Yuma Blood

My order arrives today!

10 posts in this topic

I ordered 2 of the Black Beer'd Porter kits. Looking forward to making these on saturday. One i will make per instructions. The other i want to add a couple things. 

Want to add toasted coconut and cocoa nibs. Does this sound right? Let ferment for one week then place these two items in a muslin sack and add to LBK for 2 weeks? Thanks everybody.

MRB Tim likes this

54 minutes ago, Palmetto Brew said:

Sweet, make more beer, drink more beer!

For sure. I want to brew a batch and bottle a batch every weekend. Ordering more LBK's and bottles.

I do like the ease of use of the LBK. The size fits into a cooler nicely if need be. You can also fit one into a mini fridge. or 4 or more into a full size fridge. Brewing a variety of brews at once is a plus also. I'm coming up on my first year brewing in June, and I am on my 31st through 34th batches now. I don't think i'll brew any other method than the LBK. I have 8 LBK's i use in rotation now, while 4 are cold crashing I start 4 more. Brew on!

Marius and Shrike like this

1 hour ago, DEFbrewer said:

I do like the ease of use of the LBK. The size fits into a cooler nicely if need be. You can also fit one into a mini fridge. or 4 or more into a full size fridge. Brewing a variety of brews at once is a plus also. I'm coming up on my first year brewing in June, and I am on my 31st through 34th batches now. I don't think i'll brew any other method than the LBK. I have 8 LBK's i use in rotation now, while 4 are cold crashing I start 4 more. Brew on!

Thats awesome! I want to do the same thing. Have different flavors going on at the same time etc. I just have to invest in more bottles and LBK's. Thanks for the reply.

Not right. Porters can have a chocolate or coffee undertone, but I don't see coconut as a flavoring. Perhaps it's me, and it is your beer to do as you please. I think the MB recipe is good without the coconut. To get to your question, yes, add it to a clean muslin sac a week or so in. Minimize the time the LBK is open, Hold the lid in one hand, do not place it on a surface, and slip in the sac.

Yuma Blood likes this

On 4/14/2018 at 6:16 AM, Brian N. said:

Not right. Porters can have a chocolate or coffee undertone, but I don't see coconut as a flavoring. Perhaps it's me, and it is your beer to do as you please. I think the MB recipe is good without the coconut. To get to your question, yes, add it to a clean muslin sac a week or so in. Minimize the time the LBK is open, Hold the lid in one hand, do not place it on a surface, and slip in the sac.

Thanks. I bought a coconut porter before and liked it so tinkering with the idea.

D Kristof likes this

If you liked it - go for it. Just minimize exposure once you open the keg, and use a sterile spoon to transfer the chocolate and coconut pieces. 

Yuma Blood likes this