I used a glue stick. The labels come off easily in hot water when you rinse them after drinking the contents. Here's a couple of my recent labels.

label.jpg

Beer Label Screenshot.jpg

Shrike, Nickfixit and hotrod3539 like this

Thanks for the quick reply, I really like the sample of your label you sent. I 'm going to start on my own design now.  

I use the Avery 1 inch round seals and stick them on the bottle cap. Works for 12 oz anf Mr Beer PET bottles. They are just the  ight size and much easier to read than hand printing and you can read them from the top which is great if they are in boxes or 6 packs.

For reuse, you just stick on top of last one. If there are too many they will peel off and you start again.  There are 15 per sheet. Enough for PET bottles and a couple of glass ones. per batch which is generally what I do so I have a couple glass ones per batch to give away. Avery plugin for Word lets you make these.

Belgian Wit batch 4 label.docx

For special occasions I will make regular style labels too

TonyKZ1 likes this

I just print mine on paper and then just tape each end to glass or PET bottle. For most of my glass though I just use a marker on the bottle cap, unless it's for presentation, the I'll tape a label on it.

20180317_145148-1.jpg

youdontknowme311 and Shrike like this

3 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

I like the idea of sticking on paper labels with milk.

I tried using the milk method.  I don't know if I was using too much or too little, but they'd never adhere for long.  Once the label dried, if I moved the bottle or brushed the label against something the label would fall right off.