Mr.Beer Community

30 minutes ago, Fire Rooster said:

What would possibly be a good alternative to 2 LBKs ?

2 LBKs will sustain an acceptable level of brews.

However, I'm not keen on filling and cleaning 2 LBKs,

possibly one bucket ? conical ?

Thoughts, suggestions ?

Go to your LHBS and get a 6.5 gallon bucket. A bottling bucket if you must but I preferred a racking cane with a bottle filler for whatever reason. https://www.homebrewing.org/65-Gallon-Ale-Pail-Primary-Fermenting-Bucket_p_879.html

man I loved buckets. Easy to move, easy to clean, a pain in the butt to open the first few times but all together one of my favorite fermenters. Just make sure you don’t treat your bucket like a bucket. Remember that it is your fermenter and it is not to hold tools and such. You wouldn’t want to scratch the inside. 

I do still use big mouth bubblers / fermonsters / siphonless carboys. 6.5 gallon ones though. Super nice

The only thing that stops me from buying a 7 gallon conical is the inability to temp control. Can’t fit that in a cooler. I know there’s some kind of wrap thing you can buy. I could add an ink bird to one of my garage fridges.....not quite ready yet. Would love the experts’ thoughts. 

33 minutes ago, Jdub said:

The only thing that stops me from buying a 7 gallon conical is the inability to temp control. Can’t fit that in a cooler. I know there’s some kind of wrap thing you can buy. I could add an ink bird to one of my garage fridges.....not quite ready yet. Would love the experts’ thoughts. 

I’m not a professional, nor do I make professional beer. Temp control is by far one of the most important parts of brewing however, so many brewers brew by the season. What state do you live in? Do you have four seasons? I live in Wisconsin which mostly sucks but I can brew lagers in the winter, Hefeweizens in the summer and all the pale ales I want in the spring and fall. 

Dont get get me wrong, it’s super nice to have full control. I want my Saison at 80, I set my controller to 80. I want my lager at 55, then I set it to 55. Im Just saying there’s options. In the winter I have a closet under my stairs that’s like 53ish so that’s where my lagers go. Then when I’m ready to give them a D rest, I just move the fermenter on the other side of the wall for a day or so and then Back in the closet it goes. 

I know ive preached this before but there is no magical number that works for all yeast. Grab a packet of something you’ve never used before, find out what styles it’s used for and brew with it.  Don’t limit yourself to 64 degree Ales or think you can’t do lagers without a controller. There like 7 billion yeast strains out there. Get to know some. 

Im not yelling at you specifically. Im just trying to educate. I’ve never seen my brewing idol Don Osborn with an inkbird in his closet. Not that I know of at least. 

Rant over. Thank you for your time. 

@Fire Rooster spiedel makes some seriously nice products. But in the end, it’s still just another plastic bucket style fermenter. Save the cash and buy an ale pail. Wait for the devil Northern Brewer to run a promo on big mouth bubblers and get a brew hauler strap for it. So much cheaper. 

@every Brewer on here, it’s easy to get caught up in the thoughts of “im just ______ away from being able to do ______”. Trust me, that never ends. Ask my wife, she sees the packages arrive all the time. Shop smart, don’t be impulsive and learn contentment. That’s my advice to any Brewer anywhere. 

10 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I’m not a professional, nor do I make professional beer. Temp control is by far one of the most important parts of brewing however, so many brewers brew by the season. What state do you live in? Do you have four seasons? I live in Wisconsin which mostly sucks but I can brew lagers in the winter, Hefeweizens in the summer and all the pale ales I want in the spring and fall. 

Dont get get me wrong, it’s super nice to have full control. I want my Saison at 80, I set my controller to 80. I want my lager at 55, then I set it to 55. Im Just saying there’s options. In the winter I have a closet under my stairs that’s like 53ish so that’s where my lagers go. Then when I’m ready to give them a D rest, I just move the fermenter on the other side of the wall for a day or so and then Back in the closet it goes. 

I know ive preached this before but there is no magical number that works for all yeast. Grab a packet of something you’ve never used before, find out what styles it’s used for and brew with it.  Don’t limit yourself to 64 degree Ales or think you can’t do lagers without a controller. There like 7 billion yeast strains out there. Get to know some. 

Im not yelling at you specifically. Im just trying to educate. I’ve never seen my brewing idol Don Osborn with an inkbird in his closet. Not that I know of at least. 

@Fire Rooster spiedel makes some seriously nice products. But in the end, it’s still just another plastic bucket style fermenter. Save the cash and buy an ale pail. Wait for the devil Northern Brewer to run a promo on big mouth bubblers and get a brew hauler strap for it. So much cheaper. 

@every Brewer on here, it’s easy to get caught up in the thoughts of “im just ______ away from being able to do ______”. Trust me, that never ends. Ask my wife, she sees the packages arrive all the time. Shop smart, don’t be impulsive and learn contentment. That’s my advice to any Brewer anywhere. 

Thanks creeps.... I’m in north Texas. We really don’t get the 4 seasons reliably. We don’t have basements here either. Friday we were in the mid 80’s and Saturday we were in the 40’s. The coolers have been working well for me so far. Would like to have conical though. May go the inkbird route at some point. 

12 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Lol, @Creeps McLane on a roll! Guess I'm odd man out, but I like these little LBK'S  and producing a couple batches every 3 weeks. Storage would get to be a problem if I started going larger as I have other hobbies that take up space.

6 hours ago, Cato said:

Lol, @Creeps McLane on a roll! Guess I'm odd man out, but I like these little LBK'S  and producing a couple batches every 3 weeks. Storage would get to be a problem if I started going larger as I have other hobbies that take up space.

I feel the same.  Plus, if I make a batch of beer that turns out "meh" I'd rather have two gallons of it to drink than five.  :)

9 hours ago, Cato said:

True that.....I’m already thinking about how much beer I will have on hand this year. I’d better hit the gym religiously to balance. I am perfectly happy with the 2 gallon batches but I am intrigued by the trub removal system in the conicals. 5 gal batches seems like a lot. 

51 minutes ago, Jdub said:

True that.....I’m already thinking about how much beer I will have on hand this year. I’d better hit the gym religiously to balance. I am perfectly happy with the 2 gallon batches but I am intrigued by the trub removal system in the conicals. 5 gal batches seems like a lot. 

Tonight I dumped my trub in my ipa for the 4th time. It is super nice. Oh look, trub. Boom, gone. Tomorrow I’ll dump it one last time. There was a lot of hops in this one. I have a sight glass and it is sexy as hell to watch the action in there

I have two LBKs going at all times. I have been tempted to bring in a third. Does Mr. Beer add an ingredient that raises craving in beer like nicotine in cigarettes, because I am obsessed? All I want to do is to make all 90 something different beers. I am not even interested in store bought beer. 😋

1 hour ago, Marius said:

I have two LBKs going at all times. I have been tempted to bring in a third. Does Mr. Beer add an ingredient that raises interest in beer like nicotine in cigarettes, because I am obsessed? All I want to do is to make all 90 something different beers. I am not even interested in store bought beer. 

You are a victim of the obsession we call HOMEBREWING.  There is no cure, you now have the ability to only think about beer no matter what you are doing and to think of how everything you see could be used in your brewing process. 

Congratulations    :lol: