Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
76shovel

Lock Stock and Barrel III

23 posts in this topic

Folks,

I have two batches of LS&B in the works. The first batch is almost 5 months since bottling so I had one tonight, great stuff!  The 2nd batch is a very slight variation on the first, not sampled yet.  I am looking for suggestions on any mods for the 3rd batch.

Jdub likes this

11 hours ago, 76shovel said:

Folks,

I have two batches of LS&B in the works. The first batch is almost 5 months since bottling so I had one tonight, great stuff!  The 2nd batch is a very slight variation on the first, not sampled yet.  I am looking for suggestions on any mods for the 3rd batch.

Cacao nibs, treacle and sub 1 of the Smooth LMEs with Robust?

3 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

...Oh, and don't forget the Special B!🍻

cocao nibs I've got...

treacle I had to look up ...

noun
noun: treacle; plural noun: treacles
  1. 1.
    British term for molasses.

But Special B? That one is going over my head. 

On 4/7/2018 at 10:43 AM, Bonsai & Brew said:

...Oh, and don't forget the Special B!🍻

These are the listed LS&B ingredients, would you substitute the special B for the malts or or use it as an addition?    I figure I better ask before I wreck the process. 

• 2 St. Patrick’s Irish Stout (Yeast under lid. You won’t be using this.)
  • 3 Brewmax LME – Smooth
  • 1 Packet 2-row (4 oz. You'll only use 2 oz. for this recipe.)
  • 1 Packet Munich (4 oz. You'll only use 2 oz. for this recipe.)
  • 1 Packet Chocolate Malt (4 oz. You'll only use 2 oz. for this recipe.)
  • 1 Packet Roasted Barley (4 oz. You'll only use 2 oz. for this recipe.)
  • 1 Packet Flaked Oats (4 oz. You'll only use 2 oz. for this recipe.)
  • 2 Packets Willamette Pellet Hops (1/2 oz each)
  • 3 Muslin Sacks
  • 1 Nottingham Yeast
  • 1 Packet Oak Chips (1 oz)
  • 1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

1 hour ago, 76shovel said:

These are the listed LS&B ingredients, would you substitute the special B for the malts or or use it as an addition?    I figure I better ask before I wreck the process. 

• 2 St. Patrick’s Irish Stout (Yeast under lid. You won’t be using this.)
  • 3 Brewmax LME – Smooth
  • 1 Packet 2-row (4 oz. You'll only use 2 oz. for this recipe.)
  • 1 Packet Munich (4 oz. You'll only use 2 oz. for this recipe.)
  • 1 Packet Chocolate Malt (4 oz. You'll only use 2 oz. for this recipe.)
  • 1 Packet Roasted Barley (4 oz. You'll only use 2 oz. for this recipe.)
  • 1 Packet Flaked Oats (4 oz. You'll only use 2 oz. for this recipe.)
  • 2 Packets Willamette Pellet Hops (1/2 oz each)
  • 3 Muslin Sacks
  • 1 Nottingham Yeast
  • 1 Packet Oak Chips (1 oz)
  • 1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

Use just a couple ounces in addition to the other grains listed. 

76shovel likes this

Thanks, I have a bag of Special B coming but after I ordered it I realized it's not crushed.  So for the few oz I need I guess I am going to have to find a rolling pin... or a hammer.

Bonsai & Brew likes this

I need some input on this.

I found a thread on Rum Smoke and Oak dark ale. 

What might be anyone's thoughts on substituting 100 proof spiced rum for the bourbon in the LS&B stout recipe? ... of course adding the Special B malt.

HoppySmile! and Bonsai & Brew like this

What might be anyone's thoughts on substituting 100 proof spiced rum for the bourbon in the LS&B stout recipe? ... of course adding the Special B malt.

I think it'd be quite tasty.  LSBBS is a robust brew so I don't think rum would be too sweet for it.

I totally agree w/Shrike!

Shrike and D Kristof like this

Like @HoppySmile! used to say, be careful taking brewing advice from a tiny tree guy.;)

Actually though, my 3rd batch of RS&O is conditioning now.  As is typical, I drank the trub bottle "early" and it is quite good.  This should be a very nice brew for Fall.

And so it shall be.....

I will start out with LS&B recipe, swapping out a smooth LME with a Robust and adding 2-3 oz of Special B malt, somehow I will work in  Cocao nibs and molasses. Two weeks in I'll add the rum soaked oak chips. .... and by rum soaked I'm talking 8-10 oz of Bacardi 100 proof spiced.    In 5-6 months we'll know how it came out.

Not sure what to call it... Bonsai Rum Barrel Brew?   ;)

8 hours ago, 76shovel said:

And so it shall be.....

