Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KaijuBrew

Best Haze of our Lives

10 posts in this topic

So . . . I was excited to try to buy "the best haze of our lives" recipe today.  When I tried to order, the store said it could not because it was "out of muslin sacks".  Now the item is out of stock.  Here is hoping it comes back Monday - I'd like to try it!

45 minutes ago, KaijuBrew said:

Here is hoping it comes back Monday - I'd like to try it!

Sorry, guys, we're working on it! Thanks for waiting. 

KaijuBrew likes this

54 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

Sorry, guys, we're working on it! Thanks for waiting. 

Thanks Tim!

I was looking at the instructions and it says to add dark grain water to the other grains and then boil. I don't see any dark grains and wondering if it got copied from another recipe.

16 hours ago, youdontknowme311 said:

I was looking at the instructions and it says to add dark grain water to the other grains and then boil. I don't see any dark grains and wondering if it got copied from another recipe.

As I read the instructions for the "Best Haze of our lives", the grains all get partial mashed together at the beginning when you start the brew water.

https://www.mrbeer.com/the-best-haze-of-our-lives

16 hours ago, youdontknowme311 said:

Okay - I think I see the confusion.  In step 7, it says to "add the dark grain water", the water really isn't going anywhere.  You are just adding more stuff to it as the recipe goes on.  Some of the hops, the the LMEs, etc.  The instruction should probably changed to say, 

"Take the dark grain want you steeped earlier . . . . ."

Here are the instructions

1. Using a measuring cup, pour 4-8 cups of water into your clean 3-quart or larger pot (Use enough water to cover the grains).
  2. Mix the grains well (oats and 2-row) and add them to a Muslin Hop Sack, and bring your water up to 165 degrees F.
  3. Add the grain sack to the hot water and steep for 45 minutes between 155-165 degrees.
  4. Carefully lift the grain sack out of the pot and place into a strainer/colander. Rinse the sack over the pot with 1 cup of hot water. Let drain. Do NOT squeeze the grain bag. Discard grain bag.
  5. Remove the yeast packet from under the lid of the Brewing Extract (you won’t be using this), then place the unopened can in hot tap water.
  6. Bring the grain water to a boil and remove from heat.
  7. Add the dark grain water you steeped earlier and bring the wort to a low rolling boil, then add the hop sack and let simmer at a low boil for 5 minutes.
  8. After the 5 minute boil has passed, remove from heat.
  9. Open the can of Brewing Extract and the LME Softpack, pour the contents into the hot grain water. Stir until thoroughly mixed. This mixture of unfermented beer is called “wort”.

. . . . .

@MRB Tim, the instructions are confusing some customers.

I would bet $1000 that the "add the dark grain water..." line does not belong and is the result of not proofreading the recipe before posting.  Then I'd put up another $250 that the written instructions for ChromosBeer were used as a template for this recipe as the "dark grain water" line comes from it verbatim (step 8).

46 minutes ago, Shrike said:

@MRB Tim, the instructions are confusing some customers.

I would bet $1000 that the "add the dark grain water..." line does not belong and is the result of not proofreading the recipe before posting.  Then I'd put up another $250 that the written instructions for ChromosBeer were used as a template for this recipe as the "dark grain water" line comes from it verbatim (step 8).

Yea I just figured it got carried over from another recipe that actually uses dark grains. 

On 4/16/2018 at 11:44 AM, MRB Tim said:

Alright, hop sack error should be fixed and instruction error (@Shrike nailed it, btw) is getting fixed. 

The printable instructions link for this recipe, may still need correction.