KaijuBrew

How does Mr. Beer create new recipies?

28 posts in this topic

I get excited when I see Mr. Beer create new recipes to sell to us!  Fun stuff to try!

I am curious - how does Mr. Beer develop new recipes?  Do these come over from Cooper's?  Is there a Mr. Beer test kitchen in Arizona?  And then how do you decide when to retire a recipe?  Ingredient availability?  A perceived flaw?  Do you shoot to have X number of new recipes per year?  

Any thoughts to share @MRB Josh B, @MRB Josh R, @MRB Rick, @MRB Tim would be greatly appreciated!

TonyKZ1, MRB Tim, Jdub and 1 other like this

Thanks @MRB Tim!  Any upcoming recipes you can preview?

I saw the Hazy IPA came and went pretty quickly.  I regret I did not get a chance to make that one.

And I enjoyed the Funky Budha hop stimulator clone last year!  I made 2 batches of that before it was gone.  (In fact I am drinking one now).

I am enjoying watching the twitch stream to see you guys make the beers and I am picking up some tips.  Like to add the hops without a muslin sack and then just cold crash the batch.

Keep pumping out the recipes because I find that makes it fun to keep up with the site!

youdontknowme311, MRB Tim and Jdub like this

12 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

Thanks @MRB Tim!  Any upcoming recipes you can preview?

I saw the Hazy IPA came and went pretty quickly.  I regret I did not get a chance to make that one.

And I enjoyed the Funky Budha hop stimulator clone last year!  I made 2 batches of that before it was gone.  (In fact I am drinking one now).

I am enjoying watching the twitch stream to see you guys make the beers and I am picking up some tips.  Like to add the hops without a muslin sack and then just cold crash the batch.

Keep pumping out the recipes because I find that makes it fun to keep up with the site!

I think the only thing with the Hazy IPA that MRB no longer has available is the Barbarian Yeast.  If you really want to brew it (and it IS damned good) you could order all of the other ingredients from MRB but order the Barbarian from another source.

As to the topic, I was discussing Witch's Flight (one of my favorite recipes) about a year or so ago.  MRBJosh mentioned that it was pretty much a happy accident that they came up with that one.  Apparently he was showing a new employee the ropes and grabbed a few ingredients he thought would go well together and voila, Witch's Flight was born.

KaijuBrew and MRB Tim like this

3 hours ago, Shrike said:

I think the only thing with the Hazy IPA that MRB no longer has available is the Barbarian Yeast.

Correct, it is a challenge to carry because it expires very quickly compared to dry yeast. 

3 hours ago, Shrike said:

Apparently he was showing a new employee the ropes and grabbed a few ingredients he thought would go well together and voila, Witch's Flight was born

And that employee was a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed MRB Tim learning how recipes work. If I recall correctly, he was going to show me That Voodoo That You Do, but we didn't have brown sugar or Golden LME on hand. 

KaijuBrew, D Kristof and Shrike like this

1 hour ago, MRB Tim said:

Correct, it is a challenge to carry because it expires very quickly compared to dry yeast. 

And that employee was a bright-eyed, busy-tailed MRB Tim learning how recipes work. If I recall correctly, he was going to show me That Voodoo That You Do, but we didn't have brown sugar or Golden LME on hand

We had the Golden LME. It's in the Witch's Flight. I think I just grabbed what was close. lol

MRB Tim, D Kristof and Shrike like this

17 hours ago, MRB Tim said:

Great questions! For our recipes, we get no guidance from Coopers, it's all us. Sometimes there's a commercial beer we want to emulate, sometimes we just try something and it comes out well, or it sounds good so we brew it. There is a test kitchen in which our Twitch stream takes place, so that's the best place to see it. We don't want to have too many recipes up on the website at once, because it gets confusing, so we typically stick to around the 80 or so top sellers. Lately we've been experimenting more with limited-release recipes, often having one or two ingredients that we get in a limited stock, sell through, and discontinue. It's been proving pretty popular. There isn't a set number to release, but we all brew as much as we can. 

So, sometimes we have a plan, and go through a few trials until we nail it, but sometimes it's just a happy accident. 

What a load of crap!  I am actually privy to the process of how new recipes are created:

Step 1 - @MRB Josh R sits in the janitorial closet, in the dark, and thinks.  This takes a great deal of effort, and causes him to profusely sweat, so he's not in the closet for quiet, but to keep his sweat stink away from others.  Here is a picture of him thinking about new recipes:

wpthink.gif

Step 2 - When he doesn't come up with enough recipes, he gets punished.  You'll see a picture of the punishment that @MRB Rick imposes on @MRB Josh R below, showing Josh and @MRB Tim being punished for lack of creativity.  