I will start out with LS&B recipe, swapping out a smooth LME with a Robust and adding 2-3 oz of Special B malt, somehow I will work in  Cocao nibs and molasses. Two weeks in I'll add the rum soaked oak chips. .... and by rum soaked I'm talking 8-10 oz of Bacardi 100 proof spiced.    In 5-6 months we'll know how it came out.

Not sure what to call it... Bonsai Rum Barrel Brew?   ;)

Sounds like a plan.  Regarding the use of treacle, I was reminded of this article on brewing an Old Ale: https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-old-ale/.  That author (and others) would not substitute molasses for English treacle, but is there really a difference?  Who knows, but I would bet that in a robust stout like LS&B, you probably would not notice any difference.  When brewing with treacle, I do a short boil (5-10 min) late addition using just a quarter cup or so.  You could also hop-sack the nibs and throw those in at the same time.  Good luck!

D Kristof and 76shovel like this

Ok did this last weekend. Lock Stock and Barrel Recipe but added approx 3 oz hand crushed Special B to the steeping portion of the process.  I added 1/2 cup of molasses to the boil (I could not find treacle locally), I substituted a Robust LME for one of the Smooths.  I put it it all in the fermenter filled to the 9.5 liter line, stirred up,  then I realized  I FORGOT THE COCAO!   Well,  I have leftover grains and malts for another batch.

The oak is soaking in 8-9oz of 100 proof spiced rum.

Shrike, Jdub, KaijuBrew and 2 others like this

10 hours ago, 76shovel said:

Ok did this last weekend. Lock Stock and Barrel Recipe but added approx 3 oz hand crushed Special B to the steeping portion of the process.  I added 1/2 cup of molasses to the boil (I could not find treacle locally), I substituted a Robust LME for one of the Smooths.  I put it it all in the fermenter filled to the 9.5 liter line, stirred up,  then I realized  I FORGOT THE COCAO!   Well,  I have leftover grains and malts for another batch.

Lock Stock and Barrel is a great recipe!  It goes too quick!

On 4/9/2018 at 6:20 PM, Shrike said:

I think it'd be quite tasty.  LSBBS is a robust brew so I don't think rum would be too sweet for it.

Sailor Jerry is a nice choice 

76shovel likes this

On 4/17/2018 at 6:03 AM, 76shovel said:

Ok did this last weekend. Lock Stock and Barrel Recipe but added approx 3 oz hand crushed Special B to the steeping portion of the process.  I added 1/2 cup of molasses to the boil (I could not find treacle locally), I substituted a Robust LME for one of the Smooth.  I put it it all in the fermenter filled to the 9.5 liter line, stirred up,  then I realized  I FORGOT THE COCAO!   Well,  I have leftover grains and malts for another batch.

Bottling day was yesterday, I felt the sample was great but I may be a bit biased. I know I am going to start another batch right away with the leftover grains from the original order. Since I used Captain Morgan 100 proof Spiced Rum I labeled it-  Captain's Barrel -

The next batch will get a 2 oz of the Cocao Nibs in the steeping phase. Should I cold steep that or would it be ok at 165F ?

Shrike likes this

2 hours ago, 76shovel said:

Bottling day was yesterday, I felt the sample was great but I may be a bit biased. I know I am going to start another batch right away with the leftover grains from the original order. Since I used Captain Morgan 100 proof Spiced Rum I labeled it-  Captain's Barrel -

The next batch will get a 2 oz of the Cocao Nibs in the steeping phase. Should I cold steep that or would it be ok at 165F ?

Rather than steeping with the grains, I think adding them to the last 10 min. of the boil would yield the most flavor.  I'm under the impression that you really like the Lock, Stock & Barrel recipe!  Here's to Stout!:D

KaijuBrew likes this

6 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Rather than steeping with the grains, I think adding them to the last 10 min. of the boil would yield the most flavor.  I'm under the impression that you really like the Lock, Stock & Barrel recipe!  Here's to Stout!:D

I will follow your advice, as far as liking it goes, well it IS what’s happening right now. 😆

A158F78C-0153-4FBE-95F5-623B0F854383.jpeg

On 4/17/2018 at 6:03 AM, 76shovel said:

Ok did this last weekend. Lock Stock and Barrel Recipe but added approx 3 oz hand crushed Special B to the steeping portion of the process.  I added 1/2 cup of molasses to the boil (I could not find treacle locally), I substituted a Robust LME for one of the Smooths.  I put it it all in the fermenter filled to the 9.5 liter line, stirred up,  then I realized  I FORGOT THE COCAO!   Well, I have leftover grains and malts for another batch.

To use up my leftovers I did Lock Stock IV this weekend, or maybe I should say Captain's Barrel II.

Followed the pattern above but this time I got the Cocao nibs included in the late boil.