Palmetto Brew

How long to condition?

12 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new to brewing and I have just started my 1st batch of Rose's Rambling Red in my LBK.  I prepared for fermentation exactly as the directions said.  I am about two weeks in and expect to bottle in another week.  My question is in the instructions it says Fermentation: 3 weeks, Carbonation: 3 weeks, Bottle Conditioning: 2-4 weeks, Total Brewing, Time: 2-3 months.  The numbers don't add up.  Is the carbonation time included with the conditioning?  How long after bottling do I need to condition the beer before I drink it?

Carbing and conditioning can be thought of as one process. Generally, a minimum of 4 weeks at room temp after bottling. Then move a bottle to the fridge for 3 days of cold conditioning and drink it.

hotrod3539 and RickBeer like this

51 minutes ago, gophers6 said:

Carbing and conditioning can be thought of as one process. Generally, a minimum of 4 weeks at room temp after bottling. Then move a bottle to the fridge for 3 days of cold conditioning and drink it.

Thanks for the clarification!

I think of it this way:  during the three weeks for carbonation, the yeast are busy eating the sugar and farting out enough CO2 for you to have a nicely carb'd brew.  After they've eaten all the sugar, then they settle in and slowly help your beer's flavor improve - the conditioning phase.  When you look at it that way, the numbers DO add up:
 Fermentation: 3 weeks

+ Carbonation: 3 weeks

+ Bottle Conditioning: 2-4 weeks

Total Brewing, Time:  2-3 months

But as gophers6 said, for a brew like Rose's Rambling Red, put one in the fridge a month after bottling, let it sit for three days, then try it.  If you like the way it tastes, consider them ready to go.  If not, let them sit for another two weeks or so, then try another.

Oh, and welcome to the hobby and the forum!

Brian N., Jdub and youdontknowme311 like this

I pretty much figure it's going to be approx 1.5 to 2 months from bottling to chilling for the faster ales. Of course stouts might sit (condition) for months before chilling.

3 weeks from bottling to chilling then another month or two of cold conditioning for the lagers.

Not saying it's right but that's what I've been dong.

Shrike likes this

3 hours ago, 76shovel said:

I pretty much figure it's going to be approx 1.5 to 2 months from bottling to chilling for the faster ales. Of course stouts might sit (condition) for months before chilling.

3 weeks from bottling to chilling then another month or two of cold conditioning for the lagers.

Thanks!

On 4/6/2018 at 3:39 PM, gophers6 said:

Thanks for the advice I can't wait to get to taste one!!

On 4/9/2018 at 6:02 AM, 76shovel said:

Dude it's going to be a long 2 months!

MiniYoda likes this

That's one of the problems of this hobby.....patience.  But, while you wait, go to the local beer shop and buy a variety of beers.  I do this to taste different styles and variations of them

76shovel likes this

21 hours ago, Palmetto Brew said:

Dude it's going to be a long 2 months!

Not so bad after a while when you’ve got  3 fermenters going and a stash built up. I keep jumping back and forth between the faster brews and the longer conditioning ones so I have something going for 1.5 to 2 months from now and something in the works for 5-8 months from now.   With 2  to 2.5 gallon mixes it seems it took a year to get there. ( with a few breaks in the process)

Shrike, John K. and Cato like this