Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
epete28

Thunder Bay IPA Reloaded

9 posts in this topic

I ordered this recipe again. I thought my 1st attempt came out well, but I fell way short of the estimated abv. I still don't know what the hell happened because my OG was good. I still think it got stuck.

76shovel likes this

22 hours ago, epete28 said:

I ordered this recipe again. I thought my 1st attempt came out well, but I fell way short of the estimated abv. I still don't know what the hell happened because my OG was good. I still think it got stuck.

I am throwing my 1st bottle of this in the fridge next week. Really looking forward to it. My 1st PM recipe and properly temp controlled in my cooler. Never took an OG bc I didn’t have a hydrometer at the time. Hopefully will be posting a positive review on it soon. Good luck in round 2. 

Shrike and D Kristof like this

1 hour ago, Jdub said:

I am throwing my 1st bottle of this in the fridge next week. Really looking forward to it. My 1st PM recipe and properly temp controlled in my cooler. Never took an OG bc I didn’t have a hydrometer at the time. Hopefully will be posting a positive review on it soon. Good luck in round 2. 

Thanks! I mean, don't get me wrong, what I made was a solid IPA, but it was 1.2% below the estimated ABV. I think my techniques are better now though, I've gotta give it another shot. 

Jdub likes this

Hmm, I don't know, I got almost identical results 2nd time around. FG 1.020 the first time, and 1.019 now. No gonna sweat it though, just gonna carb it up and drink em like the last batch, lol.

Jdub likes this

Bottled my 3rd Thunder Bay this morning.  At 1 1/2 years into this hobby I still don't own a hydrometer.  I figure that way I'm not disappointed. ;)

Shrike and John K. like this

I kind of like checking my OG and FG. I log it into a spreadsheet along with the other data, and now experimenting with Qbrew it gives me a better understanding of what to realistically expect if I add grains, booster, LME, honey etc to a recipe.

Kind of fun for me anyway to play around and build to a starting OG, and then see if I finish out close enough to the FG. Then of course I drink the beer and try to figure out how to make it better the next time!

KaijuBrew and John K. like this

On 5/12/2018 at 10:55 AM, 76shovel said:

Bottled my 3rd Thunder Bay this morning.  At 1 1/2 years into this hobby I still don't own a hydrometer.  I figure that way I'm not disappointed. ;)

Same here.  Although I do have a refractometer.  I use it on high ABV brews to make sure fermentation is complete.

On 5/15/2018 at 7:44 AM, Shrike said:

Same here.  Although I do have a refractometer.  I use it on high ABV brews to make sure fermentation is complete.

Has anyone here seen a Mr Beer recipe go longer than 3 weeks (at the recommended temps) for complete fermentation?

No.  It's basically impossible, UNLESS the fermentation gets stuck.  I've been brewing for 6 years, I've brewed over 120 batches, and NEVER has a fermentation stuck.

Fermentation is complete well before 21 days.  However, the yeast need time to clean up.  That, combined with the fact that new brewers don't have a hydrometer, is why we recommend 21 days.