March of the Wooden Soldiers - #29 in the stocks.png

Step 3 - Finally, our heroes go in the warehouse and see what they have excess of, and then create recipes.  Here they are chasing a helpless warehouse employee:  

clowns in warehouse.jpg

Step 4 - Recipes are completed, typed into the website and published.

56 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Did he just say that Oliver Hardy looked like Hitler?  

Go ahead, ignore the truth

You got it all wrong! I am not some tyrant sitting on a throne. I am more of a revered elder. (cough, gag) Sorry, I just spit my coffee all over my screen.

A little bit of everything above is what happens. Sometimes they just happen and other times we really plan it. A couple of my favorite accidents were the original Sumatra Stout and Bengal Tiger IPA. Josh has ramped up the style a bit recently to make sure we are sticking to some sort of guideline, but sometimes just throwing something together creates something interesting.

MRB Tim, KaijuBrew and MRB Josh R like this

When doing most recipes, I start with the numbers of a particular style first (usually going by the BJCP guidelines, but there is a lot of room for experimentation): ABV, SRM, IBU, OG, FG, etc. Once I have the numbers down for the style or clone I'm brewing, I then take a look at the ingredients themselves. Then I try to combine them in a way that matches up to all of those numbers. I use a couple of different software programs for this, including Beersmith and Qbrew, but I also use a special in-house spreadsheet that helps verify the numbers in case the software was inaccurate.

Other times, I just throw a bunch of ingredients together and see what happens.

6 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

When doing most recipes, I start with the numbers of a particular style first (usually going by the BJCP guidelines, but there is a lot of room for experimentation): ABV, SRM, IBU, OG, FG, etc. Once I have the numbers down for the style or clone I'm brewing, I then take a look at the ingredients themselves. Then I try to combine them in a way that matches up to all of those numbers. I use a couple of different software programs for this, including Beersmith and Qbrew, but I also use a special in-house spreadsheet that helps verify the numbers in case the software was inaccurate.

Other times, I just throw a bunch of ingredients together and see what happens.

In summary, some times @MRB Josh R gives in to temptation and goes all mad scientist and stuff? 😮...I'm shocked and disillusioned by that revelation. 

MRB Tim, KaijuBrew and MRB Josh R like this

9 minutes ago, D Kristof said:

In summary, some times @MRB Josh R gives in to temptation and goes all mad scientist and stuff? 😮...I'm shocked and disillusioned by that revelation. 

I'm thinking that's how Novacaine came about.  MRB Josh found an American Ale, Aztec Cerveza, and St. Pat's that were all expired, threw them together with an LME and some hops, and VOILA!, one of MRB's most expensive recipes.

The thing is, it's good.  REAL friggin' good!  :)

Jdub, D Kristof, MRB Josh R and 1 other like this

13 hours ago, Shrike said:

I'm thinking that's how Novacaine came about.  MRB Josh found an American Ale, Aztec Cerveza, and St. Pat's that were all expired, threw them together with an LME and some hops, and VOILA!, one of MRB's most expensive recipes.

Novacaine was created before my time here, but yeah, that's pretty much what happened from what I heard.

20 hours ago, Shrike said:

Gotta say Novocaine is an excellent recipe!  My all time favorite is lock stock and barrel stout.  But Novocaine is close.

Shrike likes this

I wonder - is there a way to improve Novocaine with a partial Mash?  Any more I always add at least a Carapils partial mash to any recipe.  I did not do that with the Novocaine I brewed though.

On 4/10/2018 at 0:15 PM, MRB Josh R said:

Don't worry, guys. There's another hazy on the way. Stay tuned.... ;)

Josh a few months ago I suggested an asian style (rice beer) and you seemed interested. Any progress on that? 

Marius and KaijuBrew like this

Please just make sure all the recipes go in the archive so we can still make them later if you run out of the kits of ingredients.

I think I am seeing this I the Customer Support Recipe section but don't lose any!

KaijuBrew likes this

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 0:07 PM, RickBeer said:

What a load of crap!  I am actually privy to the process of how new recipes are created:

Step 1 - @MRB Josh R sits in the janitorial closet, in the dark, and thinks.  This takes a great deal of effort, and causes him to profusely sweat, so he's not in the closet for quiet, but to keep his sweat stink away from others.  Here is a picture of him thinking about new recipes:

wpthink.gif

I cannot believe you trashed and defiled my childhood memories of pooh bear....really.....how could you....now, I'm gonna have to drink more beer and try to forget this atrocity

D Kristof likes this

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:12 PM, MRB Rick said:

sometimes just throwing something together creates something interesting.

Yeah, you guys throwing something together makes something good....if I do it, it will result in a disgusting mess that means I either try to stomach the disaster or throw 40 bucks or so down the drain....for the record, I have NEVER put any beer down the drain

Shrike, D Kristof and Bonsai & Brew like this