Mr.Beer Community

Hello All,

I am a new brewer and I am only on my second batch.  It is the Classic American Light that came with my kit.  I am 2 1/2 weeks into fermentation and I did a taste test today.  It tasted like beer (flat beer) which was great but it was cloudy.  Is this normal and if so will it go away or is there something special I need to do to get nice clear beer?

9 minutes ago, Palmetto Brew said:

Hello All,

I am a new brewer and I am only on my second batch.  It is the Classic American Light that came with my kit.  I am 2 1/2 weeks into fermentation and I did a taste test today.  It tasted like beer (flat beer) which was great but it was cloudy.  Is this normal and if so will it go away or is there something special I need to do to get nice clear beer?

If you sampled from the LBK then it’s cloudy cuz of the yeast / trub that settled on the inside of the spigot. Totally normal. All my HME batches are crystal clear. Even the wheats. Yours will be fine

be sure to sanitize that spigot now before bottling. You will have beer gunk in it otherwise and possibly infect your batch when bottling.

You probably got a good amount of trub in that sample (if you're really gassy later on, that's the reason).  Trub settles around the spigot so the first bottle is usually cloudy.  I label it the Trub Bottle when bottling and it's usually the first one I try after conditioning.

Ways to reduce the amount of trub around the spigot:

1)  Prop up the spigot end of the LBK during fermentation.  Some use a CD case.  I use wood molding that's about 1/2" thick.

2)  Cold Crash before bottling.

Here is my advice for what its worth as I do not have the experience that the above members have but I am speaking from recently learned situations.

1. Cold crash for 3 days
2. Clean spigot before you bottle with sanitiser
3. when bottling do so at an angle so you have no air bubbles (even better use a wand if you can)
4. condition longer than you think you need to. 6 weeks should be the best I usually go for 4 because I am impatient. 
5. When you chill your bottles let them set for 3 days i learned this one on my own not sure how the others feel about this but it seems to taste much better after 3 days.
6 do not get discouraged if you american light does not turn out the way you thought. This was my least favourite so far and my first but most is probably due to being my first. y second was Octoberfest and it was amazing. 
7. read read talk to these wise brewers on the forum and check out the feeds on twitch they will answer your every question even ones you didnt know you had. 

59 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

If you sampled from the LBK then it’s cloudy cuz of the yeast / trub that settled on the inside of the spigot. Totally normal. All my HME batches are crystal clear. Even the wheats. Yours will be fine

be sure to sanitize that spigot now before bottling. You will have beer gunk in it otherwise and possibly infect your batch when bottling.

Yeah it is an LBK.  Sweet!!  I know it isn't anything fancy but it taste like good light beer. Thanks for advice and the info!

1 hour ago, Shrike said:

You probably got a good amount of trub in that sample (if you're really gassy later on, that's the reason).  Trub settles around the spigot so the first bottle is usually cloudy.  I label it the Trub Bottle when bottling and it's usually the first one I try after conditioning.

Ways to reduce the amount of trub around the spigot:

1)  Prop up the spigot end of the LBK during fermentation.  Some use a CD case.  I use wood molding that's about 1/2" thick.

2)  Cold Crash before bottling.

I won't be able to cold crash right now but at least I know to prop the front next time.  I do have a bottling wand will the trub clog it up while trying to fill them?  Good info thanks!

16 minutes ago, Timelordjason said:

Here is my advice for what its worth as I do not have the experience that the above members have but I am speaking from recently learned situations.

1. Cold crash for 3 days
2. Clean spigot before you bottle with sanitiser
3. when bottling do so at an angle so you have no air bubbles (even better use a wand if you can)
4. condition longer than you think you need to. 6 weeks should be the best I usually go for 4 because I am impatient. 
5. When you chill your bottles let them set for 3 days i learned this one on my own not sure how the others feel about this but it seems to taste much better after 3 days.
6 do not get discouraged if you american light does not turn out the way you thought. This was my least favourite so far and my first but most is probably due to being my first. y second was Octoberfest and it was amazing. 
7. read read talk to these wise brewers on the forum and check out the feeds on twitch they will answer your every question even ones you didnt know you had. 

Great advice thanks!  I won't be able to cold crash yet but the rest I can cover (I'll have to try one after 4 weeks conditioning because it's killing me already!!).

1 minute ago, Timelordjason said:

As soon as your able to cold crash i would it really does matter. just put the LBK in the fridge for 3 days is all you have to do and bottle while it is cold really clears it all up.

Oh I thought it had to be near freezing.  I do have room in an outside fridge that I can put it in, not sure exactly how cold it gets (I'll have to get a thermometer and check) but it won't get down to near freezing.  So after 3 weeks fermenting then 3 days cold crash and another 25 days minimum before 3 days in the fridge??

10 hours ago, RickBeer said:

No.

3-4.  3 weeks fermenting then 4 weeks or longer conditioning at room temp.  Cold crash for 3 days in between if you want.  3 days in fridge before drinking, pour gently into glass not disturbing trub in bottle.

And tilt the LBK when bottling.

Exactly what I was trying to say but you said it less confusing I think.

On 4/11/2018 at 9:23 PM, Palmetto Brew said:

Hello All,

Totally normal.  

Kevin